Tretton: 360 “running out of steam,” Nintendo makes “babysitting tools”

Friday, 8th April 2011 21:49 GMT By John Callaham

SCEA CEO Jack Tretton has taken some serious pot shots at both Nintendo and Microsoft in a new interview with Fortune today, launching an unprecedented attack on Wii, 360 and Nintendo’s portable consoles.

Tretton tried to again make the case that the Playstation 3 is “just hitting its stride” with regards to the console’s hardware, which includes both a hard drive and a Blu-Ray player.

Related to Wii and the Xbox 360, Tretton said: “They’re starting to run out of steam now in terms of continuing to be relevant in 2011 and beyond.”

He added: “I mean, you’ve gotta be kidding me. Why would I buy a gaming system without a hard drive in it? How does this thing scale?”

He also took a shot against Microsoft’s Kinect motion controller. Tretton said: “Motion gaming is cute, but if I can only wave my arms six inches, how does this really feel like I’m doing true accurate motion gaming?”

And what about Nintendo’s portable family of consoles? Tretton said: “Our view of the ‘Game Boy experience’ is that it’s a great babysitting tool, something young kids do on airplanes, but no self-respecting twenty-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those. He’s too old for that.”

Tretton’s remarks will not go down well with either the competition or fans. PS3 was claimed recently to have a higher “active user base” than Xbox 360, but is still lagging in terms of raw sales.

Wii sales far eclipse those of PS3, meaning that in terms of basic sales, PS3 trails both Microsoft and Nintendo’s current gen machines.

3DS launched in Japan in February and in the west last month.

1. LOLshock94

and playstation copys wiis babysitting tools and gets raped by hackers….

2. Razor

What the fuck

3. Patrick Garratt

I did a proper shocked face when I read those quotes. He’s gone mental.

4. Rudderless

‘Game Boy’? Jesus Christ, Jack.

5. LOLshock94

i think anonmous made him poop his panties so he shits on microsoft and nintendo

6. FredEffinChopin

He’s been watching too many Kevin Butler commercials.

7. Erthazus

When Sony gains a momentum they start to shit all over the place.

Stay classy Trey, stay classy!

8. chriswhaaat

completely agree

9. Amored

And “PS3 is no longer a “game machine,” but an “entertainment media hub” ” :)

10. Johnny Cullen

Nearly choked on my dinner reading them quotes. This is simply amazing.

11. Gekidami

…You do know that no one from Sony actually said that or anything like that, right? It was just journalistic spin to get attention.

12. IL DUCE

At least Microsoft didn’t just copy the Wii like the Move did…not like it matters much though because in a couple of years Microsoft’s new console will come out and the Playstation will be trailing behind once again and take five years to “hit their stride”…again…

13. Zurtech

This seems like he’s throwing a temper tantrum to me. Move didn’t take off and Kinect took over from Wii’s casual money market. PSP lost out to the inferiorly powered DS. And Wii, cos of the casual market it attracted away from Sony who had them all for the last two generations, he’s takin pot shots at the lack of a HDD. So he’s throwing a strop?

Just strikes me as odd someone so high up in a corporate company to do. o_0

Ooooo, quick edit, think it just dawned on me after 23 years of use, perhaps his Gameboy finally gave in and now he’s gotta buy a new one, but no shop sells them anymore. -_^

14. RockTwist

Not sure what his goal was with these comments, but he’s just made me embarassed to be a PS3 owner. Surely this playground shit belongs exactly there, in the playground with the pre-teens arguing over whos console is ‘teh bestest’.

15. Lounds

This guy should wear a T-shirt which says “Everything that comes out my mouth is a sweeping statement”

16. KL

@12 while microsoft copies other things.
    you know Sony didn’t just entered the industry and the competition.they have two very succesful gaming generations behind their back,just because they had a rough start in this one doesn’t mean it will happen again.Is every day the same one?just saying

@11 i think it’s a JOURNALISTIC SPIN too.if not shame on you Mr Tretton :)

17. Lounds

The PS2 made gaming aceptable in homes imo

18. KL

@17 i hear that a lot from people,but many great franchises made their debut on Psx not ps2 hence imo it was more succesful

19. Unlimax

Wow, That’s Harshhh xD !
    but to be honest .. The PS2 was THE BEST gaming console i’v ever seen in this “Generation” ..nufsaid.

