Over 200,000 people playing Skyrim on Steam

Friday, 11th November 2011 21:28 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

If you happen to glance at the Steam Game Stat tracker, you’ll notice that as of this post, 223,174 people are playing The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim at the moment. From this, we can pretty much deduce that the game has at least sold close to 250,000 copies on PC already. In second is Modern Warfare 3′s multiplayer, with 68,397, down from 78,161 earlier today. Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Yoshi

Dear god! XD I didn’t realise how big Skyrim was :P

Also I’ve gotta say it; So who said PC gaming was dying? XD

2. BULArmy

Steph stop drinking, because you don’t see numbers correctly, according to you 22 million play the game.
    And than PC gaming is dead, take that MW3 :D

3. Erthazus

22 million?

Woah. PC version of SKYRIM outsold MW3 on all platforms. You see? When you drink much you can… :D

4. Stephany Nunneley

Oh give your girl a break. I have worked 60 hours this week, I am tired. Also the “11″ didn’t get deleted.

Also that number is up to 229,854 now.

5. GrimRita

Ouch! That is a lot. Maybe I will break my own personal rules and buy a ported game.

6. Old MacDonald

I think we can deduce that it’s sold quite a lot more than 250k copies on the PC, as it’s extremely unlikely that everyone are playing at the same time.

7. bpcgos

PC gamer sure have taste!

8. deadstoned

It got to 231,593 and is now back to 200,000. I’ve never seen a game played more on Steam.

9. silkvg247

And yet they optimized it for console, and it shows.

Utter bloody idiots.

And yey more rebind key bugs. Not getting tired of those at all now.

10. Phoenixblight

300k of PC users is a drop in the ocean for them. Bet you that the 360 and the PS3 have at least 1 million sold each. Bathesda had stated multiple times that the money is where the console is don’t like it don’t buy the game.

I have had no issues with Skyrim and I am enjoying the game a lot. Babies gonna cry.

11. ultramega

That’s a great attitude to have. Because you’ve had no issues, everyone else is a “cry baby”. Be sure to remember that the next time a PC game gives you any issues.

12. Phoenixblight

That wasn’t my point, he was complaining about the game being built for the console and then given to the PC. I stated why that is.

I was not stating because I have yet to experience issues that means everyone else isn’t either and those that are having issues are “crying” The people whining about a game being built for the console which is leading the industry, its 10:1 console vs PC games being sold.

I have had issues with PC games(RAGE anyone?), I don’t whine about the console market taking over. I complain about the companies not focusing more on the port to make sure it at least matches the leading platform.

13. ultramega

Oh, okay. My bad then. Was just hard to tell. I agree with what you’re saying there.

14. John117

Proud member of those 200.000 people playing Skyrim on steam :P

15. rainer

Maybe it’s just me but those numbers don’t seem all that impressive, they look like the numbers you see from XBLA/PSN games.

16. Old MacDonald

“300k of PC users is a drop in the ocean for them.” – Hardly. 300k is not a drop in the ocean for anyone in this business, especially considering that the margins are better with digital distribution. And 300k is an extremely conservative estimate – the numbers from Steam are the amount of people playing AT THE SAME TIME. The world is round, et.c.

17. Phoenixblight

Thanks for reading into it. I never said it’s a hard number that never changes, its a rough estimate. The point still remains that PC vs console there is no comparison.

18. DSB

It’s safe to say that Skyrim is the biggest game on Steam by a grotesque margin. When Team Fortress 2 went free, it only managed half.

19. Lounds

Usually CS 1.6 is the top playing game most days for steam lol.