Brian Gomez exits Silent Hill: Downpour studio Vatra Games

Saturday, 5th November 2011 17:27 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Brian Gomez, the design director for Silent Hill: Downpour, has announced his departure from Vatra Games.

As of October 31, he was no longer working with the firm. The main reason cited, was the commute from his Los Angeles home to Brno, Czech Republic which resulted in long stints away from his family.

“When it was announced that Downpour was being delayed to 2012, my family and I came to the decision that I couldn’t keep making the commute between Los Angeles and Brno for another 4-6 months,” Gomez explained to the Silent Hill Historical Society.

“Downpour is so close to completion, there’s not a lot more that I can personally do for the project that Devin, Tomm, and Marek Berka cannot handle on their own. I gave my notice a few weeks ago, setting Halloween as my last day.”

As far as Gomez’s future plans are concerned, he said ideas for his next project are in the works, and it will contain survival horror elements he wanted to implement into Downpour that Konami wasn’t interest in.

“Yes, you can rest assured that some of the projects I’m looking at are survival horror related,” he said. “There’s a lot of things I still want to do in this genre that Konami simply didn’t let me do.”

Silent Hill: Downpour is due in March 2012.

Thanks, Gematsu.

1. Phoenixblight

Downpour is coming out in March, the Book of Memories is coming out in February.

2. Stephany Nunneley

@1 Drat. Yeah. Too many Silent Hill dates on the old brain.

3. absolutezero

Hooray! He’s the guy that tired to say The Cult was not important in Silent Hill and that Downpour only really took inspiration from 2. I think I might be a bit too late for Downpour but eh, hope remains that its not going to be another run around of guilt personified.

Oh who am I kidding its going to be exactly that.

4. Phoenixblight

THats why SIlent Hill 2 was perfect it didn’t work off the cult factor, it was a self sustaining story that had no connection to the previous Silent Hill’s other than the area and the mention of things in the documents. Good riddance with that cult shit and I can’t wait for Downpour. Best horror movies and games are when the threat is clearly not defined.

5. triggerhappy

@Phoenixblight: “Best horror movies and games are when the threat is clearly not defined.”

Exactly. Downpour is one of my most anticipated titles next year. And yeh, down with all the cult rubbish.

6. absolutezero

The cult is what makes Silent Hill Silent Hill. The cult has its finger prints all over 2 aswell you know, theres just not a figure like Vincent or Dalia to make the influence obvious.

2deep4u obviously. The first 4 (yes 4) games have far far more to offer than just simply whats contained in Silent Hill 2, in fact I would say that the Silent Hill 2 seam is well and truely tapped.

7. absolutezero

Actually just watch this and skip forward to 5:45, they explain it better than I ever could :

8. Phoenixblight

And I still agree with everything Devin Shatsky said which has nothing to do with Brain Gomez leaving, Devin Shatsky is still working for Vatra. THe Occult stuff is not necessary and should be rejected. Silent Hill 3 ended the Occult stuff and there is no need to continue off of it.

Silent Hill games have only had 2 games that had the cult. 1 and 3, SIlent Hill 2 hinted at what SIlent Hill was but didn’t clarify what was going in the town. SIlent Hill 4 was never planned to be a Silent Hill but since it was not seen as profitable as a standalone title they tagged on the SIlent Hill name and put some things into it that hinted that it was related to SIlent Hill. Homecoming doesn’t count since it was based on the Hollywood adpation and Origins doesn’t count either because Konami said it is not cannon and even it were it would make no sense. Then SHattered Memories which doesn’t count either since it is based on the player’s choice, and kind of a what if. SO what do you have? Just two games that are based on the Occult which leaves little to no evidence to support what you claim.

9. absolutezero

Oh right so just fucking completely dis-regard the entire fucking series of games based of arbritary reasons, good show carry on.

Discounting 4 altogethor because it started off as a spin-off is just being silly, like devil May Cry being discounted as its own being because it started off as Resident Evil 4. It was more than early enough into its production for it to be classed as a full Silent Hill game and look its full of occultism.

Now here the main thing, the biggest thing. All of the game produced by the original memebers of Team Silent (1,2 and 3) all concerned the cult and the effect on the town. They each looked into different parts of the cult and the town itself and its influence on what was happening.

If you remove the cult completely (remember just because there was not an active cult member 2 does’nt mean their fingerprints are’nt everywhere), then its barely Silent Hill. It should not be labelled as such.

10. triggerhappy

@ Phoenix & Absolute: The cult thing was fine in SH1 when there was a bit of mystery about it, but in SH3 they flat out tried to make the cult relative to EVERYTHING that was going on. That would have been fine but they created SH’s two shittest characters to do it. Vincent is acceptable-ish I suppose but that other one, the woman… damn she was crap. In my opinion thats when the cult story line took a turn for the worst, they tried to explain too much which totally opposes 1 & 2′s “let’s NOT try to explain too much” philosophy. Horror is much more horrific when there is no straight up logical answer. Instead of the occult story thread I much prefer the Indian one, who knows what atrocities were commited to do the Indians out of their land (The Shining, anyone??). Thats not to say that the Indian & Occult storys cannot co-exist, I think they can go hand in hand but I find it hard to enjoy the cult story as much after 3.

11. triggerhappy

The Occult story in SH1 was more about it being some sort of weird religion that happened as a result of all the other weird goings on. They people involved wanted Silent Hill to stay the same little backwards town that no one knew anything about because it held a terrible secret, so terrible that the name of the town was changed to try and make a clean break from its past (definitely Indian related). These people did things in the background like see to the ‘accidental’ death of town developers & others who wanted to modernise Silent Hill and make it more of a tourist attraction. You could imagine the people involved in this were people whose familys had been in Silent Hill for generations, people who knew of the towns origins, a gathering of people who held an influence over the town in a shaddy, twisted, secretive way. Dahlia was perfect for this, so was Kaufmann.

Then SH3 came along and gave us their version of the cult, a version that was far removed from the original vision I think.

12. Phoenixblight

“Here was me thinking that without the cult and what they did in the first game the entire second game could not have taken place. At all. Also Silent Hill historical society, also shit loads of other places and appearences in the second game.”

Again they hinted at a dark past and not just with the cult but always the area being tied to an Indian tribe which hints that it may be the cult that is not directly tied to what is going on in Silent Hill.

You can believe whatever you want but Silent Hill does need for the occult stuff you can hint at it like Silent Hill 2 but you do not need to go the route of Silent Hill 1 and 3 or even Homecoming. It ruins the whole fear factor. Its why I liked Silent Hill 2 it gave a perception of what SIlent Hill was to an outsider, same for Origin as well and I am glad Downpour will be doing the same.