Witcher 2 coming to Xbox 360 at the end of the year

Thursday, 2nd June 2011 20:02 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

CD Projeckt RED has just finished up its pre-E3 show, during which the fellas announced The Witcher 2 for Xbox 360. The firm said it will contain the same quality, and will be released by the end of the year.

CD Projekt will be showing the Witcher 2 on Xbox 360 at E3, and it will be playable apparently. They also showed a teaser video for the console version, which you can watch below.

The firm also announced that the Witcher 2 moved over 400,000 copies during it’s first week on PC, and the next big patch, v 1.2, is hitting tomorrow. You can change your haircut with it too apparently, in five different ways with the free barber DLC hitting with the patch. You will have to work for it though, like arm wrestle a dwarf to get braids.

Changes to GOG.com are coming as well such as personal messaging and a new downloader. The new publisher the firm has been teasing is Electronic Arts, and 25 of the firm’s back catalog will be added.

Three games were added today: Ultima 1 and 2, Wing Commander and Dungeon Keeper and three more are coming next week.

More will be added over the summer, and the firm is working hard to bring you System Shock as well.

Watch the Witcher 2 Xbox 360 teaser below.

1. _LarZen_

Stares at screen

2. Stephany Nunneley

Christ. Please. Start already.

3. FadeLive

Popcorn, check
    Soda, check
    press conference started, check, check and check

Lets do this :D

4. pukem0n

Witcher 2 for 360 pleaaaaase

5. Erthazus

i don’t know. STREAM lags for me. I’m the only one?

6. Stephany Nunneley

Haircut dlc. Awesome.

7. pukem0n

stream lags sometimes…

also, is there like a list of ALL E3 live streams and on which times they start?
    that would be helpful

8. Erthazus

It’s coming to Xbox 360

I want to see that.

LOL. They said about LOW settings….

XD Good luck with that.

9. pukem0n

end of this year?…

its gonna be a poor port anyways, so hurry up!! ^^

10. Liamc723

Why no PS3 version? :(

11. Erthazus

@10 hard to make port mate.

They can’t fix the PC version.

12. razvan2you

But where’s the “new big project” trailer promised??? Witcher 2 on Xbox is not a new project…..is just a shity port

13. M. K.

Well, if I’d care about exclusives, I’d be very happy now, or sad :D

14. Moonwalker1982

YES YES!!!! I am so goddamn happy now. But if they are coming out in november with it, surely it has been in the making for awhile now then?

15. _LarZen_

These are moments you are glad you have the best of both worlds :)

16. Erthazus

@12, yeah… dissapointed.

their big project is probably that they are going to release 1.2 patch. LOL

17. Shonak

18. FadeLive

Because the PS3 doesn’t have any games /trollface

I kid I kid, I would imagine it has something to do with the 360 architecture being similar to a PC (or so I’ve heard) so easier to port the game there. Who knows they might announce a PS3 version down the line.

19. tigersaman

pooooooah .150mb of nothing but a spoiled port Announcement.

20. FadeLive

Obviously the biggest announcement of E3 this year will forever be Haircut DLC. Battlefield 3 MP footage? pft haircut DLC. Uncharted 3 Gameplay? pft haircut DLC. Project Cafe? pft haircut DLC. :P

21. SplatteredHouse

Microsoft are the ones funding it, so PS3 doesn’t get a look in, maybe? It’s a well-known PC franchise, the cupboard’s looking more bare for Xbox than in previous years, and it will cause people to pay attention, so then I think Microsoft would do that, and I can’t say I’d hold it against them if they did.

22. KL

Exactly,third party developer means after a year they probably will.
    Anyhow was about time for a good 360 exclusive even if it’s timed :)

23. Erthazus

@20 i like how they said:

Harcut DLC!11 Haircut DLC and you know what? It’s for FREE.

NO SHIT Sherlock. Who will buy 5 haircuts? Jesus…

24. jldoom

@15 Exactly :)

Funny thing is I was just looking at which games to buy for if I get to build my PC by the end of the summer. Now at least I know I’ll get to enjoy this game if I don’t get the fund by the end of the year.

25. Bloodyghost

Clears throat.

Did I not call this?!

Bam. Erth as my witness. Expecting gameplay of it at MS Conference.

I am hyped but I hate that i did watch one of the 16 endings on the game. Oh, well there is 15 OTHER endings.

26. _LarZen_

The list of games validating my upgrade in computer parts just got a little smaler…not many left now.

27. Bloodyghost

@26 plus the graphics dont look as bad as I would think!

CD was right about working with consoles and its engine!

Looks like my fall schedule is now:
    -Gears 3
    -Dark Souls
    -Skyrim
    and
    -Witcher 2

28. Moonwalker1982

I wonder if those were 360 ingame graphics in the announcement video.

29. Talkar

Your absolutely Right. The xbox uses a lot of the same technology, used in Windows PC, and is therefore a lot easier to write games for, if you are used to writing games/applications for the PC. I would even dare say that anyone picking up on C# for example, would maybe even find it easier to program for the 360 than for the PC.

30. Dralen

@28 I doubt it. Hence why they haven’t given a date yet. If we see anything it will be at E3.

31. jacobvandy

The Xbox version won’t have Ubersampling, that’s for damn sure!

32. Edo

Anyone else killed Leto at the end?

