Microsoft “watching and wanting to understand” 3D

Wednesday, 29th June 2011 01:47 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Microsoft’s David Dennis has said the company is waiting to see how the 3D trend plays out before committing.

“Something we’re watching and wanting to understand from consumers is whether this is something they actually want,” the Xbox senior product manager told Eurogamer.

“Does it add to the gaming experience? Does it distract from the gaming experience? Is it something they want to play long-term? Or is it something they try a few times and then go back to regular 2D modes?”

Dennis doesn’t seem convinced that the 3D push is motivated by the benefits to gaming.

“3D is an interesting space. There was a big rush by some other folks in the industry to convince people they want to play in 3D,” he said

“You can question the motivations of why they want to make everyone go buy a new TV perhaps, but I think 3D has to fit in a natural way where it fits with the gameplay.”

You can probably guess who he means by that. Microsoft isn’t ruling it out, though.

“You watch the market penetration of 3D TVs, you look if it’s something people are buying and you adapt and innovate, just like we’ve done by deploying different system updates and features. If there’s other things we want to do with 3D because consumers are asking for we would explore it.”

1. swissMinty

So far the only thing that’s piqued my interest in 3D gaming is that TV/monitor Sony revealed at E3 where it removed splitscreen.

2. HauntaVirus

agree 100%

3. Malmer

The immersion of 3D-gaming is great though. Love it! The space-flying in Killzone 3 is a whole different world in 3d, so is the walker fighting sequence. In general, everything where you fly is awesome.

As for Microsoft, one wish they would atleast add basic dashboard support for developers so it doesn’t look like crap when you press the guide button. Having the console tell the TV automatically that it is a 3D signal wouldn’t hurt either. They can do it, they just havn’t.

4. Blerk

Please go away and die quietly, 3D. There’s a good chap.

5. drewbles82

Hate 3D. we didnt need it 20yrs ago we dont need it now.

Doesnt add to the experience, just means you should have more breaks when gaming cuz you’ll get headaches — no thanks

Cinemas are the ones annoying me the most, almost every big film now is in 3D, most of them are not impressive in 3D. Now most cinemas are only showing 3D versions of film instead of the 2D version.
    Tickets were £2 when I was teen, now just for a 2D film its £5.60, 3D is £8 if u got ur own glasses and like £13 with glasses.
    Naturally if ur a business, ur gonna show 3D more than 2D

6. NightCrawler1970

@1, you mean 3D on separate screen-glasses??? it’s possible… why not… i rather have full screen of my player and my co-player have his full screen it’s allot better than 1 large TV splitted….

@5, If you don’t like 3D don’t buy it… it could save you $$$$….
    You’re not FORCED to buy everything thats comes on the market, like the Kintec, or 3D TV…

7. viralshag

“Motion control is an interesting space. There was a big rush by some other folks in the industry to convince people they want to play using motion control,”

“You can question the motivations of why they want to make everyone go buy a new TV perhaps, but I think motion control has to fit in a natural way where it fits with the gameplay.”

See what I did there, MS. Who are you guys trying to kid? Xbox 3D-60 is probably around the corner.

I’m with 4 and 5 on this one. 3D is gimicky crap that needs to GTFO. I watched the new Transformers movie last night in 3D. Here’s a spoiler: it’s shit.

8. IL DUCE

@7 Lmao at the last line of your post

I’m not a big fan of 3D, I don’t doubt that its cool but like comment 5 said I don’t want to have to put down a really awesome game every couple of hours to avoid getting sick or going blind lol…

I understand Sony pushing it because they are in the 3D TV market so its make good business sense to make all your games 3D capable and to offer that experience to your customers who buy the TVs and have PS3s…for MS its not as much of a needed feature to push since they are not selling the TVs as well…

Crysis 2 and Black Ops were 3D capable on the 360 so its really just the developer’s choice…maybe Gears or Halo would be interesting in 3D but I can live without it and prefer the normal experience…

9. Hybridpsycho

I hate 3D movies, but 3D gaming…so much can be done with it. Completely new ways to interact, I’m defo interested in seeing what the future has in store for 3D gamers.

Also, lazy microsoft wanting Sony/Nintendo to do all the work/recon before “wasting” money on it themselves :/