Report – Future UK to lay off 100 staff

Friday, 15th July 2011 14:19 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Up to at least 100 staff will be laid off at Future UK, according to an MCV report.

The news comes from an internal memo from Future UK CEO, Mark Wood.

The number amounts to ten percent of the 1,000-strong workforce inside the publication’s UK arm out of the 1,200 in its worldwide offices.

Future is inviting staff to partake in voluntary redundancy which after, jobs will be removed after a consultancy period.

It comes just hours after an interim management statement from the company, in which the US arm was making the switch to a digital model, and that UK circulation revenue on print magazines were down by three percent.

More at the link. All the sincere best to those potentially affected.

1. Blerk

Ah, for shame. Good luck everyone, I’ve been feeling a bit of this myself just recently and it’s super-unpleasant. :-(

2. Patrick Garratt

Yep. Not good. This sort of thing isn’t any fun.

3. barchetta

I worry this is only the start of a rationalisation of all print media. Subscription only web based content is going to be a hard sell too for a consumer base that generally equates web = free.

Still keeping my Edge subs on (despite struggling with the new look…) but some of the offers imply they are getting desperate to maintain a viable customer base.

4. Blerk

I’ve been wondering whether to cancel my Edge sub for a few months now, it just seems increasingly irrelevant of late. They even publish many of their reviews on their own web site before the mag hits the streets!

They have launched digital subs for Edge of late, which seems interesting, but they’re entirely separate from the paper subs. As a paper subscriber it’d be nice to be able to dial up the mag on my work PC at lunchtime and read a few pages but I can’t do that without taking out a second sub. Similarly I wouldn’t switch the a digital-only sub because I don’t have a tablet and reading off-screen for long periods of time isn’t pleasant.

Seems like a missed opportunity, tbh – they could’ve combined the two and maybe kept a few extra readers.

5. Goffee

These would be the same management dossers who said of the Highbury takeover, ‘no way the competition commission will get involved.’ They should sack their overpaid arses and leave the teams alone.

6. Grimrita

typical from a company that is so out of touch with its consumers needs and those who do all the work, pay the price.

If Future is to survive, they need to refocus on digital and actually train some of their current staff to fill any new roles. Lazy bastard company

7. xino

farking hell man!

i’m starting to believe the world might just end 2012 O_o

these people will be out of work, what job will they do while others are trying to look for work?

vote for cleaner!