Activision announces Spiderman: Edge of Time

Thursday, 31st March 2011 13:57 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Activision’s just announced Spiderman: Edge of Time for a fall release.

Beenox, who made last year’s Shattered Dimensions, are doing dev duties. No platforms are mentioned in the press release, but PC, 360, PS3, Wii and DS versions were all released for SM. Don’t be too shocked to see them.

The storyline sees the Amazing Spiderman and Spiderman 2099 coming together as you try to “correct a timestream gone awry and prevent a catastrophic future brought on by the early and untimely death of Peter Parker.”

Spiderman 2099 writer and co-creator Peter David is penning the story.

“The first Spider-Man entry by Beenox, Spider-Man™: Shattered Dimensions, was touted as one of the wall-crawler’s best Spider-Man games to date from both critics and fans,” said global brand management director, Vicharin Vadakan.

“Beenox is once again taking a fresh and different approach to bring a fast-paced and high-octane adventure and unexpected story to life in Spider-Man: Edge of Time.”

Beenox studio boss Dee Brown added: “At Beenox, we are constantly listening to the fans and looking for new and creative ways to innovate the gameplay experience for them.

“We want to create a totally distinct experience in Spider-Man: Edge of Time by working with Peter David on the story and creating this urgent, high-stakes experience where time is working against you and the fate of Spider-Man hangs in the balance.”

The game will make its first appearance at Wondercon 2011 in San Francisco this weekend

1. M. K.

Well… SD was not bad at all, but also it wasn’t good :D I’ll take a look on it, if it’s open world (again)

2. The_Red

A 77 Gamerankings average is not really something to be proud of. Of course that’s not a bad score and the game wasn’t horrible but it wasn’t much better than average licensed video game.
    Plus after Arkham Asylum, comic book game standards have more than doubled and Shattered Dimensions was no where near that level of quality.

3. orakaa

For me, A spiderman game ought to be in an open world… there’s nothing more frustrating to control Spiderman and be constantly limited with invisible walls and corridor-type levels…

That’d be like having an Iron Man game without the possibility to fly…

4. M. K.

^ Yeah, I don’t mind linear games, but the limitations in SD where just wrong :(

@2: lol, you’re not seriously comparing Spider Man to Batman are you? The success of Arkham Asylum doesn’t affect the Spider Man franchise in any way, they’re too different imo.

5. viralshag

@ orakaa, Totally agree. Big city, tall buildings, web slinging and lots of opportunities to do some crazy athletic-Spiderman-like moves in the air; that’s pretty much the best points of a Spiderman game for me.

Was it Spiderman 2 that pretty much nailed this? I can’t remember exactly which one it was but there was definitely one that I could spend a good amount of time just swinging about because it was so much fun.

6. viralshag

@ M.K., I don’t think he is directly comparing them but trying to say the Batman:AA really raised the bar for comic-based video games. And I would kind of agree with that.

As a game, Batman:AA has put pretty much every other comic/comic-movie game to shame.

7. M. K.

@5: Must be 2 or 3. I loved the first 3 spider man games :)

8. Wesker

@2:
    Oh, I miss the old days where a 77 average rating was still good and not “omfg horrible game no 90 luuulz” -.-

9. YoungZer0

Give me two cities to explore and i’m in. Otherwise: GTFO.

@8: I feel ya.

10. xino

2099 is freaking Badass!

i simply can’t wait for this damn game!:)

11. spiderLAW

Cant wait!!! Bring on as much Spider-Man as possible….actually, i need to go back and get the platinum for SD before this comes out.

12. YoungZer0

@11: Be aware, SD was not a very good game.

I just wish they would give Radical Entertainment the rights to do a Spider-Man Game. They could even re-use the New York from Prototype.

13. onlineatron

Shattered Dimensions was unjustly praised.

Most critics wanted it to be good so scored it higher (like Transformers War on Cybertron).

In reality it was a linear, repetitive mess, with bad voice acting and fiddly controls.

14. spiderLAW

Ive beaten it a few times. I enjoyed it well enough actually. Wasnt great but it had its moments.
    I would love to see radical or a dev like Sucker Punch tackle a spiderman game.

What are you talking about? Transformers War for Cybertron was great fun. Its actually that game that is making me interested in the next movie based game since it will be made in the same style as War for Cybertron.
    Also, the voice acting was far from bad in Shattered Dimensions. Actually, that was the best part of the game.

15. YoungZer0

@13: The voiceacting was okay. The writing on the other hand …

@14: Not only the same style, but next Transformers Game will be developed by the High Moon Studios.

16. StolenGlory

While it’ll likely be fairly solid, they should ideally stop fucking about and just give the next instalment to Rocksteady to develop.

17. spiderLAW

Really, i wanna see a more capable spiderman.
    In Web of shadows they started getting his abilities right (they should have gone without the orange flash around him when he would hit fast speeds)
    But they definitely captured his speed, his agility and somewhat his strength (he’s strong enough to lift, fairly easily, a car outside of the symbiote too) very well. I would just adjust his movement a little more, make it more flexible and make him able to obscure his body into more shapes and fit around corners. Make him interact with his environment. you know, like squeeze through tight spaces while swinging at high speed. Also lets see some outstanding battles. Lets see a battle with Venom have you smashing through walls and hits sending each other launching across the map (30ft or so).
    Really they need to utilize all his powers.
    Super Strength
    Super Speed (run at 72mph, jump and do acrobatics at super human speeds)
    Super Agility
    Super Flexibility
    Flawless Precision (in acrobatics, aiming, etc.)
    Resistance to Injury
    Spider-Sense
    Wall Crawling (not just on all fours. Running and everything)
    Webbing (his webbing is super strong as well. Look at the Spiderman vs Juggernaut comic. Juggernaut couldn’t rip his webbing but instead ripped the walls off that the webbings were attached to.)

I know Spidermans abilities always depend on the writer in the comics, but more so than not, spiderman has shown to be incredibly powerful

18. M. K.

Wait a minute. The only thing, that was really great about SD was the voice acting. Best part of the game was hunting Deadpool on his “tv-show” I had a lot of fun while listening to spideys “bad” jokes :D

Things like:

Ultimate Deadpool: Listen Webby, I can’t have you swinging around in your footy pajamas, destroying my cameras. You’re going to have to tangle with my ARMY!And by Army I mean Production Assistants, and by Production Assistants I mean unpaid interns, and by unpaid interns I mean fans. You’re going to have to tangle with my FANS!

Ultimate Spider Man: Lamest. Supervillain. Ever.

or

Electro: I’ve become a being of pure energy

S M: With no pants

Made me LOL! :D

19. spiderLAW

Agreed
    But i still had some other great moments, especially when unlocking each individual super special.

20. M. K.

Well the problem with unlocking stuff was, that I played through the game, without even earning enough points to unlock most of them. And when I played through it for the first time, I didn’t care anymore :D Maybe I’ll take it for another run to pick up some achievements, well maybe :/

21. spiderLAW

you should. taking a long break from it and then going back with skills unlocked makes it much more fun. Crank the difficulty up and its even better.