Dust 514 to have intital cover charge, says CCP

Monday, 11th July 2011 11:36 GMT By Johnny Cullen

CCP has said it’ll require a cover charge around the region of “$10-$20″ for the beginning of Dust 514.

Whatever charge is introduced, it’ll then be refunded in-game as currency.

“In the beginning you have to pre-buy credits, so you pay something like $10-$20 to enter the game and you get the equivalent number of credits in the game once you do that. We call this the ‘cover charge,” CEO of CCP, Hilmar Veigar Pétursson, told GI.biz.

“You’re really getting the game for free but you have to pre-buy credits in the beginning. We might go fully free-to-play down the line, but in the beginning we have a cover charge just to manage the initial launch of it.

“We have always been a big believer in growing up a social network behind the game in a slow and predictable way. Because we have seen that if you don’t do that you can end up with a very unstructured experience, where there’s no cohesion to the community. By growing it at the beginning we help to make a healthy environment initially.”

Dust becoming a platform exclusive for PS3, according to Pétursson, allowed the company to introduce “more innovation.”

“By going exclusive with either platform allows us to do more innovation. The lowest common denominators would have been so small we couldn’t do things that are really interesting,” he said.

“Sony was quite motivated in allowing us to do things we requested of them to the point they said ‘no one has really asked about that before and we’ve never thought about, but why not?’ They were very enthusiastic and open to really do something world changing and that’s what swayed the decision to go with them.”

Dust 514 fully launches on PS3 via PSN next year,

1. Erthazus

How about a PC version, CCP?

It’s much more enjoyable to play FPS game with mouse and keyboard.

2. Blerk

So it’s free apart from having to pay for it, then?

3. Christopher Jack

@1, Let me correct that for you“*I find that* It’s much more enjoyable to play FPS game with mouse and keyboard”
    Once again, you’re tainting the truth with your own personal opinion, you’d be surprised to know how much a few words can make you look much less of an egotist.

4. rrw

@2 probably you pay $60 just like other game. then CCP use that as starting credit

5. Clupula

Well, count me out then. I don’t pay subscription fees. It’s part of why I got a PS3 in the first place.

6. Mondayding

That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard all morning – it’s free, you just have to pay $20 for it. Snake oil anyone?

7. Gekidami

No where does it say you need to pay a sub.

8. Erthazus

There will be something like a subscription method. Probably a F2P model. robably no one is going to pay sub model, but it’s going to have some serious F2P stuff.

If someone thinks that buying a system that have online capabilities and after that thats it? ahaha. Thats just a start.

Just wait a next generation when there will be a 1+ GB of ram then systems finally will be able to do some heavy multitasking then F2P games are going to be all over the place.

@CJ, ” you’re tainting the truth with your own personal opinion”

thats a fact. Who don’t like FPS using mouse and keyboard just don’t know how to use it and thats ok or he is a blind fanboy. Because no matter how, shooters were born on the PC because of the control scheme.
    Same goes to few genres on consoles in which they are more enjoyable with the gamepad where they have been born with the natural control scheme.

9. abbe

Announcement of Dust 514: Omg sweet, I’ve always wanted to get involved into Eve!

Announcement of PS3 Exclusive: Wat.

Today: Wat.

Until PC version is announced: Wat.

Wat.

Biggest disappointment this year regarding game announcements for me I believe.

10. Christopher Jack

@8, Many gamers don’t like using the keyboard & mouse which is why a lot of people own consoles, it’s not that they don’t know how to, just that they prefer not to. I know I’m not as accurate using a gamepad but given the chance, I’d choose it over the mouse any day. Also the keyboard limits you to 8 directions which just feels unnatural to me.
    If I was a super competitive gamer, I’d use this for my PS3 http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR302LYY09aZTkmZEeOiRwwlyf8hfNULpPzKIZwsq23X4GVv49b6g

11. viralshag

@8,

I hate using a M&Kb for FPS. I don’t think it’s that crazy for someone to spend the majority of their gaming life on consoles and then decide to build their own pretty sweet gaming machine and then want to continue using their preferred control method that they are used to.

I have a PC, PS3 and 360. I like MMOs and Steam, I like Gears of War, inFamous and Uncharted. I also like that I’m not restricted and have a choice to play all the games I want on what platform I want and with whatever control method I like.

It’s ridiculous for you to say what is and isn’t best for other people.

12. Erthazus

@11, “don’t think it’s that crazy for someone to spend the majority of their gaming life on consoles and then decide to build their own pretty sweet gaming machine ”

if you spent your majority of life playing on gamepad it’s obviously that you are comfortable more with gamepad then MS & Keyboard.
    but thats delusional to say that gamepad is more comfortable then …
    You need to try it out a bit more and it will “click” with you, but just because you started owning a machine only now and never really had no time to get in to the control scheme, it’s pretty delusional. Try it a bit more then for just 5 minutes.

@CJ,

“Many gamers don’t like using the keyboard & mouse which is why a lot of people own consoles,”

not much compared to PC players that consist of typical pirates and other players that use a lot of services like STEAM and MMO’s users.
    also, for someone consoles is just a cheap way to entertain themselves. Well good luck to that chunk f casual boys and girls with nicknames like AEROKID94 that plays Uncharted 3 beta.

also, that peripheral that you showed me is a complete ASS. A complete gimmick.

13. Christopher Jack

I don’t see how it’s a gimmick, it’s got the aiming precision of a mouse & the movement precision of the left side of the controller(over the W,A,S,D keys), there’s a reason fuck all games use the D-pad to move anymore.

