First Tomb Raider trailer confirms autumn 2012 release

Friday, 3rd June 2011 06:24 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Moments after airing on the GameTrailers pre-E3 special, the very first trailer for the Tomb Raider reboot is in the wild! Check it out through the cut.

Pat told me never to use exclamation marks again, but I love Tomb Raider, so.

The trailer points to a “Fall 2012″ release – that is, northern autumn and southern spring, ages and ages of grim despair away.

If you’re keen on behinds-the-scene stuff, the official Tomb Raider Flickr has a photoset from the making of the trailer.

1. Phoenixblight

Looks like when you sign up to Square for a publisher you get to have their artists do the work for you too. ANd they follow the all CGI trailers.

Deus EX is crossed off and now TOmb raider is on the fence for me. Good job Square.

2. Mike

Still would.

3. noherczeg

OMG.

At first, i didn’t read anything from the post, just pushed the play button.

This was the first time for me, when i couldnt determine at the first minute: is this a CGI or a live action stuff.

GG CD & SE :)

4. Kenshin1870

Very nice cutscene for start. I hope they show a gameplay in the next week.

5. Rhythm

Gah, autumn *next* year? ;_;

Good stuff though, loving the tone. Can’t wait to see some gameplay

6. Brenna Hillier

Can I remember the difference between Spike and GameTrailers? Yeah, apparently not. Fixed now.

7. razvan2you

The place with all the boats it’s the bermudas triangle…..this game is a game changer…..

8. onlineatron

Liking Lara’s voice this time round, I usually find it insufferable. Actually, I find the whole Lara Croft character insufferable; she’s mean spirited and dull.

Hopefully this game addresses that.

9. onlineatron

I can’t wait until the big reveal moment in this game.

You’re running through a dense jungle, noise all around, creeks and whines, you’re breath quickening, your heart thudding; you smash through an opening, into a blinding light. You’re on a beach, you hear screams and look left. There you see a plane, in tatters, a man in a suit, a pregnant lady, an Asian couple… Where are you?

10. Mike

Spike is hosted by a wanker. :)

11. Erthazus

“I can’t wait until the big reveal moment in this game.”

Then wait for the Microsoft press conference.

12. Patrick Garratt

Goosebumps. Amazing work, CD.

13. Bluebird

That looks very nice. Lets hope the gameplay can keep up with the quality CGI. Would love to see an alternative to Uncharted that puts more emphasis on puzzles and exploration.

14. Stardog

Let’s hope they don’t just copy Uncharted.

15. Gurdil

Waw I didn’t think I would say that about a Tomb Raider game ever again but… Can’t wait to see some gameplay! oO

16. varsas

I thought that was an excellent trailer and it’s certainly a different set up to Uncharted and previous Tomb Raider games.

17. Maximum Payne

ghost voice(from cod):Beautiful.

18. Dralen

She’s purrrdy.

19. AHA-Lambda

that looked pretty damn good =D

20. M. K.

`Let’s hope they don’t just copy Uncharted.“

Oh dear god…

21. marijnlems

The Passion of the Croft?

Man, if even ONE of the games lives up to the promise of the amazing trailers released today (Metro: LL, Prey 2, Tomb Raider) I’ll be extremely happy. Really like where they’re going with this one – making Lara more vulnerable and more relatable is a really good choice. I just hope they don’t push it too far: both Samus Aran and Aya Brea were recently made whimpering damsels in distress and that is a very worrying development. But the end of this trailer looks very hopeful in that regard (as does the “survivor” angle in general).

22. DrDamn

Isn’t that the Uncharted plane at 1:55? :)

Where Lara could learn from the gunplay in Uncharted, NaughtyDog could learn from the puzzles in Tomb Raider.

23. DaMan

I dream a dream about a TR game with zero shooting in it.

24. Hunam

That looks incredible. Now SE are doing Eidos’ trailers they all look amazing :)

25. nofear360

@9: Lost!! :)

26. Xuchilbara

GROSS! Did you see how ugly she was!? I would never even think about doing her now… Good thing they really “toned down” her sex appeal…

In all honesty… Yea, I would still do her. AND that trailer was damn good, I am actually really excited for this game. Sad its more than a year out though :(

27. Espers

To my guess TR reboot is using Final Fantasy XIII White Engine !! same graphic rendering quality !! Let’s hope Game-play graphics is close to the CG cut-scenes in quality, else it’s gonna be disappointing !!

A little gift in 1080p

28. DaMan

It’s Crystal Dynamics’ proprietary one..

29. Espers

@28 I KNOW THEY SAID THAT, HOWEVER I MENTIONED THE WORDS ” I GUESS ” BECAUSE IT LOOKS THE SAME IN TERMS OF QUALITY AND CHARACTER RENDERING. I DOUBT IT’S TRUE WHAT CRYSTAL DYNAMICS ARE SAYING !!

THEY’VE BEEN SO LONG IN TR HOWEVER THEY HAVEN’T CREATED SOMETHING SIMILAR WHILE SQUARE USED TO ALWAYS AMAZE US WITH FF CG SINCE FF-X

30. DaMan

They’re tweaking it, it’s the same one used for Underworld, as well as the upcoming Deus Ex iirc.

Cg quality is due to Squenix doing the work.