Sony to invest $20 million in exclusive PSN game portfolio

Wednesday, 13th July 2011 15:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony has announced it is to invest $20 million in its Pub Fund to develop PSN exclusive games.

Originally announced at GDC 09, the Pub Fund program provides “additional development budget for developers who create innovative, exclusive titles for PlayStation Network,” said Sony in the press release.

SCEA helps with game design and marketing plans but allows the developer to own the game’s intellectual property, publish the title and set the price.

The first game developed and released under this model was Burn, Zombie, Burn. Due to the “great success” the service has achieved with titles like the former along with Joe Danger, Critter Crunch, Flower and the PixelJunk series, Sony plans to add “new and different game experiences to this portfolio of games that can’t be found on any other game console.”

According to Brandon Stander, PSN’s director of marketing, “this investment includes support across both our own network of first-party studios as well as for the Pub Fund, which was first introduced at GDC in 2009,” he said over on the US PS Blog.

“Under this investment, we’re committed to delivering titles that have innovative gameplay mechanics, vibrant visuals, interesting storylines and an artistic element to interactive entertainment that can only be found on PlayStation Network,” said Stander.

Sony said this investment will bring more “unique, fun, innovative, edgy and higher quality game experiences,” to the PSN service, with plenty of titles being offered as part of this three-year plan.

Announced titles include: Eufloria, Okabu, PAYDAY: The Heist, and Papo & Yo.

1. Erthazus

20$ million is a lot.
    20$ million is basically one AAA title.

2. Christopher Jack

Only one I’ve seen is PAYDAY: The Heist & that looks ace. I hope that there’s some level of customization to the masks you can wear.

3. Ge0force

That’s awesome. But Sony needs a summer-of-arcade style promotion campagne, so those innovative games reach the mainstream audience. There are a lot of great games on PSN, but almost no one knows them…

4. Blerk

They should make sure there are demos for absolutely everything too, that helps enormously on XBLA.

You should all get Eufloria, incidentally. Eufloria is the fucking business.

5. Aimless

@4 I’m not sure I agree.

Personally I find trials useful and they can lead to a purchase, but from the developer’s perspective you can see why they might be a bad idea: obviously they require more work to implement, but more importantly you run the risk of sating people’s curiosity for free. Likewise a lot of good games have bad demos, and I imagine some developers, such as Q-Games with their PixelJunk titles, like being given the option to release a demo post-release — a Shooter 2 one has just appeared — in order to give their titles a second wind of interest rather than be buried under the constant march of new releases.

I wouldn’t say I’m opposed to XBLA’s policy of every title having a trial, merely wonder if it adds to the disposability of digital products as opposed to genuinely bolstering sales.

6. Psychotext

I wont buy digital games without trying them… that would be why I have over 100 XBLA / XBLIG titles and only 8 PSN titles.

7. KAP

Quality over Quantity my friend.

8. NightCrawler1970

It gonna be MAG II….

9. Psychotext

@7: What’s that got to do with anything? There’s pretty much nothing in my collection which scored lower than 80% on average (aside from the indie games, which obviously aren’t generally rated). It’s quantity and quality.

There’s plenty of top notch stuff on the PSN too, but the point was that I’m not going to buy something I can’t later sell without at least trying it first. That’s money they choose to leave on the table by not providing demos.

10. typeface

There are games with trial and unlock and I do agree that games do need trials. But a lot of games do come with trials a bit later than during release. I suppose most games are heavily advertised that people who are interested buy them regardless…

@9 I’m not sure your analogy is correct though. I mean you can’t really ‘sell’ your digital titles unless you’re selling your account or you’re using Green Man Gaming.

back to the topic – one of the best titles amongst those mentioned is Papo and Yo which was announced a bit before e3 and was actually well received there. There’s more gems funded that are too early to be announced or unannounced at the moment.

11. Deacon

Agree with Blerk… demos would be massively helpful. Christ, you look over some games and they don’t even have any screenshots for you to view – let alone a trailer or gameplay video. This is honestly my only gripe with PSN.

12. Christopher Jack

Free demos of each PSN game should be included with PS+ as is XBL games for Gold subscribers.

13. Blerk

Free demos of XBLA games are available to everyone, not just Gold subscribers, man.

XBLA gets around the whole ‘extra work to create a demo’ thing by making the demo and the full game the same download, but operating in both full or trial modes. In trial mode it lets you play a certain way into the game and then gives you the opportunity to buy it. You can then purchase it right there and then within the game and it’s only a two-second background download of an unlock-key to carry on.

14. Christopher Jack

@13, I was just assuming that MS wouldn’t give Silver users trials because basically every other service requires a Gold sub, even if they require an additional subscription which is, in my personal opinion, utter bullshit.

I do think that it’d be a great incentive for Plus users on PSN, they’re the kind of people more likely to purchase the software anyway. I simply think that Sony need to find more services to give us a reason to switch to PS+ rather than poking us with random software.

15. Blerk

Well, quite – I won’t argue with that. Microsoft certainly like to make you feel like a second-class citizen if you don’t sub.

But XBLA trials are one of the few areas where both Gold and Silver are on-par. I guess they like selling you stuff.

16. Psychotext

@10: I never said I could sell my digital games… I said I couldn’t. Hence being less likely to take a risk on something I hadn’t tried.