20. xino

“He added: “I mean, you’ve gotta be kidding me. Why would I buy a gaming system without a hard drive in it? ”

lol:P

21. TD_Monstrous69

Reading this article just made me laugh, especially at Jack’s joke calling the gameboy a great babysitter. Have always thought Jack Tretton was maybe the best guy on Sony’s corporate side, and I’m glad that they’re finally starting to show some swagger. But I kinda can’t help but think what’s the point?

22. Kysshin

This man has got to be the biggest troll ever seriously. He’s asking for it.

23. pukem0n

apparently he did in fact take the pizzas Anonymous sent to his house, and ate them. Anonymous put shrooms on them for sure…

24. DSB

The bigger they come, the harder they fall.

I think Sony are trying to spin the whole “We’re here for the duration” in the same way that Bush tried to spin the Iraq war.

If the first argument fails: “We’re so powerful, people will love this shit”, then go to plan B (for bullshit): “We never meant to do good at first, we’re going for the second half!”.

25. loveaya

I know that many americans support well X360

26. Ge0force

“but no self-respecting twenty-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those”

I do. :)

I actually spent more time with my babysitting tool than with my ps3.

27. daytripper

honestly these sort of statements make me laugh towards sony, arrogant and out of touch, i disagree about PS2 being the greatest, i thought the original PS was better and SNES better than both. GTA exclusively really gave the push for PS2, especially in USA, Vice City cause an explosion of meteoric sales. I would loved to have heard the meeting between MS and Rockstar when they initially turned down the series, saw the sales and had to do something to get it on the system. The statement reminded me of a certain Phil Harrison, ” You dont need a PC for gaming anymore” or something similar, “Xbox 1.5″ was another one that was cringing (think that was that boring loon Kaz) “4D” “Toy Story graphics PS2″ seriously they spout so much shit at times it amazes me they have so many people believe it.

i’d love them to really push that feedback blog, get to work on a new system, use feedback smartly and when the time is right to unveil a new console have developers on stage actually playing new games not eyedentify/getaway trailers, real time showing why people should buy their new product, not shit like “this super computer will compute calculations for engine development so the super computer can deliver super pixels like the matrix”. Dont take jabs at the competition, do your own thing and give fans what they want. I thought sega, nintendo and ms were dreadful at times but sony take the piss

28. Amored

@11 Nope :)

29. Christopher Jack

Whether or not this is his personal or professional opinion remains to be seen, either way it doesn’t help your public image nor PS3 sales. A good PR rep wouldn’t dis the competition, or ever talk about sales statistics, (The main & only real problem I have about their conferences & shit, tell it to your investors Sony! Not your consumers) A good PR rep would talk about what makes their console ‘superior’ in their PoV & what separates it from the competition. Remember Sony, you’re trying to sell us your product, not stock.

30. _LarZen_

Nintendo is for children with games made for children. But quite a big number of adults actualy play on the systems from Nintendo.

I think they are people that are having problems letting go of their childhood with a combination of some retards.

When a grown man sits playing Pokémon in public people wil find it strange and a little….wel retarded. Like there has to be something “wrong” with that guy over “there”…who the hell plays children games as a adult?

It’s just crazy….but then again there are alot of crazy people out there….

31. daytripper

@30 i’ve seen people in their 40s play DS, PSPs,ipod games etc, never thought nothing of it, never understood the logic of putting some sort of restriction on things like games just because they aernt 12.

it was like the time i was in the states and there was a massive que outside a cinema for a midnight showing of something, we went over to see what it was…transformers the movie 1986 reshowing, yep the robots that turned into cars etc. what surprised me a tiny bit was a lot in the que were smartly dressed, 20s, 30s. at that time i was entering my 20s, it made me realise people are gonna like things like this because they personally enjoy em and doing no harm to anybody in the process.

jack t is alright at times but hes talking complete otter droppings in that interview.

32. Amored

@30 -_______________________________-

33. Christopher Jack

I do find nearly all Nintendo’s games too kiddy or simplistic, but for some reason I still love Pokemon, but that’s no reason to buy one of their consoles, it’s up to the 3rd party publishers to deliver mature games, but 90% of them will suck & when they work that out it’ll once again be exclusively kiddy & casual (or fitness) games.

34. hitnrun

I will likely buy more Sony products in the future due to Mr Person’s sincerely expressed opinions of his competitors.

