SWTOR flashpoints detailed by Bioware during NYCC panel

Tuesday, 18th October 2011 16:18 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

During a Star Wars: The Old Republic panel at New York Comic Con last week, Bioware provided some extra information pertaining to the MMO’s flashpoints. Turns out, 15 of SWTOR’s version of instances will be made available at launch.

Each one will be available to players at varying levels, with “several” saved for level 50 players and endgame content. Flashpoints will be repeatable for rewards and experience points, along with a hard mode available upon the first completion.

The MMO’s director, James Ohlen, stated during the panel, that Bioware would not be implementing an automated system for grouping in these flashpoints – which would be akin to WoW’s dungeon finder – as the team felt such inclusions “take away from the world.”

Bioware also introduced the third and final Warzone, or PvP area of the game, which will be made available at launch. Called Void Star, it shows players working together to either plant explosives on a ship, or defend said ship from having the explosives installed.

The firm also reiterated during the panel, that due to the game’s varying story content, there will “not a single duplicated mission in the gameplay experience.” An example provided, explained how a Jedi Knight and Bounty Hunter would never have the same quest twice.

SWTOR is out on December 20, and last Friday, it was announced alongside the new trailer that the European version of the game hit day and date with the US.

Still no word on when those with early access will be able to dive in.

Thanks, ArsTechnica.

1. GrimRita

‘take away from the world’ – what the hell does that mean? ‘We are just too lazy to bring in a group finder’?

2. Se_7_eN

I literally am going insane waiting for this game… I got into a weekend beta, and was completely blown away by it!

Im not a fan of Star Wars, my friend is, and he has been waiting for this game forever, but even as a non Star Wars fan, I can say that the storyline in this game / quests, are an absolute blast. VO and cut scenes are incredible!

3. Talkar

I actually think they are talking about how it removes alot of the social aspect of a game. Just look at WoW. I for one am happy when they announced this a couple of weeks ago, because of said reason.

4. GrimRita

I think its a HUGE mistake. Not everyone has hours to find a group to complete a quest/raid/warfront/warzone.

It works well in Rift – players can decide if they want to join the group or not to complete a quest. Maybe this is just a stalling tactic.

@2 I wouldnt go as far as saying they are ‘incredible’. The cut scenes/VO certainly makes you pause and take stock of what you want to do first before moving on to the next part.

Either way, once the novelty wears off, which it will, people will simply skip the cut scenes to get to the end.

5. Phoenixblight

Well they made a decision and stuck with it, that is completely their call and honestly you are the first person I have seen whining about it but then again what don’t you whine about that’s not EA related.

I am all for this decision.

Agree with you I was able to do a weekend beta and it was exactly what I wanted from a Bioware MMO.

6. GrimRita

yeah sorry for not being an EA butt kisser

7. viralshag

It’s a good call imo. I do like having a LFG, but for any new MMO I think it’s best to leave it out. Like #2 said, it pushes people to be more social which again, imo, is the real backbone to any long lasting MMO. It makes you interact with people on your server and join guilds of like minded people.

If you have hours spare to actually run the content, there’s most likely enough time to find a group too. There really shouldn’t be any need for a LFG system from the outset for a popular MMO.

8. Talkar

If you don’t want to be social, that is absolutely fine, i won’t stop you. But there is no reason to force millions of players to not be social because a select few prefers not too. Sure there are instances where i don’t want to be social in the game, and just want to quest, that is when i hit the nice little arrow that turns off the chat box. You can play the game the way you like. And do you honestly think that with several millions of players that you will have a hard time finding a group?
    I honestly don’t get you, you whine when they resemble WoW and you complain when they don’t. What do you want from this game? o.O

9. viralshag

^ Haha. He’s just anti-anything good.

10. Se_7_eN

#8 – He just wants to bitch and bitch and get attention, and everyone on this site gives it to him.

Please just start ignoring GrimRita, and the troll will eventually crawl back into hiding.

11. DarkElfa

I WANT THE GAME!!!!

NAOW!!!!

Gimmee Gimmee Gimmee Gimmee Gimmee….

12. Hybridpsycho

I believe this is a good decision while the game is still in it’s early stages, after some time have passed though and the majority of the players have explored/discovered most of the areas I believe it is time to move on and add a “Dungeon-finder” per se.

I hope they take the future into consideration, but I do firmly believe they mad the right choice for launch.

13. blackdreamhunk