Latest Brink gameplay trailer is ready and able – get it now

Tuesday, 5th April 2011 15:32 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Bethesda’s just put out the latest Brink gameplay movie, showing various character abilities. Get it after the break.

The new clip for the Splash Damage shooter shows more off more customisation options, shooting, action set-pieces, SMART, hacking, self-healing yourself and more.

Properly knockout.

Brink releases on May 17 in the US and May 20 in the UK for PS3, 360 and PC

1. Bloodyghost

People everywhere are waiting for May 17th because of LA Noire.

I get that, but they should also be anticipating this game right here.

This game is full of win and I can not wait to try it, anyone at PAX play it here to tell me if it was really as good as it looks?

Hopefully a Brink 2, if they make one, will run on the id Tech 5 engine, that would be insane.

Also Splash, I beg you to keep the customization going after launch with FREE updates on your gear.

2. DSB

I don’t have that impression at all BloodyGhost.

LA Noire kinda got the vaporware stink, and while there’s certainly still reason to be excited, people around me seem to have pretty low expectations at this point.

The serious shooter fanatics are all about Brink. It’s got no goofy military guys being serious, it’s got no post-apocalyptic deserts, it’s got no zombies, and it’s not being desperate in satyrising anything else. It looks like it may be the best tuned multiplayer shooter around, and a lot of people are gonna want that.

I doubt Bethesda are going to let them give anything away, though. I’m thinking the preorder offers are going to be sold off later.

3. AHA-Lambda

well personally i want both brink and la noire but la noire comes first…sorry brink =/

4. Gekidami

Looks good, but i wouldnt mind seeing more on the SP.

5. DSB

The MP is the SP Gekidami.

I don’t know how the “campaign” feel is going to work, in terms of stringing objectives together in a story, but the SP will very likely be bots playing instead of people, with optional drop-in multiplayer.

I would say stay away if you want a singleplayer experience. Splash Damage never gave that any real priority.

PS. Apart from the fairly poor explosions, and the silly inclusion of resurrection mechanics, this looks so fucking good!

6. Blerk

The single-player is just the multiplayer with bots replacing the ‘other people’, isn’t it? I seem to recall someone saying previously that there was no distinction between the two – you start the game and it fills up the roster with either humans or bots depending on what’s available, switching them back and forth as people join/leave.

Edit: Heh heh – shouldn’t have stopped to drink tea mid-paragraph. :-D

7. Gekidami

Yeah, i had the feeling it was going to be something like that. Well, it’ll need to be jam-packed with content to be worth full price in that case. I’m not going to get what is pretty much an MP-only game with a low number of maps.

8. DrDamn

So what is it Brink brings which is new then? Apart from the nice more colourful art style. Looks very Team Fortress 2 to me.

9. OrbitMonkey

^ oh I was hoping for a decent little narrative, flesh out the bones of the world & the characters in It :(

10. DSB

Probably best to wait until release in that case Geki. It certainly has a lot of customization, but I don’t know how many guns and other gameplay-relevant things it packs.

I just think the gameplay looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

@8 It’s got nothing to do with Team Fortress 2. Splash Damage have a fairly direct lineage going back to Enemy Territory, into Quake Wars, and over into Brink.

Since Quake Wars the name of the game has been objective based gameplay. So instead of just pointing and shooting at everyone on the map, or crowding a flag, or any other tired game mode, you’re actually supposed to accomplish specific objectives while you play. Whether that’s escorting a certain piece of equipment (like a mobile launch missile launcher in the case of Quake Wars), blowing up a wall to get inside a building where you need to destroy something, and so on. It made it vastly more exciting to play in Quake Wars.

It’s supposed to also add random objectives as you play. Aside from that you can vault and jump over pretty much anything by holding down a button, which means you’ll probably have to be a lot more dynamic than simply “pick a perch and stay there” like you would in a lot of other shooters.

Lastly, it seems to go completely insane with customization on a level that no other multiplayer game can really compete with, including Team Fortress 2 I’d say.