35. aprotosis

I swear, Sony has supposedly been “Hitting its stride” every year for the past four years. Is this another “Year of the PlayStation” attempt? Soon some other 1st or 2nd Party PS3 developer will give another quote about how they are “Only tapping X% of the PS3s power”. (Where X is a number between 10 and 90)

36. Christopher Jack

@35, Well look at how many officially announced full retail games SCE has coming out (or already came out) for the PS3 this year;

o LittleBigPlanet 2
    o Sorcery
    o Twisted Metal
    o Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception
    o White Knight Chronicles 2

Compared with Nintendo;

o Mario Sports Mix
    o The Last Story (Japan only)
    o The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
    o Pandora’s Tower

Compared with Microsoft;

o Forza Motorsport 4
    o Gears of War 3

Sony seems to be the only manufacturer focused on their fan base. No idea what MS is doing, guess they’re making enough from Gold subs to care about bringing in their own games. Would expect to hear a Wii price drop at the 2011 E3 & a new console at the 2012 E3 from Nintendo.

37. Dralen

I didn’t think I would actually agree with him, but I do.

38. OrbitMonkey

That was fucking superb!! Corporate smack talk, gotta love it :D

39. Gekidami

Seeing as the PS3 has been outselling the 360 for the past 3 years, i’d say them “Hitting their stride” ever year isnt exactly wrong…

40. onlineatron

Oh Jackie boy…

Tretton is a wonderful CEO. He delivers some really smooth presentations, and I tend to respect what he says… But this is ridiculous.

All his statements are hyperbolic nonsense. Shape up Jack, this is no good!

41. Robo_1

This is like Sony marketing smack talk, circa 2004. I really thought they’d gone beyond this sort of bluster, but what the hell, it’s all good fun. Haters gonna’ hate, fanboys gonna…. fan, and it’s all good for the lols.

42. Dannybuoy

I love this provocative shit. It’s all healthy for the industry. A bit of fighting talk is what we need now and again.

43. Mike

Hilarious. One year out of the past 6 or 7 where PS3 actually looks like it’s finally worth investing in and Jackie T blows his load and reminds everyone why Sony top brass are classless cretins.

Nice one, JT. I’m sure NGP will be as successful as PSPGo and will be the grownup choice of handhelds.

44. Erthazus

@Christopher Jack,

o LittleBigPlanet 2 – Very good
    o DC Universe Online – CRAP
    o Killzone 3 – Mediocracy and dissapointment
    o PlayStation Move Heroes – CRAP
    o MotorStorm: Apocalypse – OK Game
    o Ico & Shadow of the Colossus: The Collection – Masterpiece (but just an HD remake)
    o Infamous 2 – Fantastic game.
    o The Last Guardian – Masterpiece probably.
    o Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One – OK
    o Resistance 3 – CRAP
    o SOCOM 4 – Mediocracy, but still i want it because i like tactical shooters. Here i want to say sony thanks for giving me this experience.
    o Sorcery – CRAP
    o Twisted Metal – Fantastic Game
    o Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception – Fantastic Game
    o White Knight Chronicles 2 – CRAP.

Microsoft not only have gears and Forza, Codename Kingdoms is coming and maybe Alan Wake 2 with shitty Halo HD remake.
    It’s arguably if Sony’s lineup is actually better…

45. 2plus2equals5

Nintendo is loved by mature people, but he is in part right, nintendo consoles are also used as babysitting tools.
    It’s not normal that parents give ds to their children to stop their crying, or let sons playing with ds in the church. :|
    I’m talking about children in the stroller!

@44:
    Sorry, but judgements aren’t plausible, you are supposed to have played games that aren’t out, and other judgement are the opposite of critic’s reviews.

46. Christopher Jack

@44, I didn’t include unnamed or unofficial games.

47. tatsujin

Tretton is on fucking crack. Sony developed PS3 and I love the PS3. It’s doing an excellent job so far. But Tretton, sometimes pisses me off. He should just sit there and do E3 just as always. I’d like to know WTF is this guy smoking.

I want to get a Wii to play the JRPG games. Everything else on Wii is junk with the exception of Zelda. The 360 … lol, please …

@44 White Knight Chronicles 2 is going to be great. Resistance 3 = No one knows how good it’s going to be. R1 was awesome, R2′s story is good but the gameplay and jagger graphics killed it.

48. pukem0n

how can you argue the PS3 hits its stride when nearly every xbox exclusive outsells PS3 exclusives easily?
    also multiplat titles outsell those on the PS3. and since the manufacturers make most money off games, microsoft sits in pots of gold.
    also people spend loads of money on gold subs, arcade games, DLC, accesories, and so on…
    Microsoft only cares about Kinect this year, as would Sony if Move was anywhere near as successfull, but nobody cares about Move so Sony lets it die a slow death.

49. Xenoliath

Don’t get me started on the PS Move.

