Resi Evil: Mercenaries save system unlikely to be implemented again, says Capcom

Monday, 4th July 2011 12:32 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Capcom US boss Christian Svensson has said the one save-file system for Resident Evil: The Mercenaries is unlikely to be used again following the backlash towards it.

The way it works effectively makes it useless for the second-hand market. GAME and GameStation are accepting trade-ins, but HMV told VG247 last week it would not.

“I think it’s fair to say there was never quite the malicious intent the conspiracy theorists out there would have you believe,” said Svensson in the latest Ask Capcom.

“It’s also fair to say in light of the controversy it’s generated I don’t think you’re going to see something like this happening again.”

Capcom had said the second-hand market was “not a factor” in its introduction.

1. StolenGlory

Common sense wins again.

Until the next time.

2. Lewis247

“conspiracy theorists out there would have you believe,”… Again, people just looking at it from a different angle get called conspiracy theorists and people MUST beleive the official statement. Fuck, I mean WHY… SERIOUSLY WHY would you implement a one save feature? It makes absolutely no sense. Capcom have given absolutely no justifiable explenation for it BUT they did how ever manage to bring up that it had nothing to do with use games sales? HMMM….

All I can say is it is a stupid idea and Capcom obviously knew this. Thank god there was a backlash because they would not have learned and maybe even kept it up.

These odd things better start not popping up over the place.

3. neon6

Even though they’re completely condescending to their fan base, they’re so used to buying sequels over new IPs to the point that they’ve grown used to it. They’re like the Japanese version of Activision. It’s a bad relationship that’s for sure.

4. OlderGamer

That would be something, could be the next big thing. An online code that registers the game disc to the profile. Once the code is used you can not create a game save unless your using said disc with said profile. That would have a huge impact on second hand sales.

Eventualy the retail chain second hand reseller will force the market into something people don’t like at all. I’d like to see a law that makes retailers give a portion of all second hand game sales to the pubs. That would stop this crap cold.

We all buy second hand games, but in fairness shouldn’t the companies that made and published the game get paid for it instead of Game, Gamestop, etc?

5. DSB

@4 Very few people will be using discs in 10 years time, it’s just a question of consoles catching up, but what you’re suggesting has been going on for years. Games for Windows Live, Ubisoft Online Services Platform?

I lost about an hour of gameplay in Red Faction: Guerilla because I missed the fact that I couldn’t save without signing into Games for Windows Live, which I would obviously prefer not to, on any given day.

Only cost me 2 euro on a Steam sale, so I’ve left it to rot.

Why can’t everybody be like CD Projekt? I like to feel good about buying stuff, not disgusted.

I can’t wait for the industry to get over its current little wave of hysteria. It’s like the floppy disc era all over again. At some point they’ll realize that they’re achieving fuck all, and that they’re still earning money, and not bother with the futile expense. Of course that’s all made harder by more aggressive companies pushing DRM, and needing to project an image of it actually working for someone.

I remember that developers would actually code self-destruct mechanisms into genuine floppy discs, so if you tried to copy anything on it, the game would break itself.

6. The_Red

@1 So true.

Hmmm, this reminds me of Rob Fahey who called sites and people that didn’t believe Capcom’s official response “conspiracy theorists”. I wonder if the decision to not implement this stupid feature in future Capcom games is also a strange theory.
    I had a lot of respect for EG and Mr Fahey’s articles but after that horrible PR damage control for Capcom, I don’t think I can trust them again.

7. neon6

Also, do you guys remember when Capcom said they wouldn’t make a SSF4 and that Arcade Edition wouldn’t come to consoles and they did it anyway?