Insomniac’s Overstrike announced by EA Partners – first trailer inside

Monday, 6th June 2011 20:36 GMT By Johnny Cullen

EA has just announced Overstrike, a brand new four-player co-op based “Spy-Fi” IP from Insomniac Games

No screens yet from EA. The game sees you play as part of a team known as

EA and Insomniac Games Reveal New Four-Player Co-Op Action Game Overstrike 9, which is comprised of an ex-mercenary, a thief, a scientist and a detective.

Overstrike 9 are considered “outcasts” but are thought to be the best available when a terrorist group tries to destroy humankind.

“Overstrike presents a unique blend of features that have long been a part of the Insomniac DNA: high powered gadgets, action-heavy gameplay, memorable characters in a deep and mysterious universe and of course a touch of humor,” said Insomniac CEO, Ted Price.

“And since this is our first multiplatform game, we’re especially excited to introduce ourselves to a new audience — one which may not have experienced our previous games.”

No date yet – expect that to be announced during the press conference going on right now – but it’ll launch on PS3 and 360.

Watch the first trailer below.

1. Blerk

Well that looks quite interesting, actually. Gadget-based comedy with a slightly more realistic (but still cartoony) look. Sort of like Timesplitters with gizmos.

2. OlderGamer

It had a TS vibe I thought too. Paint me interested.

3. El_MUERkO

I totally agree with the TS vibe, it’s definitely peaked my interest.

4. Detale

Yep, one to keep an eye on I think.

5. mathare92

A welcome return to some classic Insomniac humour.

Now then, this guy or Captain Qwark. Who’s chin is bigger? :P

6. Gadzooks!

Absolutely love the trailer, but I’ve no idea what sort of game it is.

7. KL

the first half of that trailer picked my interest,the comedy and the presentation,the second half put me off it reminded me a cheap anime-like movie.the art direction is so-so.the gals looks are uninspired.
    we have to see some gameplay

8. Erthazus

CGI looks interesting.

but in my opinion this year it’s too much CGI and not so much gameplay.

9. Phoenixblight

I am liking the idea of the game it has a TF type concept with actual story. I have always enjoyed Insomniac’s games so definitely will be keeping my eye on this.

10. rrw

insomiac should just stay away from realistic graphic and keep pixar=ly graphic

11. OlderGamer

I would have to agree with ya Erth, I have seen too many times where you weren’t playing as much as watching. QTE do not equal a fun game, imo.

QTE can be alright if sprinkled lightly. And cut scences can enhance some types of games. However….a game that is too tightly scripted turns me off completly. And I have been seing a lot of scripted sequences in a few of these games previewed/demod thus far.

Maybe all of that is just down to presenters wanting to draw the audiances into the game.

12. nofear360

On GT, they just relevaled that it’s a four-player co-op game, can’t remember whether they said it’s FPS or TPS. When asked when we can expect more info, Ted Price simply said check our website for more info which means we’ll probably have to wait a while to learn more about the game. Also no gameplay was shown, just clips from the trailer.

13. rrw

@12 they say something cross between TPS and action game

14. HauntaVirus

WOW, I’m loving it so far.

15. nofear360

@ 13: Oh.. can’t wait to see it then :)

16. absolutezero

This trailer gave me hope that some people still remember Kate Archer.

17. Kaufer

Oh god! I love it already. I hope this leads into a movie franchise too. Even a comic series is good.