33. Bloodyghost

@32 I did through watching the first Playthrough ending vid. But now that this is on the Xbox, I kinda hope I dont do that while playing.

34. Old MacDonald

Disappointed with the news, I was hoping for an expansion pack or something. Though I guess it’s good for those poor souls who can’t play it on the PC.

The EA on GOG-thing is a lot more interesting. Already bought Privateer and the Ultima Underworlds. Always wanted to play those games, finally I can.

There are tons of treasures in the EA-archives, so I’m expecting very good things from this deal.

32: Yes. Didn’t feel good about it, but he had it coming.

35. Blerk

Hurrah! Count me in for 360 Witcher…ing. :-D

But can we confirm whether or not the console version will feature the five new haircuts? ;-)

36. Bloodyghost

@34 an expansion….already?!

O.O

also was this game WORTH the purchase that I should get it in the sea of other games this fall?

37. mathare92

Could it possibly be a timed exclusivity thing like Mass Effect 2? Or are MS in charge of publishing this?

38. Edo

#36 There are numerous minor flaws,but the story(for majority of the game),gfx and the rich world outweigh them all!Just remember that this is not a open world RPG(to such an extent as Oblivion for instance)!

39. FadeLive

@32 Shared a bottle of vodka with him before I stabbed him to death with my sword. I’m kind of evil like that. :/

@36 If you like RPGs with a conversation system similar to Bioware games and more action driven combat system ala Demon’s Souls you will most definitely enjoy the game. Game pretty much demands two play throughs to see all the content (some choices drastically change the outcome of things even to where an entire chapter take place elsewhere with separate quests). So there is very much enough bang for your buck if you will.

Currently at I’ve put 46 hours into the game in total (two play throughs) and still haven’t done all the side quests etc.

My only disappointment with the game is that the last chapter is somewhat short and lackluster but its a very fun game to play. Game can be hard at first too if you don’t know what you are doing.

40. Moonwalker1982

But from what i’ve heard, the game is alittle liniar? From what i understand the game isn’t anything like Elder Scrolls in terms of how large the game-world is and the sense of freedom. True?

41. Bloodyghost

Alright @39 sounds good!

This fall is the clash of the RPG giants with this now on Consoles, Dark Souls and Skyrim.

Only Multiplayer game I need to fill me up is Gears 3.

42. minxamo

Mass Effect 2 was made on unreal engine 3, which also runs on PS3, so the port wasn’t very difficult, however to port the witcher 2 to PS3 would either mean an extremely difficult job for the developers, or a severely downgraded version.
    Could happen though.

43. frostquake

Since this is the only way I can play it…I am excited!

44. Dralen

It’s a shame they didn’t make “The Witcher” on consoles. I can imagine some of the story and character relationships being very confusing to newcomers. Fantastic game none the less, and deserves all the praise and profits that they get from it.

45. AHA-Lambda

“working hard to bring you System Shock as well.”

OH GOD YES!!!

i think i just orgasmed =/

46. Bloodyghost

Well @44, time to watch some playthroughs or read some plots.

47. bpcgos

This is it, this is the right way to do some port! Downscaling it and not upscaling it like most publisher/developer have done with their PC port! :)

Especially for console gamer, you must read the manual carefully for this game because it’s a special pc port for your console! Do not counting on in game tutorial (or walkthrough) folks, it’s a PC port!

48. Bloodyghost

@47 Are you really that slow in the head?

Information about them making Witcher 2 on consoles and the UI so it can be used with a controller have been around since last year.

From word of mouth, its not supposed to be a downscaled port.

49. bpcgos

What I mean is in term of gameplay and graphics side!
    I’m almost sure it will be less difficult battle (and maybe less tactical) than in PC that have very steep learning curve.

Meanwhile, I’m also pretty sure in graphic side its not an upscaled port neither! Do it will be the same with pc version(graphic side)?? I doubt it, the texture size and processing power wont be the same due to hardware limitation so its must be downscaled

50. Gurdil

@49 I really don’t see why you would think they’d dumb the gameplay down… It’s a port, the game will surely be the same. Controls will be different of course but that doesn’t mean they have to take away the tactical part or w/e

51. RandomTiger

Yay! This was the only PC game I’ve been gutted about not having a high spec rig to run.

52. KingCancer

will it actually come out this time?

53. Hybridpsycho

enjoy your downscaled gfx n overall the game being made easier (My bet is it will ’cause console fags always whine.)
    Just look at the amount whining @ Demon’s Souls compared to the amount actually enjoying it.
    Enuff said taking into account that Witcher 2 is quite influenced by Demon’s Souls.

54. StolenGlory

Or you could be happy for the fact that 360 owners who maybe don’t have the money to buy a super-powerful gaming rig, will get the chance to experience the game regardless.

I just don’t get it. If folks love a particular game so much; why wouldn’t they want the broadest audience possible to experience it?

55. DSB

StolenGlory +1

Keep in mind that PC gamers (including myself) consistently need to tell themselves that they’re getting a better deal in order to justify the huge ammounts we spend on our towers of power – Otherwise we’d just be saddos, right? :P

56. Mike

Just need to fix my PC and then it’s mine. The console version, by default, won’t be as good. LA Noire can wait, too. They should put that on PC, too, tbf.

57. StolenGlory

Oh yeah, the console version won’t be as good on like-for-like basis, but by the same token it will still likely be better than the majority of it’s peers on the machine :)