Skyrim footage out of Comic-Con is lovely

Saturday, 23rd July 2011 23:06 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Some footage of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has been released out of Comic-Con, and it seriously makes us wish November would get here already, no matter how damn cold it is that time of the year. The video, posted below the break courtesy of GameFront, shows all in-game footage. It’s very nice. The game is out on November 11 for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 – in case you’ve been living under a rock or something.

1. Erthazus

I’m not so sure. Something looks like an improvvement and something … Not…

Modified engine animation is still clunky. Console interface which is probably Ok for consoles, but how about a PC interface?
    UI also looks like from a mobile phone seriously… thats not how you make a UI for a fantasy roleplaying game.
    Havok Physics as always good… Visuals are ok… Gameplay improvements? I don’t see any at all. Except that spells effects they improved.

Oh dear, i hope it’s not an Oblivion fiasco. I want my favourite TES going to back to the Morrowind roots.

2. YoungZer0

Thank god they changed the interface. It was a horrible mishmash that just took more time than it should. More so on the PC version than on the Console version.

The design is also much better, the usual fantasy design is getting tiresome and sometimes even embarrassing (See Demon’s Souls). Glad they did a better job on it this time around. It looks like a modern, grown up fantasy.

The animations are still not as good as they should be. Clunky, sometimes broken. Don’t think they’ll manage to fix it in time.

Also like the gameplay improvements, like using spells and swords at the same time, or two swords at once.

3. stretch215

I just recently started playing oblivion, and it’s awesome. I’ve never been an RPG fan,especially fantasy rpg’s (You know, elves and shit) but oblivion has changed that. Looking at skyrim all I can say is “wow”. If this game is as deep as oblivion we will all be in for a treat come November.

4. DSB

Really stretch? How the heck do you figure?

I picked it up after the fact, and I figured I just thought it was so crap because it was old. I simply couldn’t go on for very long. The combat felt a lot less inspired than Mount & Blade and what I saw of the story was just stupid, with the silly little king and the boring hellword full of nothing. At no point did I realize why I should give a fuck.

Except for maybe avenging the huge insult it is to kill Captain Picard while he’s still in his pyjamas.

5. UuBuU

@1 – Say what you want about the UI, but the inventory looks a LOT better than both Oblivion and Morrowind’s – especially Morrowind’s, which was shockingly awful (i’m a PC gamer by the way, before you point the ‘consolenoob’ finger).

In Skyrim, you can actually get a good look at items without having to equip / unequip them.

And i’m not sure what you mean by “morrowind roots” … play Arena and Daggerfall if you want TES roots. People always say ‘Oblivion was just a dumbed down Morrowind’, but really, Morrowind was just a dumbed down Daggerfall in many ways.

6. Doz12

i agree with you stretch oblivion brought the fantasy rpg genre to the masses and skyrim appears to have gone one better! i really cant see at the moment why anyone would speak against skyrim!!!

7. Moonwalker1982

Most of it was shown during E3 , only the spider part is new. is it really from comic con? Nonetheless awesome, and it may be too early to already say but i expect this to be my GOTY. After Oblivion and Fallout 3 i know what to expect and that is nothing but greatness, absolutely love those games to death.

8. stretch215

@ DSB. It’s definitely not a flawless game, but I’m drawn to it nonetheless.

9. UuBuU

@6 – There’s a saying: “When you try and please everyone, you run the risk of pleasing noone.”

Basically, an RPG should be aimed at RPG fans. Once you start broadening your audience outside of the RPG genre, that’s when the quality of the game starts to take a dip.

It’s the same in music when a band starts to change their style to appeal to a more mainstream audience outside of their original genre. Sure, they may get rich quicker… but people will always look at their early work as being better, and say they sold out later on.

….

Morrowind and Oblivion were really accessible RPGs as it is. Why they feel the need to make Skyrim even more accessible is beyond me.

10. YoungZer0

@9: More sells?

11. Jerykk

I think the new UI looks terribly inefficient. I don’t care about the ability to view and rotate items. I do care about having to scroll for five minutes to find and equip the item I just picked up. In an RPG, creating a quick and efficient UI is essential. You should show as much information as possible on any given screen and minimize the amount of scrolling required to access this information. The Skyrim UI has huge text and icons, requiring more scrolling. Hell, you now have to scroll just to see your stats.

12. YoungZer0

@11: Really, were have you seen that?

13. DSB

@8 Fair enough, I just don’t get it. Everybody has it on their “best ever” list, but I just felt like it was a huge world full of nothin’.

I figured it was because it was old, but your experience would seem to totally contradict that. I’m at a loss :P

14. UuBuU

@13 One word – mods. The mods alone make it one of the best open-world games of all time.

In fact, I can’t think of any game that really comes close to Oblivion in terms of the quality of mods.

15. CreeperTheScamp

I would like to start by agreeing with UubuU, #9, when the game is dumbed down to please 8 year old gamers and new people to TES, it loses all of the rpg flavor. PLEASE Bethesda, don’t streamline TES into a level by level action game (as sad as it makes me feel, this may just happen within the next game gen). Please, next time, lose the finishing moves! This is not Mortal Kombat for Talos’ sake…

16. Jerykk

You can’t see all your stats on a single screen. You have to scroll left and right. Pretty ridiculous.

