Netflix to launch in UK and Ireland “early 2012″

Monday, 24th October 2011 08:44 GMT By Johnny Cullen

US movie streamer Netflix has announced this morning it’ll introduce Netflix to the UK and Republic of Ireland by early next year.

The UK and Ireland will be the first two countries in Europe to have the service.

The company said it will be supported “via a range of consumer electronics devices capable of streaming from Netflix, as well as on PCs, Macs and mobile tablets and phones,” although details on supported devices haven’t been confirmed other than they will be “closer to launch.”

Netflix is currently available on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii and Nintendo 3DS in the US, where users are currently able to stream “unlimited” movies and TV shows.

The only other similar service of note is LoveFilm, which is currently only available to PS3 owners in the UK. It will be coming to Xbox 360 owners in the fall update, though.

1. Johnny Cullen

I reckon this could be bye bye for Lovefilm. Netflix has a huge backing in the US, and I’d be hugely surprised if it didn’t carry over for the UK and Irish launch.

2. BraveArse

Me too, I’m about to cancel my LF sub. It’s good enough to begin with, but their choice of movies to stream over PS3 is very rarely updated compared to the PC. Very frustrating.

3. Dannybuoy

Good news. Lovefilm is a crock of shite

4. Fin

Excellent!

Though this is all about the library – if it’s good, their subscriber numbers will rocket.

5. Ireland Michael

If they add this to Xbox Live over here in Ireland… I may never leave my house ever again.

6. varsas

@1: Perhaps but Lovefilm is backed by Amazon and that must count for something?

7. OlderGamer

I’d wait and see if I were you folks. Netflix is great here in the states, however it really does come down to what is offered. And of course having enough bandwidth to make it worth doing.

If Netflix can get the liscencing in your teritories, this is a game changer. But, if like LF, their selections are low due to lack of streamable content … I would just wait and see is all.

NF would offer more content here but the liscence holders have started to get wise, they see sales of DVD based products droping, and now withhold liscencing to demand higher prices in order to make up for revenue losses. They are constantly reworking deals.

Its why we have a NF price hike, and why content comes and goes(for periods of time) off of our streaming selections.

I am not suggesting that NF is bad or not worth the subscription here in NA. But I would make sure it was also worth the sub in your neck of the woods before I canceled current subs amnd jumped head first in.

8. Ireland Michael

@7 Services like this in Ireland are almost completely non-existent, so anything will be better than what we have no.

My only major concern is how B Sky B will impact on what Netflix might be able to offer here. They have something of a monopoly on media distribution, but Ireland is surprisingly good at getting some of the top rated American stuff really early, often even before England, so we may have some hope there.