Microsoft bringing Xbox Live to Windows 8

Wednesday, 14th September 2011 02:15 GMT By Matt Williams

Microsoft have announced new plans to bring Xbox Live to the Windows 8 operating system.

The announcement was made by Xbox Live director of programming Larry “Major Nelson” Hryb through his official blog.

“Bringing Xbox LIVE to Windows 8 is part of our vision to bring you all the entertainment you want, shared with the people you care about, made easy,” Hryb said. “We have much more detail to share about the capabilities of Xbox LIVE on Windows and look forward to the opportunity to do so in the near future.”

Microsoft had previously attempted to bring Live to PC audiences with the Games for Windows Live service launched in 2007. The service featured Achievements, same as its home console counterpart, and touted promises of cross-platform play with Xbox Live users.

At launch the Games for Windows Live service attracted a subscription fee of $49.99 for Gold membership, similar to Xbox Live. The fee was removed in 2008 and customers who had paid for the service were issued refunds.

Thanks, GameSpot.

1. LOLshock94

rule number 1 of windows 8 you do not talk about windows 8

2. DaMan

I take it it’s going to replace Gfwl?

3. Ireland Michael

@2 it’s obviously t’s still going to be called Games for Windows Live. It’ll probably just be a default, in-built component of the operator system though., instead of an outside install like it currently is.

4. viralshag

I don’t know why they don’t just call it Live tbh. It’s practically the same thing, to me anyway.

I love having my Live profile transferred to my PC for some games. Maybe I’m just strange.

5. daytripper

@4 you do like to make owl noises in public toilets, that’s a bit strange but i’ve heard worse about people.

6. viralshag

@5, Nah of course not. I only do that in my own toilet.

7. daytripper

good man

8. freedoms_stain

It’s a good idea imo.

Right now I’m using a Google Chrome extension that shows me who’s on Live and what they’re playing, it’s really useful if I fancy playing a game, I can see if there’s anyone on Live I can jump on with without having to fire up the xbox first. Also does xbl messages which is useful because sometimes xbl is slow at delivering messages and it means I still get to read/reply to messages after I shut the xbox down if someone set me a gg or hatemail :D