EA has announced it will be closing multiplayer servers for a number of titles.
“The decisions to retire older EA games are never easy. The development teams and operational staff pour their hearts into these games almost as much as the customers playing them and it is hard to see one retired,” a statement on the EA Service Updates site said.
“But as games get replaced with newer titles, the number of players still enjoying the older games dwindles below a point – fewer than 1% of all peak online players across all EA titles – where it’s feasible to continue the behind-the-scenes work involved with keeping these games up and running. We would rather our hard-working engineering and IT staff focus on keeping a positive experience for the other 99% of customers playing our more popular games.
“We hope you have gotten many hours of enjoyment out of the games and we appreciate your ongoing patronage.”
The games will be shut down in two groups, with cut-off dates in across August and October. A small number of demos are included in the list. See the full list below.
- August 11, 2011 Online Service Shutdown
- Army of Two for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- Army of Two Demo for Xbox 360
- Battlefield 2142 Demo for PC
- Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for Xbox 360
- Battlefield 2: Modern Combat Demo for Xbox 360
- Medal of Honor Airborne for PlSP
- Medal of Honor Heroes 2 for PSP and Wii
- NASCAR 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 (North America)
- NCAA Basketball 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- NCAA Football 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- Need for Speed Most Wanted for PC and Xbox 360
- Need for Speed Undercover for PSP
- SKATE for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 for PSP, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
- Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 11 Demo for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- October 1, 2011 Online Service Shutdown
- Madden NFL 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- NHL 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.