Final Fantasy XIII-2 get teased ahead of E3 showing next week

Friday, 3rd June 2011 17:17 GMT By Johnny Cullen

GameSpot’s gone live with a 35 second teaser trailer of Final Fantasy XIII-2 ahead of the RPG’s first full showing at E3 next week.

The video doesn’t show too much – literally snippets fly by – but there are glimpses of Serah and new characters in the game. Lighting’s there too.

It follows first details on FFXIII-2′s story coming out yesterday.

Expect the full banana to air during either the Microsoft or Sony press conferences on Monday. We’ll have full coverage right on the site from Monday evening.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 launches this winter for PS3 and 360.

1. RaisinBran

No thanks. I learned my lesson after 13. I’m waiting for Type 0 and Versus 13

2. Hunam

They still have some corridors in there, but at least two areas shown were open, which is double that of FF13 already.

3. Erthazus

@2, FFXIII after 40 hours of pain had a big open SHITTY area.

so “but at least two areas shown were open”

does not say anything.

4. Prof.Dr.Moertel

@3 indeed. I´m still wondering if Square really thinks that XII-2 is going to sell well….. Crap, there are too many Final Fantasy fanboys :D

5. ultramega

QQ more, kiddies. Just because you have a certain idea of what Final Fantasy is, that doesn’t make your opinion the right one. I’m looking forward to the new game; I’m glad they’ve been exploring new directions.

6. Wesker

@5 So? It still doesn’t make Final Fantasy XIII a good game. It’s bland, just like its characters.
    I would’ve been fine with the bland gameplay, if the story telling was any good but nah-ah it wasn’t.

Lightning was annoying as sh*t.

7. 2plus2equals5

I HATED the combat system, so bye bye.

8. ultramega

Again, your opinion. I feel otherwise.

9. Hunam

I didn’t like the combat system much either. Or the fact it forced you down to two battle party members for the first half of the game which was less than fun. The map design was really terrible and the one open area was lifeless and bland.

However… the story was very good, just not very well told. I loved the characters and I liked upgrading my characters and weapons. The CG cutscenes were beyond amazing though.

Basically, it wasn’t a good game but could have been if they knew what they were doing, and judging by FF13 and FF14 at that time they didn’t. Hopefully this will take the good and almost good elements from FF13 and make it how it should have been done.

10. DUFFKING

Say what you like about the battle system, but it at least keeps you involved toward the end. I beat FFVI recently and every single dungeon just became a chore toward the end. ‘Oh, fire weakness. Oh, holy weakness’. This spell, that spell, blah, done.

Not really much less linear either. Only things that would count as non linear before the endgame are a few optional things like the coliseum, the veldt if you can really, really be bothered and the towns with the odd unimportant side quest.

I’m looking forward to this. Enjoyed XIII but the developers need to get all the combat elements introduced sooner and give it a nice twist to keep things interesting.

11. neon6

@8 Congratulations on letting someone else’s opinion bother you to the point that you must repeat yourself.

12. Epic Fool

Lifeless and bland? The Archylte Steppe?

Um, no.

Quite the motherfucking goddamn contrary I would say.

Seriously, I’ve never seen anything like it before or since, maybe I’m missing something here?

(@9)

13. Espers

@6 SINCE YOUR NICKNAME IS WESKER <= IT MEANS HOW BULLSHIT YOU ARE. FINAL FANTASY GAMEPLAY IS AWESOME FOR PEOPLE WHO USE THEIR BRAINS !! NO STUPID FPS PEOPLE WHO LIKE TO POINT AND SHOOT

14. Espers

@7 OF COURSE YOU WILL CAUSE IT’S FOR SMART PEOPLE !! FINAL FANTASY IS NOT FOR EVERYONE !! CAUSE IT’S NOT CHEAP ( NOT TALKING ABOUT THE MONEY HERE )!!

15. Erthazus

@Hunam,
    “However… the story was very good, just not very well told. I loved the characters ”

haha. for you any story in videogames is GOOD.

you should read more books or at least comic books, because you can find this school drama in almost any anime or manga there is.

@Espers,
    “FINAL FANTASY GAMEPLAY IS AWESOME FOR PEOPLE WHO USE THEIR BRAINS !! ”

Yeah… after finishing FFXIII my IQ i think is slightly lowered.

Epic sentence.