Rayman Origins discussed in latest Game Informer

Friday, 6th May 2011 21:10 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Ubisoft’s Michel Ancel has said in the latest issue of Game Informer that while he has been working on Beyond Good and Evil 2 for “a while” now, he took a bit of a break to work on Rayman Origins.

According to Ancel, one of the things the Rayman team worked on was making the new title more accessible to folks, due to the fact few people finished the first one because of its difficulty.

Origins will also fit various play styles, allowing those who enjoy collecting to collect, and those who like speed runs to, well, speed run. Lums collected will also act as currency for power-ups, health, and “I Dare You” challenges. The challenges have you wagering on whether you can “omplete a complex, acrobatic chain”.

Rayman Origins will also support 4-player local co-op, and according to Ancel the levels in the game were designed “with both single-playing and multiplayer in mind, so no one is at a loss if a player tackles the game alone or in a group.” Co-op characters shown to GI were Rayman, Globox and two teensies. All characters will have the same abilities to keep the game accessible to everyone.

Originally announced as a downloadable title for PS3 and Xbox 360, Rayman Origins will now be a full retail release instead. Ancel said this is due to people wanting a true sequel to the original.

It’s due out around the holidays.

Thanks a bunch, NeoGAF.

1. The_Red

God I loved original Rayman. Didn’t like the sequels much. Not that they were bad the original 2D game had a feeling that other Rayman games didn’t.

2. Epic Fool

Same here.

3. _LarZen_

Oh please make a iPad version also…I want to poke Rayman! :P

4. onlineatron

Full retail sounds like a big mistake.

Probably done for space reasons (XBL 2gb limit is probably… limiting), but I can’t help but think it would blow up more if it was something available digitally. Not myself, but some people don’t like the idea of buying full-priced retail games that are just 2D platformers; but they have no issues with grabbing it from an XBLA or PSN.

5. LOLshock94

@4 totally agree

6. The_Red

@4 Why full priced? Not every retail game has to be 60. That’s the reason games like Enslaved don’t sell. I’d be more than glad to pay 30 or even 40 for any good small game.

But for Rayman Origins though, even 60 is fair. This game looks SICK.

7. Phoenixblight

THere is a lot of people involved in developing the game and there are manufacturers, companies to pay where the Publishers and Developers are getting a very small amount out of that 60$ ANd judges what a “small” game you? By my standards a small game would be a game that has a 5 hour single player.

Cuts of the money:
    Retailer
    Manufacturer
    Console company
    Publisher
    Developer

8. xino

yes…co-op is always good!

9. onlineatron

To be fair, I think it’s quite a small team under Ancel; but yeah, you’re right, I reckon it will be full price.. At least, it will be RRP wise: online retailers will mark it down significantly when it doesn’t sell.

I’ve been insanely pumped for the game since last E3, but with everything else coming out it may just be a rent for me.