50. Gekidami

Its not very hard for 360 exclusives to apparently sell well when there really arent that many. The likes of Halo & Gears sell well, but the rest is questionable to say the least.

It easy to say “Nothing on PS3 outsold Halo 3, therefore all 360 exclusives sell better then PS3 ones” but your statement is hardly based off facts.

Same goes for multiplat games, how many publishers actually reveal how much is sold by platform? Barely any. You could just go off the NPD figures and UK charts alone, but if you do that with hardware sales the 360 outsells the PS3 each year. However, we know that on a global scale, this isnt true.

Oh, and Sony have released allot more Move games then MS has Kinect since they both released (has any Kinect games come out since the launch batch?), and they have a good few coming up.

Seems facts really arent your thing, eh?

51. Christopher Jack

@48, That’s why Sony them self are making 3 full retail games JUST for Move, MS have 3 Kinect exclusives themselves too.
    Also not every multiplat game sells better on 360, most multiplat games only sell about 10% more on the 360 than the PS3 so that’s not as drastic as you make it seem.

360 exclusives don’t easily outsell PS3 exclusives;
    Halo 3 sold around 8 mil, Gears 1 & 2 sold around 5 mil each, Fable 2 & Halo: Reach & ODST sold around 3.5 mil.
    Gran Turismo 5 has so far sold around 6.5 mil, the prologue a little over 5 mil, Uncharted 2 is close to 4 mil, Motorstorm, LBP, MGS all around 3 mil, inFamous, KZ2, Resistance FoM & Uncharted Drake’s Fortune all sold above 2 mil.

Just to clarify, I’m not arguing because I’m a Sony fan but because I like to debate with people.

52. bluffbluff03

That´s ridiculous. Playstation move is a copy of the “babysitting tools”. And the PSN is nothing but rubbish in conrtast to the xbox Live marketplace even if one need to pay for it. What I want to say is: the PS3 is really not perfect. And the PS3 will never have the right to talk about Wii/DS and 360 that way. Please, first solve your own problems (for example the deformed PS3 controller). The hardware is good and there are many good games. but such comments make the PS3 a bid “unpleasant”!

53. Syrok

“Playstation move is a copy of the “babysitting tools”

He wasn’t talking about the Wii or Playtstation move then. The babysitting remark is in reference to the Nintendo DS and what not.

54. Christopher Jack

Deformed PS3 controller? That’s ridiculous! It’s not entirely ergonomic but it’s still good, hope they change the form factor to something more round, increase the analog sticks quality & finally fix the triggers with the DS4. Other than the above mentioned problems, it’s the perfect controller with the famous layout, some prefer the D-pad & left stick switched, I personally do not.

55. kennaah

motorstorm: 3,56 mil
    killzone 3: 1,28 mil
    killzone 2: 2,61 mil
    lbp: 4,33 mil
    Resistance FOM: 3,75 mil

source: vgchartz

PS3: 1 game that you mention +6mil sales, Xbox360: 4 games that you mention +6mil sales
    if you like to debate with people, you better look up the correct numbers instead of saying some random number

56. Suikoden Fan

@52 theres nothing wrong with the controller

57. Christopher Jack

@55, You’re ignorant for using vgchartz numbers, they’re never right.
    Response to Greenberg about Kinect sales:
    “Every piece of data we report is an estimate. It will always be higher or lower than the actual figure and there will always be some for which the figure is favourable and some for which the figure is not. Whenever we release a piece of data that isn’t favourable for some reason, the easiest thing to do is to simply discredit the data”

58. YoungZer0

@55: So people prefer to buy trash, big deal.

59. bluffbluff03

Yeah, deformed sounds a bid too hard. But I think the 360-Controller is much more comfortable.

60. Erthazus

@kennaah, never use Vgchartz.
    Believing vgchartz is like believing your own toilet.

their numbers are circumstational.

61. lexph3re

I find the 360 controller to only be comfortable with fps’s. Because the dpad is below the analog stick moving your thumb down is a lot easier for quick selects. But, other then that its a terrible controller to me for fighting games and action games

62. DaMan

last time I’ve used the d-pad myself was in 2001, after some extensive use have to say analogs, triggers and the form of the gamepad make 360 one far superior all around. triggers make for better racing and shooting, analogs are properly placed and have a better feel to them, besides the whole thing is far more comfy to hold.

63. Lounds

@55 who gives a shit seriously

64. uwi121

No one is too old for that…he’s just pissed cause ps3 is hitting hard..and the sales is going DOWN! NOOB!