17. CreeperTheScamp

As much as I do like the fantasy parchment style interface, the 3D items in the inventory is cool… maybe for a change for better, you could turn the items around in your fingers to observe them instead of the items just floating… but to be honest, as bad as morrowinds interface was, this interface has nothing on it still.. too smartphone-ish.. Never really heard of the 4th E Ipad sooo what’s the deal? High tech does not and most definitely should not be in an else scrolls game. I will be playing Skyrim but developers beware…. don’t take the “simplifications” too far.. you are losing your legacy in these games…

18. Demiath

@ZoungZer0 I’m likewise somewhat tired of generic fantasy aesthetics (at least in serious/non-humorous games) but Demon’s Souls’ meticulously realized, surprisingly subtle and sometimes achingly beautiful art design is far from “embarrassing”. You’ll have to take a second look at DS because you’ve clearly missed everything that From Software did with that game in terms of the graphics…

19. jacobvandy

There will be mods to fix stuff like huge fonts and even menu organization, so while it’s sad to see them make dumb decisions in UI design, that’s more of an inconvenience than a real problem. The cool thing is that they added something modders would never be able to, which is the ability to examine items in your inventory.

But if you can’t enjoy Oblivion at all without mods, you should steer clear of Skyrim, as well, and probably try another genre…

20. Kuwabara

GRAPHICS NEED AN UPDATE!

21. Wyk

@Kuwabara

Not really. The PC version of the game has amazing graphics. On the consoles, it is a different story as the developers have a limitation on the hardware usage.

All of these previews are off the Xbox 360 version of the game. PC version has not been demoed even once yet.

The dynamic lighting effects on the environment are greatly improved from Oblivion. For a game of this great size, the depth of visuals are actually very impressive.

22. Moonwalker1982

People should not forget that this is NOT the finished UI. This has been said by Bethesda’s to Angry Joe on Youtube. In this UI you can’t even see if a armor/sword is stronger than the other, it will all change and look different.

Pete Hines says at 7 minutes that it will all change, it’s not the final build.

23. Doz12

@9 fair point but i dont think that skyrim is going to do a Dragonage. Elder scrolls to me is about doing what you want to do with no limitations.

skyrim looks to have kept this ethos and built upon it with random events and the fact that quests given to you are not fixed to a certain dungeon and will be moved to a dungeon yet unexplored. Personelly i think it looks the best game that bethseda have made and far outbeats any almost all other rpgs on the market at the moment.

24. Moonwalker1982

I’m not too afraid that they are gonna casualize it too much, from what i understand it’s gonna be more like Fallout 3 in the sense of perks and such, which is absolutely fine with me. As long as the game is still huge, has you backtracking from the story quest because of all kinds of sidequests you encounter..i’m good. I loved that in Oblivion.

25. DSB

@14 You wouldn’t happen to have a laundry list of those laying around, would you?

26. YoungZer0

@16: If i remember correctly, you had to scroll down or up in order to see all your stats in Oblivion. It’s actually a good thing that you have so many stats. Otherwise that would mean they choose to cut some of it.

@18: Oi, i was talking mainly about the UI and Typography. This has never been the strength of From Software, and never will be.

@25: Check the top100. http://www.tesnexus.com/

27. UuBuU

@26 the top 100 is an good place to start, but it’s better to just browse by catagory and sort by endorsements. There’s tons of stuff that can drastically improve the quality of the game.

Also, check out Nehrim and Andoran – Two TC mods for the game. A lot of people consider Nehrim to be better than Oblivion itself in many ways… and Andoran looks incredible from the trailer.

28. Johnny Cullen

Most of that footage is what I seen back in April in Utah – @7: that was part of the demo from BFG 2011 – and what was probably shown at E3, but there’s some bits I didn’t recognise from both.

I’m going to be seeing it again in Cologne in a couple of weeks. Really can’t wait.

29. Phoenixblight

Its probably the same exact build and they use it because its the most flashy and presentable. Just like the Silent Hill pictures this site has shown off those were from the beta build and not from the current build.

30. Johnny Cullen

I’ve added a new version in there, considering the one before was pulled.

31. BraveArse

@DSB – I’m with you – I didn’t really “get” Oblivion in the same way others did even back at launch. I have to admit though I was blown away by the first few hours.

I find I generally have to be in a really specific and ( for me ) rare frame of mind to enjoy Bethesda games. I love the depth that they can offer, but I hate the feeling that I’m playing a puppet show.

More than graphics per se, I have a fairly low tolerance for poor animation, and Bethesda have always truly sucked at it. Even in that footage the choice of perspective is obviously to hide the character animation.

I used to switch to 3rd person to see my armour, then get annoyed by my puppet motion, and switch back to FPS quickly, that goes for Fallout 3 too. I know that’s probably fairly shallow, but to me, animation is crucial to suspending my disbelief.

32. m2stech

Everything except the pony riding was great, we can’t expect next gen improvements for the PC version as long as PS3/360 are here.

33. TVs Everywhere

@5:

Indeed. I chuckled at “Morrowind roots”. What “roots” are there to be found in Morrowind? The REAL roots of the series lie in Arena, or MAYBE Daggerfall. And considering how Morrowind was “dumbed down” significantly from Daggerfall, I find it amusing that people act as if the series started with Morrowind.

No, the real reason why they keep worshipping that game is because it’s the first ES game they actually played. Kind of funny when you think about people playing the THIRD of a series and acting the series’ “roots” are in that game. Rose tinted glasses, much?

If those people want to lament the series being “dumbed down”, they should start with whining about their “precious” Morrowind, because that’s exactly where the series started to consistently be “dumbed down”.