Valve releases six CS:GO screenshots from PAX – look

Saturday, 27th August 2011 13:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Valve has released some nice screenshots of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive to go along with yesterday’s video. A beta for the game starts in October, and those attending PAX and the upcoming Eurogamer Expo will be handed codes. Upon release in early 2012, the game will be made available for Mac, PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

1. DarkElfa

Well, I expected better but after thinking about it, perhaps that’s why they didn’t do higher res textures here. CS has always been driven and made popular by community modding and Valve knows that this will drive a new and improved modding community.

Still, I wanted to see what Valve could do for once and this just seems lazy.

2. Virginityrocks

I dont think they want a high graphics game. CS players have proven to not care 2 shits about graphics with the release of CS: Source. And I imagine this game will be F2P with microtransactions like TF2, so keeping it running well on all PCs is a good business model.

3. Yoshi

Such an unfortunate disappointment, what an opportunity they’ve missed :(

4. ultramega

With such a huge competitive audience, and consumers with large disparities in hardware capabilities, why would they want to limit the access of this game to only the very high end, and effectively eliminate much of their potential market? It makes sense for the game to look solid, but not be demanding in hardware requirements, like all Valve games.

5. DarkElfa

@4, well, sometimes it can help a game and it’s community when they push boundaries. It’s about adding a sense of realism which in turn pulls the player in.

6. jldoom

This is where the saying “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” Applies. This has been working for Counter Strike forever, and I’m actually glad it isn’t turning into a graphics whore of a game. Leave that for the Battlefields/Call of Duty.

This game is purely driven by it’s action IMO. And yes, the modding community basically made source fun for me again. I found skins and sound packages that were 1000x better than the ones that valve provided. I just wonder how it’s all going to shape up on the consoles. Especially now since I haven’t gamed on PC in forever, I’ll definitely have to rely on the console versions to do justice for Counter Strike.

7. DSB

I can see where DarkElfa is coming from.

Obviously Valve are trying to change as little as possible, just like Blizzard did with Starcraft. It’s just a question of putting the sport before the greater audience.

I’d like to see an iteration of Counter-Strike that really tried to open the game up and elaborate on it. Just like I would’ve liked an iteration of Starcraft that really moved ahead, but they’re just not meant for guys who think like that.

I reckon the limited arsenal is levelled at doing something that they can perfectly balance within reasonable time. Of course as well as making a real attempt at bringing it to consoles.

@7 I don’t think many people would accuse CoD of being a graphics title. It seems to me they did the same as Counter-Strike. They came up with a simple formula and dedicated themselves to making it better, rather than trying to change everything up as they went.

It also has precise, high damage weapons, simple rules, and a reasonably fast pace.

Even if that era might be coming to an end with the next iterations.