Tretton: Japan earthquake may delay NGP in some regions

Monday, 4th April 2011 23:44 GMT By John Callaham

The massive earthquake that hit Japan a few weeks ago could result in shipment delays of electronics products made in that country. One of them may well be Sony’s next Playstation Portable console, codenamed NGP, according to Jack Tretton.

Chatting with Bloomberg, the Sony Computer Entertainment of America president said that the NGP may only debut in one region before the end of the year, but declined to state where that might be.

Tretton said the recent Japanese disaster has caused production problems and has caused Sony to consider this latest move.

A delay in other parts of the world for the NGP could cause Sony to lose market share in the portable gaming market. Wedbush Securities analyst Edward Woo commented that “As it is now, it’s already going to be almost eight months behind Nintendo, and a delay could push that to a year and delivery when the iPad 3 may be coming out.”

Thanks, Gamasutra.

1. Erthazus

Gosh, i hope this thing will not bomb for the sake of the industry.

I really hope or it is the end with Sony’s handheld devices.

2. AHA-Lambda

wow they’re already talking about an ipad 3? -_-

3. Lightmanone

Oh come on Sony, you’ve gotta be kidding me. Using the earthquake as an excuse to prospone a product you were already gonna delay? Come on, that’s just low.

Not wanna buy this device anyway, the games that are coming out on it are not my style, unless you finally decide to release more J-RPG’s on it. Bur seriously Sony.. that’s even low for you to use that excuse :(

4. Gskyace

@3 JRPG? Go and get yourself a PSP.

Can Sony boost production when 8 factories in JP stop working?
    Can you running with one of your organ lost?

“A delay in other parts of the world” means that they still get it.

You can blame 3DS sales of Japan for earthquake in JP,that’s the same.

5. Aimless

They aren’t announcing a delay anyway.

So far the closest thing we’ve heard to a release date is that the machine will launch in at least one territory this year. All Tretton’s saying is that it’s now more likely we won’t see a worldwide launch in 2011, a scenario which has always been on the cards.

6. lexph3re

I can run without a kidney :-P lol

7. Lightmanone

@ #6 (and #4) indeed. I can run around without a kidney. On even a pancreas. I just have to make sure that I do something about it. Just as Sony can. You really think they only make those things in Japan? Come on. They make them in other parts of the world as well. Like I said: It’s just an excuse.

And yes, I own a PSP. And J-RPG in the EU? Import?? Can’t do, Sony doesn’t let companies. (like playasia) I don’t hate Sony, don’t get me wrong. But some of the things they do, they are making me hate them yes.

8. Robbins

If they start producing them in China now they could have millions ready for November, nut up Sony and give me my NGP