Report – Game Republic quietly shutting down

Thursday, 16th June 2011 00:30 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Game Republic, the independent studio behind Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom and Genji: Days of the Blade, appears to be closing doors amid financial woes.

According to Kotaku‘s translation of a GDash report, Game Republic has closed down its website and vacated its office space, suggesting it’s gone under.

Most Japanese game companies would issue a press release on closing down, even in dire financial straits. There are said to be rumours design lead Yoshiki Okamoto has left Japan ahead of massive debts.

Game Republic acquired an unfair reputation after Sony’s disastrous presentation at E3 2006, in which a Sony rep nonchalantly kicked off the giant enemy crab meme while demonstrating Genji: Days of the Blade.

The developer’s other well-known titles include early PlayStation 3 titles Folklore and Dark Mist.

Thanks, That VideoGame Blog.

1. LOLshock94

Sony rep nonchalantly kicked off the giant enemy crab meme

best meme ever

2. xiaobuuy

3. Telepathic.Geometry

What a shame, I am probably one of the very few people who adored the Majin game. ;_;

4. DaMan

Folklore was a good game.

5. rainer

Majin was a diamond in the rough, if it had been polished more they cold have had a hit.

Fantastic music/audio in the Majin game as well I hope those responsible find work elsewhere.

6. Telepathic.Geometry

rainer, I love you man. I though it was only me… :’)

7. Blerk

Majin looked great in the previews but they seemed to fumble it at the last minute. With a bit more time and investment it could’ve been a contender, I’m sure.

Best of luck for the future, chaps.

8. Telepathic.Geometry

The only thing it needed was a better character model for Tuppelay, better English voice acting (from what I’ve heard) and better marketing. The level design and the controls and story really worked for me. :’) Majin’s so lovable.

9. Blerk

The voices were hideous. Hideous.

/shudders

10. Telepathic.Geometry

In Japanese they were fine. d–(^-^)

11. Espers

>_< I am very sad, I really liked Genji Days of the Blade and was waiting for a sequel, enjoyed that game a lot.

Majin was a visually beautiful game, I hope Sony backed them up a little, I like their works.