Quick Quotes: “We haven’t been giving [Unreal series] the attention it deserves,” says Capps

Saturday, 23rd July 2011 20:08 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

“We have a couple other major franchises that we’ve not been paying attention to. It’s been a long time since we shipped an Unreal game, and it’s an awfully loved franchise that we hold pretty dear here. We haven’t been giving it the attention it deserves because we’ve been focusing on Gears of War and we’re still a relatively small company. We’ve been sort of focused on making new properties, which you’ve seen with Shadow Complex, BulletStorm and Infinity Blade, but sometimes I think just as a businessman that maybe we should be spending some more time with our existing franchises.” Epic President Mike Capps to IndustryGamers.

1. unacomn

Really? I didn’t even notice, since the last game had about half the content of UT2004 abd required a year of patching to get it up and running.

2. Erthazus

OH MY GOD.

Epic Games!

Make
    it
    happen!

N A U !

Please! Please! Please! Please! Oh please… Cliff, Mark… Make it. Make it please. Come on…

I’m tired of running and gunning games such as Call Of duty… Unreal can save my life… =\

3. DSB

UT2004 was so much fun, I don’t think I ever played Unreal II, but I remember Unreal being absolutely awesome back in the day. Pretty underrated amongst all the Quake and Half-Life of it all.

4. Erthazus

UT is not underrated, except for the last UT3 which was… not an improvement, but more of a tech demo. + console port which was a very good one, and in the end Unreal games were too fast for gamepads, so Epic switched to Gears which is a perfect fit for the Xbox 360 controller.

but UT 1 and UT2004 are just brilliant. Especially 2004. Epic still support it with new features and patches. thats amazing.

5. DSB

I was talking about Unreal, but sure.

6. Noodlemanny

I wouldn’t exactly say that Epic is a ‘relatively small company’. Maybe financially but according to the amount of effect they’ve had not only though their unreal engine which is used by every man and his dog but though their games as well. Gears of War which Cliff correctly stated had a large affect on current gen games (for better or for worse) and Unreal tournament which basically created a basis for most online multi-player shooters to base themselves upon (for better or for worse). I’d say that Epic is one developer who has had one of the biggest effects on the gaming industry so far.

7. freedoms_stain

@6 I think he was taking in terms of man power. They don’t have 2 dozen development teams scattered all over the globe like some of the other big companies do.

8. stretch215

If it were to come out it would definitely be multiplatform .

9. Stoopid_Snot

@3 as far as I remeber U2 wass made by other developers then Epic, still good game, nothing special, but remember when it came out, the fire was amazing in that game