Mass Effect 3 to feature a broad range of romances

Monday, 16th May 2011 00:53 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Mass Effect series executive producer Casey Hudson has said Mass Effect 3 will feature “wider options” for romancing your crew – and consequences for those who romanced a little too broadly.

“Happy to confirm Mass Effect 3 supports wider options for love interests including same-sex for male and female characters, reactive to how you interact with them in-game,” Hudson tweeted.

In an interview with PC Gamer, the producer commented that there may be no new core romance characters in Mass Effect 3, but that the mix of crews from the two earlier games could have interesting results.

“We’re not introducing any new characters that are going to be love interests. There’s some new characters, but generally it’s going to be the interplay between the characters from 2 and the returning ones from 1, and then Liara as the one that’s… either asexual or omnisexual, depends on how you look at it,” he said.

This could cause anxiety for those lonely heroes who sought solace elsewhere while their original paramour was otherwise engaged – as subtly hinted at in Mass Effect 2.

“So even something like: if you had a Mass Effect 1 romance and you didn’t have a Mass Effect 2 romance, so you stay true to the character from the first game, there’s a scene where you look at the picture of that character, and that’s essentially the romance scene in Mass Effect 2,” Hudson explained.

“I think when people realised that we were thinking about that kind of thing, and that we were going to reflect those kinds of decisions, then it’s like ‘Wow, the game actually knows that I didn’t cheat on my Mass Effect 1 love interest. So if it knows that, then it probably knows other stuff that it will reflect. Then that means I need to think about that stuff [when] talking to characters and making decisions and the like.’”

Mass Effect offered three romance options, while Mass Effect 2 featured at least six (arguably eight). Mass Effect 3 is due on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in early 2012.

Thanks, GayGamer.

1. Lazerate

About damn time!

2. minxamo

BIOWAAAAAAAAAAAAARE!!!!

3. nofear360

I couldn’t get Miranda to sleep with me, so that means… Liara will be waiting for me in ME3! Awesome!

4. YoungZer0

Same-Sex? I thought they said that Shepard would not be gay.

Anyway, good to know.

5. nikk900

I think I speak for eveyone when I say wooooo!

6. Stephany Nunneley

I thought they said there wouldn’t be any new romances? So, are they changing how characters react? Will one decide to switch teams? Will they be changing a character’s personality or the cannon? Inquiring minds wanna know.

7. Phoenixblight

@6 Was mentioned that you won’t be able to just go for squad members. SO its possibly that too.

8. nesgamrx

I am one of the biggest mass effect fans ever. I got all the achievements for ME2. and I’m still working on my Adept achievements from the first 1. I’ve seen all possible outcomes of the story from intensive playing and sheer curiosity. I’ve been a fan ever since shepard became a spectre. but this will ruin everything I’ve worked for. the way I see it is the MEteam isn’t being true to what they said about male shepard 4 years ago. And truthfully, this will not have many good ratings.

sorry fellow fans but the ratings will not lie. I’m a true fan of the story, have all books and comics so this will not affect how I feel about it. other people will look down on this though.