From Dust PC DRM removed

Friday, 9th September 2011 03:55 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Ubisoft has released a patch to remove the always-on DRM on the PC version of Eric Chahi’s strategy god sim, From Dust.

The game was expected to release with a one-time only registration system, but mistakenly shipped with constant connection DRM.

Ubisoft-hosted save files will be migrated to your PC when installing the patch.

Thanks, Blue.

1. HauntaVirus

‘bit to late eh?

2. Gurdil

@1 Better late than never, right?
    Well, now Ubi you can remove these always-on DRMs from ALL your games.

3. endgame

already pirated so.. what @1 said. :)

4. Fin

You idiot. If you don’t like DRM, don’t buy the game at all (or wait until it’s patched out). Pirating just feeds the problem – from Ubisoft’s perspective “Oh, this game we put a lot of DRM into was pirated a lot…better add more DRM!”

5. endgame

maybe it does and maybe it doesn’t. I don’t care. but let me tell u this. I have not pirated 1 video game since I got my first job with the exception of this and maybe Diablo 3 if they keep that internet connection always on thing. if the developer thinks he can f**k with the customer then he’s wrong. they will never have my money if they try stuff like this.

6. Fin

Seriously, you’re an idiot.

If you pirate a game because of the DRM, that just shows the publishers the problem is worse than normal, which means they’ll bring in even more draconian measures, causing you to pirate again, and there you go, death of the games industry.

If you feel strongly enough about DRM, don’t buy anything with DRM in it. Pirating games that have DRM is just making things worse.
    Either you take a principled stand and refuse to give companies that use DRM any money, or you’re a pirate who’s killing the industry. Simple as.

As an aside, if you have an always-on internet and yet pirate the games anyway, you should really look at your morals.

7. endgame

well it’s clear that my morals and your morals r different so we should not talk about this anymore. it leads to nowhere.

8. Fin

True, I don’t think stealing is ever ok, you think it sometimes is.