Porsche blocked from Forza Motorsport 4 by EA deal

Thursday, 25th August 2011 09:07 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Turn 10 director Dan Greenawalt has said that Porsche will not make an appearance in Forza Motorsport 4.

The German car giant had appeared in past Forza games thanks to a sub-licensing deal with EA, who had the exclusive licence for the company. Now, EA has blocked it from appearing in FM4 in any form.

“While Forza Motorsport 4 will feature RUF, it will not include Porsche cars. As many of you know, since the beginning of the Forza franchise, the Porsche license has been available only through a sub-licensing deal with EA,” Greenawalt said in a post on the Forza website.

“In Forza 3, we were able to feature more than 35 different Porsche models by offering to collaborate with EA. For Forza 4, we were looking forward to adding even more Porsche cars, and we were especially looking forward to featuring multiple Porsche experiences in our new Autovista mode. In the end, however, EA couldn’t see their way towards collaborating again.”

He continued: “We’ve asked our contacts at EA to reconsider their position frequently and regularly over the last 18 months. We also reached out to various influential people in gaming to lobby on our behalf, and on your behalf, but that was to no avail.”

Greenawalt remained hopeful that Porsche would be in Forza again, citing its exclusive Ferrari licence as one example of how the system could potentially work in the right way.

“While we respect EA’s need to run their business as they see fit, we’ve regularly collaborated in the past and hope we can find our way back to that approach. Forza had the exclusive license for all Ferrari cars, for example, on the Xbox and PC platforms,” he said.

“But at the end of the day, we’ve always found that we just weren’t willing to block other racing games from having Ferraris outright, as we believed that this would do nothing but hurt the racing ecosystem.

“I’m very sorry for all of this. Fans shouldn’t have to think about any of this – you should just be able to drive Porsches and Ferraris in the games you love. Porsche makes wonderful cars and I’m sorry that we won’t have them in Forza 4.”

Forza 4 launches in October for Xbox 360.

1. NightCrawler1970

Why not EA give Porsche 5 million Dollar to buy the right to have porsches in the game??? EA spend billions to buy pop-cap… and they dont have the money to buy rights??? i guess Forza sales going down hills…

2. minxamo

What a bunch of pricks.

3. viralshag

Yeah that’s a real dick move.

I can understand EA’s protection of the brands they own in their sporting titles such as FIFA as there is really only one other competitor. But something like this, where Forza is unlike any of the EA titles, it’s just sad.

4. Iliad

It’s probably because EA are trying to pitch Shift as a direct competitor to Forza (and Gran Turismo) and so are attempting to weaken Forza as a result any way they can.

The hilarious thing is, Shift is a terrible racing simulation (the handling physics are dire) – aside from the helmet cam, which was cool – but with Forza 4 having Kinect head-tracking, it doesn’t have any USP over Forza now.

5. darksied

Maybe they’re going to appear in Need For Speed …?

6. elisio

This sucks.
    On the other hand this has maybe something to do with Microsoft holding the rights to Ferrari in games, thus preventing their inclusion in EA’s Need For Speed franchise in recent years? Could this be a two ways battle?

7. viralshag

@4, I was thinking of Shift but then I dismissed the thought entirely. Shift isn’t even near the same league as Forza. :P

@5, They already do appear in NFS. I think NFS is what originally got EA the exclusivity to the Porsche brand with NFS: Porsche Unleashed. I might be wrong though.

While I was looking around, Porsche wasn’t in TDU2 or GT5 either, so really this isn’t even anything new. Probably more of a big deal with EA being public enemy number 1 atm.

8. DrDamn

Porsche themselves not at fault at all then?

The publishers and devs are trying to get these sort of exclusive deals all the time. The rights holders should be the ones standing their ground and insisting they get the maximum coverage for their property.

9. Craymen Edge

I dislike exclusive licensing deals like this. I assume the Turn 10 ferarri deal is the reason why Outrun Online Arcade got taken of the PSN.

I believe they’ll still be able to include the RUF upgraded Porsche models; but looking back at Forza 3 I barely ever used the Porsches unless the race restrictions forced me to.

10. DrDamn

Why would a Ferrari exclusive deal on Xbox and PC stop them coming to PSN? It’s what titles like Ferrari challenge only came out on PS3 and not 360.

It was Sega’s own licensing deal with Ferrari which expired.

11. Old MacDonald

Surely it was no coincidence that the Ferrari pack for Shift 1 was 360-exclusive and that there were no Ferraris in Shift 2.

In all likelyhood, EA wanted Ferraris in all versions of Shift 2, Microsoft didn’t want that, so EA said “ok, no Ferraris in Shift 2 and no Porsches in Forza 4″. Fair enough.

12. MagicBoy

It is a coincidence. T10 have the Ferrari license for Xbox and PC – hence the 360 only DLC. The PlayStation license is held by someone else, probably Polyphony Digital.

13. Razor

GT does alright without Porsche, no reason Forza won’t.

14. TickleMyElmo

I can understand EA’s protection of the brand. Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed was the only really good game in the series.

15. DSB

This is hardly EAs fault. They’re just doling out for exclusive licences left and right.

The problem is that it bars everybody else from making proper games. I’m pretty sure something like PES would sell a few more copies if they had a shot at the proper licences.

Ultimately that’s the way of the trademark. There probably is a better system out there waiting to be discovered, but the rich might not get richer for it, and as such we have no interest in discovering it.

16. Opticalfuel

If I had known F4 wasn’t going to have Porsche in it, I wouldn’t have spend my money on it.

I almost prefer to play F3, as a result. I own a Porsche 911, and enjoy driving some of the other models, albeit virtually.

This is a just another example of greed which gets in the way of some people’s fun. The rich greedy ones don’t give a crap about this dumb game or anyone who plays it. They only care about what the proceeds can buy them in terms of hedonistic pleasure. (I am guessing) The world has a few flaws if you hadn’t noticed.

17. Opticalfuel

BTW…

I am plenty pissed off about this, but if EA was smart they would offer an Add-On pack that would let people decide if they like Porsche that much.

I would buy an add on pack for $40 bucks – - NO DOUBT!!

I had a ton of nice Porsches in my F3 game, that failed to make it into F4. I worked hard to get those cars.

EA is probably not very smart based on the decisions they are making. I have read alot of reviews that makes the new NFS game look to be CRAP! Not going to buy it- new or used.

EA must stand for Extremely Asinine (and not very business savvy) Savvy?

18. simes69

@OpticalFuel – ditto. As a former owner of a 911 I was looking forward to building a Porsche affinity in FM4.