Battlefield 3 expansions to have week long exclusivity period on PS3

Thursday, 22nd September 2011 14:26 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Tommy Rydling, junior product manager at DICE, has said expansion packs for Battlefield 3 will have a week-long exclusivity period for PS3 when released to the masses.

It starts with Back to Karkland, the pack which is part of the pre-order bonus to gamers who drop down cash early for the game. Those who did not pre-order the game, will have to purchase it when it is released later this year.

Rydling also wanted to remind those who have redeemed a Medal of Honor: Limited Edition or Tier 1 Edition Online Pass will receive early access via email invitation from DICE which allows for 48-hour early access, to the open beta on September 27.

The open beta runs from September 29 through October 10, where players will be able to try out Battlelog, help load test the servers, and run around shooting people on the Operation Métro a map.

Battlefield 3 hits the US on October 25 and Europe on October 28.

1. GrimRita

kick in the balls to xbox gamers? Still a judging by some of the posts here, many will be getting the ps3 version. Strange move I think, considering majority of the sales will probably happen on the 360

2. CyberMarco

So if I pre-order Battlefield 3 for PC, I will be able to play ”Back to Karkland” DLC a week later…?

3. Stephany Nunneley

@2 I have sent a mail asking for clarification on that to be honest. I know folks are not getting it right away because it won’t technically be out yet, but I want to make sure what you just asked is indeed the case or not.

4. themadjock

Xbox has CoD – PS3 has BF3. I knew I picked the right console…. Seriously though exclusives are PR BS. Let’s just all play together….. no not in that way!

5. Tech-N9ne

LOL, 1 week, for a game with a life span of a couple years. If ur gonna get exclusivity u might as well get a decent period. This in not gonna make me play multiplayer on my PS3. Still getting the 360 version and maybe PC. Try again.

6. mortiferus

A week long exclusive? LOL!!! Thats the best Sony could negotiate? oh my…

7. themadjock

@5 @6 grow up

8. Ireland Michael

It’s a week. Big deal.

9. HeavyD-Love

yeah 1 week isn’t much. usually microsoft does the 30 day timed exclusive thing.

10. lexph3re

Or maybe Sony and Dice don’t want to alienate the community in the way CoD and Xbox has done. 1 week is a big deal to the diehard players, just as much as 1 month is keen to the hardcore players. I think this 1 week exclusive is great towards marketing and still leaves room for people not to be biting their nails watching Youtube videos of released of content they have to wait a month for.

11. Ireland Michael

That’s hilarious. If Sony does it, they’re understanding, but if Microsoft does it, they’re evil.

Please, spare me. It’s computer data. They could put it up whenever the hell they wanted to.

If waiting an entire week for some digital content is actually that big a dead to someone, they need to get off the computer more.

12. Lounds

PS3 does have good MP games, Resistance 3 is well fun, Uncharted 3 beta was epic, KZ3 is good as well, I haven’t played BF games on PS3 as I honestly think BF is designed for PC, 1942 is still one of my favourite MP games.

13. Ge0force

This is ridiculous. Sony shouldn’t throw away money for this Microsoft-ish timed exclusive DLC strategy.

Yes I know Microsoft started with this bullshit and I’m happy Sony wants to connect the ps3 with the Battlefield franchise, but there are other ways to do so. Spending money to keep DLC from other gamers is just lame.

14. DSB

Monkey see, monkey do.

15. lexph3re

Umm it’s funny when you hear a corporate name you begin to parade around like a soar assed victim. It’s clear this is based off of a mutual contract between to companies. and what DICE as well as SONY are willing to do. Mainly DICE, because they do the negotiations and take the money.

So, in comparison(since we have four seperate companies doing this that are in direct competition) this is easily discern-able without throwing fanboy suggestive thoughts out there. The fact is the contract’s that both MS and Sony have requested from Treyarch/activision and Dice are easily compared. And, it is more reasonable to wait 1 week for content you spend 60 bucks on then to wait a month to continue your expansions.

16. YoungZer0

Developers only benefit from this. They get more money and have a good reason to delay a dlc/whatever for a different platform.

17. Phoenixblight

“Publishers only benefit from this. They get more money and have a good reason to delay a dlc/whatever for a different platform.”

Fix’d

Developers only get paid for the work they have done. They don’t get royalties or residuals, the publisher just gives them a bigger bonus upfront.

18. Yoshi

@1 Ohhhhh you sir do fail as you completely disregarded the other format of which it’ll be released.

19. Erthazus

One week? Weeulll, lookee heeree.. wee gawt us sum exclusiff raight heeare!

this is really stupid from MS side and Sony’s side.
    But there is zero point in that for Sony. Microsoft at least takes exclusive DLC for a while.

and Battlefield 3 should be playable on the PC. Period.
    I have a PS3 and i love Battlefield 3, but i’m not stupid to buy PS3 version just for this shit and stupid PSN when PC version will be 20x times better in every aspect there is.

20. Joe Musashi

And yet, if this deal hadn’t got done there’d be just as much criticism (undoubtedly from the same people) saying that it was a chance missed. Doesn’t matter what goes on, people complain either way. :)

JM

21. Ireland Michael

And yet, I still plan to buy this on the Xbox 360, for one simple reason – the people I know who will be playing this will be playing it on that format.

I couldn’t give a damn one way or another about when it comes out. All I care about is whether I can play it with my friends or not.

22. GrimRita

Its probably down to marketing. Maybe Sony threw EA a few quid to promote it over Xmas in return for a limited exclusive deal?

23. saint_slug

im sure i can wait a week….how long did ps3 have to wait for black ops maps??? :-/

24. OrbitMonkey

Unimaginative all this waiting for maps etc. I’d be more interested if ps3 owners got a exclusive Panzer tank & 360 users got a T-34 :D