Age of Conan goes F2P, launch trailer released

Friday, 1st July 2011 11:24 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Team Fortress 2 and World of Warcraft (sorta) aren’t the only ones to go F2P recently.

Funcom’s now made Age of Conan free to play.

Now known as Age of Conan: Unchained, the MMO will encourage new and old players to check out some of the content from Hyborian, as well as introduce a new cash shop.

New content will also be introduced as part of the switch to F2P.

There’s a trailer for the launch below, via PC Gamer. Thanks, Massively.

1. Erthazus

That is actually quite sad and at the same time great that it’s free now.

I have a friend who purchased the collectors edition with freakin amazing map and he said a lot to me like: this game is a killer and blah… blah … blah.

so much potential was here.

2. Grimrita

The best bit about AoC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw

3. Gekidami

I got the Collectors Edition of this, number 36,394 out of 86,000 so its a real deal limited thing apparently… Cant say i’m to bothered about it going free though, i canned my sub after a few months, the game sucks.

4. Erthazus

I never played it, but people say that first 20 levels or so (tutorial) in this game is amazing, after that it’s not so much…

Is it true?

5. KrazyKraut

@Erthazus
    That was at the beginning.Till lvl 40 you had a lot of fun and then…there was no content till lvl 60…that was really sad.But like I said, that was at the beginning.

We started it 3 months ago again and its better than ever. Its not so hardcore like FFXI, but the instances are bad ass, especially the epic ones.

Till lvl 20, every NPC and whatever has a voice, after that only the important story npc have one. But thats okay. The asian-style expansion “Rise of teh Godslayer” brought an awesome new experience, with ne classes, sets and so on.

But only when you have the premium sub…not the free one^^

I played it from the beginning with early access and I was not happy. But when I returned this year (again)…folks, its polished. Brutal, sexy and awesome.

Tip: If you like PVP, avoid “Fury”-Server….

6. DSB

The one thing it got right: Necromancer class.

Not that it was fun to play, it was pretty terrible, but just the fact that it was in the game. Screw hunters and warlocks, necromancers are far and above the single coolest class you can ever put in an RPG.

Which is also why I’ll be picking up Guild Wars 2. I think the underwater crap looks like a shallow gimmick and the rest looks awfully familiar, but necromancers are go!

Actually, now that I think about it, any game that lets you interact with corpses in imaginative ways tend to be awesome.

7. endgame

LOL! but wow (world of warcraft) is not free to play. it’s like saying that every game that has a demo is free. which is not. only a very small portion of it is.

8. BULArmy

In my opinion AoC was the only MMO that had the chance to be a WoW killer. It had potential, whic was cramped by one of the worst starts ever, which can be explained with the huge amount of people that tried to play the game. But back then the gamers were more unforiving and labeled the game as bad. Nowadays it is expected for huge MP games to have issues on the start, but nobady make so much fuss.

9. DSB

That’s a lame excuse, BULArmy

WoW offers highly scripted, highly rewarding fights in individually instanced zones, and Funcom brought a game to market that has everybody sharing the same instances of dungeons or raids, meaning that everybody’s scrambling to kill the same boss, and anybody’s able to leech on a succesful group, and several spells (all of the ones I tried for the necromancer) were sharing the very same animations.

That’s not bugs, or little missteps, that’s plain old crappy design. It was just a bad, halfassed game.

I wanted to like it too, and I was hoping it would be a new Anarchy Online, but any good decision they made on that game was countered by five critically bad ones.

10. Hybridpsycho

Eeeh DSB, do you have any idea of what you’re saying?

No one shared the same instances etc. That’s a load of bullcrap, I was part of the raiding when it started in AoC. None of what you are saying is true.
    The only “Instance” you share, are the normal questing zones, it’s the same as WoW but like many games, they have different “instances” of zones that you can go to.

Anyway, this game had huge potential and I enjoyed it for a long time. However the fact that they had to release it like 6-12 months earlier than planned fucked everything up.

I’m probably gonna play some now that it’s F2P just ’cause the enviroments, the soundtrack and the overall feeling of the game is unbeatable.
    Especially if you choose to be cimmerian ;)

11. Gekidami

The instancing and loading killed it for me. Areas felt empty because there were so many instances and the loading… Oh the loading! So much loading…

I went from WoW’s massive, open world to small areas cut off by long loading screens. From that point on i decided to ignore any MMO without an open overworld.