Quick Quotes: Rockstar “deliberately avoiding” developing a FPS, says Houser

Thursday, 27th October 2011 20:32 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

“We’re deliberately avoiding [first-person shooters] right now. It’s in our DNA to avoid doing what other companies are doing. I suppose you could say that Max Payne 3 is something close to an FPS, but there are really unique aspects to the setting and gameplay there, too, not just in the story. You have to have originality in your games; you have to have some kind of interesting message. You could say that the goalpoint of Rockstar is to have the players really feel what we’re trying to do.” – Rockstar VP Dan Houser to Famitsu, via 1UP. Thanks, Yoshi.

1. Dark

I love you R* keep up the good work
    we don’t need generic FPS games .

2. DSB

Yeah. We really need more boring, pseudo-realist sandboxes.

3. DarkElfa

No DSB, we need better pseudo-realist sandboxes.

4. GenericShooterSoldier

@ 2

How can you say that?! Max Payne is a story driven experience not open world. Red Dead Redemption is one of the single most greatest gaming experiences of not only this generation of all time. GTA is an open world game that sells like hot cakes cause its so detailed and enjoyable.

So you tell me why Rockstar are wrong in making sandbox games when they alse manages to flesh them out and make them story driven? Rockstar have done everything right, they dont cash in on their proven series’ they develop them and expand on them cause they love them as much as the fans.

5. Ireland Michael

@4 Agreed on Red Dead Redemption, but Max Payne’s story was downright terrible, and the gameplay was poor as hell to boot.

6. DSB

@3 Fair point.

@4 I’m not saying their games are bad, just incredibly boring.

Red Dead Redemption would be one of the most overrated games this decade if it wasn’t for the likes of Mass Effect 2 or Deus Ex: HR.

I don’t see how they flesh them out at all, if anything they strip them. The thing they consistently get wrong these days is the pacing. It’s so unbearably slow, and the conversations are so incredibly inane. I can’t play GTA IV anymore without skipping the cutscenes.

It’s so mindnumbing. I used to love playing Rockstar games because I knew I’d be hooked immediately, and they wouldn’t let me go until the end. These days it’s the opposite. I have to fight my way through a bunch of pointless banter and boring unneccesary cutscenes just so I can go on a “Shoot these folks” or “Fetch this thing” or “Race this guy” mission, which is the exact same shit they’ve been doing for years, only dressed up, and introduced through drudging, pointless cutscenes.

I can see why people like Red Dead Redemption though. It is a good game with some enjoyable mechanics, but it’s still slower than fuck, and it’s hardly the “True Grit” or “Fistful of Dollars” of videogames, that some people make it out to be.

It’s pretty much missing everything that made those movies great.

7. DarkElfa

@4, I hated you half way through your third sentence.

8. Ireland Michael

Welcome to VG247, GenericShooterSoldier. Don’t worry, #7′s post is pretty much your typical greeting around here!

You’ll develop a thick skin to it quickly enough.

9. GenericShooterSoldier

Iron Mike u didnt like Max Payne’s story or the gameplay? I for one love the Max Payne series and feel its so unique due to its atmosphere and whenever i play it i instantly get pulled into it.

@ 6

I maybe in a way agree with u on the fact that their games can get repetative and boring but i feel they counter this with the fact that they dont regularly release the same kind of game within the same period.

In my opinion the one thing they do get right every time is the meticulous detail and depth they put in their games. I also feel the pacing is always perfect. Just look at Red Dead which for me every mission is incredibly memorable even the opening shooting the rabbits to taking down Javier Escuella. In this way i feel they do compare perfectly with the movies. I myself am a huge Western and Noir fan and for me i loved every minute of Red dead and didnt find it slow. The same for Max Payne and La noire and GTA 4.

@ 8 Haha cheers dont worry im used to forum slating even when they have nothing to back up their opinion other than an insult. Ive followed VG 247 for a long time and decided the time was right to start posting. Thanks for the Welcome

10. The_Deleted

I’m with DSB on this one. Loved R* last gen. This gen. They’ve consistently bored the shit out of me.

11. DSB

@9 Different strokes for different folks. Like I said I can see why people like Red Dead Redemption, but I don’t see why it’s supposedly the best game in ages.

Rockstar have never done a Max Payne game except for the ports, so I guess we’ll give them the benefit of the doubt on that one. LA Noire was entirely underwhelming. Why tout the facial technology when everything else looks like shit?

People say the ending is amazing, but I was so bored halfway through that I didn’t feel like going staying with it long enough to see it. I loved Police Quest, but this just didn’t go the distance.

12. GenericShooterSoldier

@ 10

By last-gen are you just talking GTA, Bully and Manhunt mainly?

@ 11

I guess im one of the rare few who loved La Noire. For me it just offered a change of pace and was something different.

13. DSB

@12 Not the few, people seemed to love it. I’m just weird I guess :P

The games I love from Rockstar is the likes of GTA 3, Vice City, Bully and San Andreas. San Andreas mostly for the features, because even then they were going the way of the psuedo-realistic story, and it just isn’t working.

People don’t want to see the banal lives of criminals, they want to see the interesting bits instead. I don’t care how they brush their teeth and talk to their family on the phone.

14. Ireland Michael

@9 See, here’s the difference between someone like DSB and someone like GIGA.

DSB will properly discuss the subject with you, and his viewpoint on it, even if you vehemently disagree with his opinion. GIGA will… just call you a troll.

Do stick around. <3

15. Yoshi

Aww no thumbs up for me? :( I posted it in the News thread earlier today.

16. Ireland Michael

*gives Yoshi two thumbs up*

17. Yoshi

:D Yay I can now sleep tonight!

18. fearmonkey

@4 – I never finished Red Dead Redemption, got bored to tears, and would highly disagree that its one of the best gaming experiences of all time, though maybe of this console generation.
    But then again, I love sandbox games but rockstar’s GTA games mostly leave me bored after while.

@Ireland Michael – Man, first you diss Deus Ex:Hr, now you smack down another favorite remedy’s Max Payne games. The Jury is still out of Rockstar’s Max payne is going to stay faithful to what made the first games great (at least to me).

19. Ireland Michael

@18 This one might be great. I don’t know. I just know what playing the first two that I thought they were horrible looking games with terrible gameplay mechanics and an extremely pretentious art style and story.

20. Clupula

Bravo, guys. I don’t mind that there are so many FPS games out there, since whenever any genre is popular, it becomes saturated (see the fighting genre in the 90′s), but it’s annoying how samey they all are. Regenerating health, only two weapons, blah blah blah.

And for the record, I’ve never enjoyed a Max Payne game but I have loved most of the other stuff Rockstar has done (Lost and the Damned excluded).

21. Stephany Nunneley

@ Yoshi – sorry I must have missed it. I will rectify the situation immediately!

*Two thumbs and five toes up*

*and a massive hug*

22. Yoshi

:D Yay whoop… I feel loved :P haha

23. Ireland Michael

I asked her nicely for you Yoshi. Hehehe.

24. klewd

have the housers started doing interviews? i thought they were of the secretive kind?

i think it’s great if they have. they are obviously very talented and it’s interesting to hear their opinions.

25. GenericShooterSoldier

@ Fearmonkey

I guess you must just not be a Western fan then if u didnt like Red Dead? At least we agree Max Payne 1 and 2 were brilliant.

@ Klewd

The Housers are a little sheltered i think but they have done interviews from time to time i know. The Housers, Ken Levine and Hideo Kojima- three game developers who’s opinions i always have time for