Brink statistics site hitting on Tuesday, Agents of Change DLC detailed

Saturday, 28th May 2011 16:59 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Splash Damage has an update on the Brink statistics site, which will go live on Tuesday for the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions.

The PC edition will come “very soon.”

Details on the Agents of Change DLC coming next month was also mentioned, and it will raise the player level cap to 24 as well as add new maps and abilities. There will also be new weapon attachments outfits added as well.

Head on over to the Bethesda Blog for the full rundown.

Thanks, Blue.

1. M. K.

They should patch the matchaking and the lags, I don’t need anything else :)

2. DSB

Brink broke my heart.

I think I actually liked Quake Wars more.

There are just so many little things reminding you of how good it could be. I mean, you have a bunch of cool outfits, and more weapon mods than you can eat, but you only have two choices of camo for your weapon, and it’s locked to either side?

Siiiigh.

3. polygem

@2: i hear you…i haven´t played it yet though. i was so excited – even preordered but cancelled later after the first reviews and matchmaking issues were in. i´m afraid i wont be able to enjoy it. i will try and play it later when the price is down. this will probably happen pretty soon. it´s a shame really because the game has a lot of potential…but who knows. maybe i´ll play it later – love it and will ask myself why i hesitated. a demo would be very welcome…

4. DSB

It’s not unplayable, and having read some of the harsher reviews it’s pretty obvious that someone was more interested in being the big bad wolf and slamming the game for all the lost promise, than actually reviewing it, but I still wouldn’t recommend it at full price.

The worst is how simple the objective system is. There’s very little difference from Quake Wars, and it just doesn’t go far enough. Then you have the Ark which is an amazing setting, but all the maps are basically very rigidly designed corridors, often indoors with none of the great sights in view, leaving little to draw you in.

And SMART definitely isn’t SMART. It’s very clunky and you tend to get stuck, when the opposite was supposed to be the whole draw.

It’s a huge flaw to have one team doing nothing but defending while the other tries to accomplish something. That sort of poor design really blew me away, because I’m pretty sure we’ve all seen a million CTF matches go bad for the same reason in other games.

The world definitely needs a groundbreaking new style of FPS (or really, just an accessible one for the thinking man) and it’s a shame that Splash Damaged promised one without actually moving anything forward.

5. NeoSquall

@4 How could you possibly get stuck?!

6. DSB

@5 It’s quite easy. SMART doesn’t work with most of the reverse sloped objects on the maps, and there are a few of those.

If you try to vault it, you’ll be a sitting duck.

7. freedoms_stain

SMART may not be perfect and perhaps a bit on the “situational” side, but for basic vaulting and getting around it’s 10x smoother than any other competitive online fps.

8. DSB

It’s a great idea, but in the run-up they were talking about a system that let you literally use a map in 3D, and yet the reality is a lot more restrictive.

The whole abbreviation is “Smooth Movement Across Terrain”, but the animation itself is glitchy, and some of the terrain just isn’t meant to be crossed, in spite of being within reach. And sadly that’s a pretty good analogy for Brink itself.

It’s as good as any other regular online shooter, but in my book that’s still a huge disappointment.

9. NeoSquall

@6 In my ten hours of playtime I’ve never been stuck in the environment, and I’ve played with all three body tipes on all maps, both sides, both online and offline.

10. DSB

I didn’t mean chronically stuck. I’ve seen others claim to be, but that’ll happen in 99% of all new shooters, that’s not a real point of criticism.

I simply mean that if you’re counting on vaulting a reverse slope, you’ll be stuck in place long enough for someone to take you out. Smooth it is not.