14. Lounds

@Erth

Is the Eagle eye for PS3 anygood?

I prefer fps with mouse and keyboard, it’s quicker and easier, little thumb sticks are slow and less acurrate.

@13 WASD keys are better for shooters dunno why just are, wouldn’t use a keyboard for a racing game though.

3rd person games i prefer a game pad, dunno why just do.

15. DSB

@ChrisJack – That very much depends on the controlscheme, though. Mostly the 4 diagonals will only be a factor in games that still use keyboards as the primary way to move, which is mostly 2D platformers and such. Most often the mouse will control stuff like direction, allowing for 360 degrees.

I think the whole argument of control schemes is utterly retarded though. People have different preferences, and obviously a gamepad can do stuff that a mouse can’t do. That’s the reason why I often hook up my 360 pad to my PC, especially when playing racing games. You can’t control the pedals with a mouse and keyboard, like giving 50% power or 50% brake by depressing the trigger.

I’m not so insecure that I need to desperately make my platform sound like the best all the time. I grew up playing the PC, that’s what I like, I’m not blind to its strengths or its weaknesses. Likewise I think people should enjoy their platforms whatever they may be, without making them into a pseudo-religion :P

@14 Funny, I’m like 50/50 with third person games. Just Cause 2 is gamepad all the way, GTA IV is mouse and keyboard, and ditto Saints Row 2. It’s mostly because Just Cause 2 is optimized for gamepads on the PC a lot better than the other two.

16. viralshag

@12, 5 minutes? I have had a decent gaming PC for over 7 years. I don’t even know why I’m wasting the time arguing with you when you will always be wrong in the fact I prefer a gamepad over m&kb and other people do too. I have seen off four generations of consoles with a gamepad and it’s my first choice for most games.

“On the Xbox 360 there is at least a peripheral that emulates sensitivity of your mouse. I’m waiting for this for like eternity for my PS3. XIM3 is the beast but it’s only on the XBOX 360.”

What I don’t get is how you can argue against people using a pad for a PC when you openly admit to wanting a m&kb for the PS3?

17. Giskard

You may prefer the gamepad, but trust me, even the best player on a gamepad will be owned senseless by a decent player with mouse and keyboard. The accuracy of the M&Kb is just miles ahead of the gamepads.

18. viralshag

@17,

That’s fantastic. Well when I notice that little titbit of information impacting my gameplay whatsoever, maybe I’ll care!

Well, by maybe I mean never. Gamepad > m&kb forever!

19. Christopher Jack

@17, Sure, I’ve seen people who are able to play games like Halo with max sensitivity & easily get noscope kills with rifles, my only chance of beating these super players are by sneaking up on them. I don’t think that a regular Joe who’s above average with a mouse has a shot in hell against these guys.

20. viralshag

@ 19,

That can’t be true. Didn’t you know that playing without a mouse and keyboard is like the equivalent to playing without hands.

21. Lounds

Shut up all of you – PC gamers are bread in laboratories and have the ability to never sleep.

22. IL DUCE

I don’t even feel like reading the rest of the comments because some people need some serious information refreshing

1) Dust 514 has ALWAYS been a console exclusive and even when it was first mentioned was a CONSOLE MMOFPS to take place in the EVE Online universe, and at E3 we only learned that instead of both consoles it would be exclusive to PS3 so it never was and never will come to PC

2) It will cost 10-20 dollars for the slew of people who decided to say it would probably be 60 bucks and how can a free game not be free…the game is obviously going to include microtransactions and in order to first play the game you will need to pay a “cover charge” of pre-purchasing 10 or 20 dollars in credits to use in game on microtransactions to play…so you are getting in game items with those credits (technically not paying for the game) and then they even say after that, that they might go fully free to play down the line so if you have a problem with pre-purchasing credits just wait and see if they go fully F2P and quit your bitchin

3) Keyboard and mouse may be the origin of the FPS but the 360 gamepad has triggers on it for a reason, because real guns have friggin triggers on them…so we will leave that debate at that (can’t stick up for PS3 though since its a shit controller and def not made for FPS’)

And don’t even get me started with the WASD…analog sticks are much more precise and make more sense in their usage…

23. jacobvandy

AFAIK, they’ve never said “never” when it comes to a PC version of Dust 514. If what you said was true, they’d at least have commented to that effect, yes? I mean, look at Grand Theft Auto or other major console games that eventually make their way over; “exclusivity” is bullshit for the most part, and considering CCP is an indie PC dev at heart, that makes the case for Dust 514 even thinner. I think they really wanted the game on console(s), and while MS refused because they won’t allow third-party micro-transactions, Sony said okay, as long as it’s exclusive for a while.

24. IL DUCE

“Dust 514 is an upcoming console-based MMOFPS set within the Eve universe, developed by CCP Games.”

It’s always been a console based game since it was announced, even when barely information for it was available, they have NEVER even mentioned PC whatsoever…if you have a gaming PC I suppose they expect you to play EVE Online, and in order to expose the console market to that universe they created Dust 514…it’s being developed EXCLUSIVELY for the PS3, and like you said it would have made it’s way to 360 if they allowed microtransactions but still in that exchange there was no mention of PC ever in the picture, they never said it’s no longer coming to PC and 360, only that it was no longer coming to 360 and would be exclusive to PS3…we’ll see but my money’s on no PC version, ever…or you’ll see it eventually, kind of like that PC version of Battlefield 1943 right?