And the art style is fucking great.

11. Aimless

@9 Each level is bookended by voiced cutscenes that incorporate your created characters. From what I’ve seen these at the very least flesh out the world, although naturally I can’t comment on how the overall narrative experience plays out.

I suppose one way to look at the structure of the game is as a modern day TimeSplitters.

12. Bloodyghost

The Single Player has other missions, or famed missions I think its called, that kind of string everything together. The single player also is pretty much only the main objective instead of the smaller ones seen in the Multiplayer. The Single Player also has two campaigns and there own cutscenes and scenarios.

The Multiplayer is pretty much the maps with two facts, resistance and security.

Those are the differences.

13. Dannybuoy

I’m a little underwhelmed by this to be honest. Maybe just not my bag

14. NeoSquall

Fucktastic.

May might be the biggest purchasing month for me: The Witcher 2 C.E., L.A. Noire and Brink Special Edition from GAME.

15. Magicpocket

SMART button – allows players to move smoothly across terrain
    Customisation options more like an MMO than an FPS
    Two sides fighting through the same story from different POV
    8v8, co-op, single player, multiplayer is all the same. Whichever way you play it you’ll be developing the same character and can tweak the set up to the way you want.

16. DrDamn

@10 & @15
    Ok thanks. Sounds interesting – though none of that sounds particularly new in isolation. Depends how it all fits together. If the overall experience is new then that’s good.

17. freedoms_stain

I think the concept looks cool, but I do somewhat question its longevity. They better have a good load of scenarios to play through or people will get bored methinks.

18. xino

i wonder how many disc 360 will have with all that custom contents.

19. Magicpocket

@16 these lot seemed to think it worked pretty well :)

20. Bloodyghost

@18 Trolling much? I have to say your English language is pretty great too.

21. KrazyKraut

reminds me of Bioshock 2 MP which was full of fun.

22. Maximum Payne

Ok first i see now why is this no PC exclusive because just like they said the game would not sold very good.But i think game maybe is not going to sell very well even it is on console.At least homefront have some campaign and i think marketing for this game is just poor.Not to mention graphic are medicore and running animation and gun swinging while running is looking stupid.Maybe game would be solid but average graphic,Almost MP only and 60$ i don’t know…

23. ShiroGamer

is it just me or every new video they release is lowe in framre-rate than the one before it ?

24. LOLshock94

anyone know what the SMART button is? i heard u have to hold the button while u running and moving the left and right stick?

if the button is LB or L1 then the game will suck!

25. DSB

@DrDamn Yeah, if you reduce it enough, then every other game is “just another FPS”, but having played the Splash Damage games, I can say that it’s very much not the case.

I’m pretty bad with buying every FPS under the sun, and I feel that in every other shooter that follows the same pattern of gamemodes, capture the flag, deathmatch and king of the hill (or domination, if you will), you’re fully focused on the core mechanics. Who cares if you’re in Vietnam or Stockholm, when you’re only looking at controlling recoil and finding a good spot to kill the other guys? There’s no real immersion in what you’re doing, it’s just run, gun, stay here, go there.

Splash Damage have always been working to change that.

In a game like Quake Wars you actually find yourself actively covering a team mate with your light machinegun while he blows a wall to let the team get into a building to blow up some important objective. It’s not a redefinition of the genre, but it’s very much an entirely different ballgame compared to the standard multiplayer FPS.

If you’re not a multiplayer FPS kind of guy, then this is a surefire disappointment, though. I don’t think it’ll convert anyone, but I predict it’ll thrill an addict like myself.

26. freedoms_stain

@24, from what I’ve heard the smart button will cause your character to jump, climb or slide over/under obstacles simply by looking up or down at said obstacles, although supposedly you can get the same effect by using the standard jump and crouch buttons if you want. I think it’s likely to be a shoulder button. I don’t see much issue with that.

27. Gigabomber

If only the Red Faction and Saints row team knew how to keep the trailer drip coming like this