Survey finds gamers unimpressed by 3DS

Monday, 26th September 2011 02:19 GMT By Brenna Hillier

A survey conducted earlier this year has found 3DS owners significantly underwhelmed by the system’s main selling point.

Results of surveys carried out by market research firm Interpret were unveiled by senior vice president Dan Casey at the 3D Gaming Summit in Los Angeles on Friday, as reported by Gamespot.

Questioning 1,600 adult gamers in March this year, Interpret found just seven percent nominated a handheld console as their preferred 3D experience – despite the attraction of glasses-free 3D. In fact, although 60 percent of those surveyed had heard of the device, 28 percent of them weren’t aware the system doesn’t require glasses.

22 percent of 3DS users said 3D improved gaming, but 28 percent said it has the opposite effect, and 13 percent said they turn it off.

The survey also found an increase in users reporting side effects such as dizziness or nausea when playing 3D games, and noted that 23 percent of respondents thought 3D might provide an edge in competitive multiplayer.

Thanks, CVG.

1. daytripper

having tried 3DS myself i have to admit the urge to buy one rapidly declined.

2. DaMan

Misleading title is misleading.

After the pricecut in August sales of 3ds increased 260 percent (edit – it’s mentioned in the Gamespot link too).

3. Virginityrocks

Yeah. I bought one, and I am unimpressed.

4. OlderGamer

I had just the oppesite reaction. I can’t afford one right now, but its on my wishlist. And I am not a big handheld gamer.

Agreed.

5. deathgaze

I was unimpressed by the battery life before I was unimpressed by the 3D. One of the greatest things about the DS Lite was it’s superlative 8 hours of play time. Less than 4 hours, Nintendo? Really? Maybe they knew everyone wouldn’t want to play the thing for more than 3 1/2 hours since the 3D effect makes your eyes want to bleed after about 1/2 an hour.

6. Clupula

I don’t think I could be more underwhelmed by the system. It’s at the point now where if I see someone saying they want one, it automatically raises the Nintendo fanboy flag.

7. viralshag

I bought one when GAME offered me a full money back if I returned it in 30 days. I was done with it after about a week. It was extremely underwhelming.

That might partly be due to me not being big on handhelds anyway.

8. 2plus2equals5

@2:
    What does “After the pricecut in August sales of 3ds increased 260 percent” have to do with “Survey finds gamers unimpressed by 3DS”?
    As you can see some vg247′s reader bought a 3ds and find it unimpressive.
    A sales’ increment doesn’t make a console more impressive ;)

9. Deacon

As I’ve said all along.. the 3DS is just a shite idea.

10. DaMan

#8 Just sayin’. If ‘Aren’t impressed by 3d’ can be turned into ‘Aren’t impressed by 3ds’ then why not.

Readers of vg47 or not, most people try before they buy, it would take more than some guys to convince me that those 260 percent returned their purchases. Few exceptions aside, most buy a device because they are impressed by it.

11. lexph3re

hmm 260% of people that bought the 3ds in america which equated to 235,000 sold means prior to 61,100 were sold prior to in us before price drop. out of that 235,000, 51,700 found the 3d to improve experience. 65,800 found they didn’t turn it on because it didn’t improve. 30550 didnt turn it on. so if you are only considering the us majority rules its unimpressive/not worthy 3D. This article only considers america so it doesn’t speak for the world. That is if were talking about the 260% only

12. lexph3re

You can also turn around and add the 61,100 into the 235,00 to know the overall number then do the percentages. But, either way the survey sucks because it doesn’t get every 3ds owner to participate. just people who are practically aware of the 3ds.

13. DaMan

Now, if you read the article, then you would notice that it says

Edit: vg247 incorrectly quoted the source.
    Interpret conducted its survey in mid-May this year

While the pricecut occured in August.

14. lexph3re

its also a given since they stated that they only surveyed 1600 adults. so my numbers were only flattering to the work that should of been done. Then again who doesnt know that surveys are linear and can only be bolsted towards additional research

15. fearmonkey

I finally got to try one a month ago at a friends house, as he had purchased it for his daughter. I was very surprised how much of a Headache I developed in such a short period of time watching that screen. I have been to many 3D movies in my life and have watched 3D TV with the glasses with no problems, yet in 5 mins to 10 mins, I felt a headache coming on.
    I turned the 3d effect down and that helped, but didn’t alleviate it till I turned it completely off, playing the game 2D.
    I can’t imagine anyone paying $250 for system when it graphically isn’t that much better than a typical phone these days. The vita seems much more interesting if I were in the market for a handheld. Though Sony’s new TOS has made me not want to support them at the moment.

16. 2plus2equals5

I tried a 3ds with pilotwings… I needed seconds to literally “adjust” my eyes(lol), i like the 3d effect :), but i’m too hyped for psvita :D