Mortal Kombat Kratos gameplay trailer has lots of gore, QTEs

Wednesday, 23rd March 2011 17:20 GMT By Alex Donaldson

PS3 has quite a little exclusive in getting Kratos into the imminent Mortal Kombat reboot, and this latest trailer has the proof, showing Mr Grumpy hacking, slashing and stabbing his way into your heart.

The trailer, posted over on Gamespot, shows a ton of in-game footage of Kratos, revealing him using signature moves from the God of War series and, in true God of War style, some brutal QTEs. See for yourself below.

The game’s out on April 21 for PS3 and 360.

1. theevilaires

I’ll take SONY’s Spartan over M$’s any day of the week. You can’t deny Kratos he is an unforgettable game character just as Solid Snake or Mario. I would have loved if they could have included Spawn in the game as well. Soul Calibar 2 for XBOX didn’t do him justice.

Anyone have any dream DLC characters they would love to see?
    WAR from Darksiders wouldn’t be a bad choice would it?

2. Bond James Bond

theevilaires sucking Sony’s dick again. No surprises there then…

3. spiderLAW

would have been cool to have seen Marcos Fenix or Master Chief in the xbox version.

4. LOLshock94

i love the way when you kratos grabbs sum1 it turns into a quick time avent

5. Gekidami

Thats awesome, he actually has the same attacks as he does from the GoW games.

6. Ireland Michael

@2 As much as I hate Kratos as a character (RAWRANGERRAGE
    POINTLESSSWEARINGANDVIOLENCERAWWWRRGGHHH!), there’s no denying that aesthetically speaking he does fit in rather well with the Mortal Kombat franchise.

@1 Ezio sans hood would be pretty awesome. I think those hidden blades could make for some rather awesome fatalities.

I think the likes of Marcus or Master Chief would look rather out of place in Mortal Kombat. Marcus in his Gears 3 outfit might be able to pull it up – those lancers were born to be fatality moves – but Master Chief? God no!

7. theevilaires

there are Striker and Sector and Cyrax in the game already Spider ;) please be more original.

How about Radec from KZ2?

Edit: Ezio would make for a great fantasy DLC character.

Vamp or Raiden too.

8. mojo

Dante (DMC) or cole from infamous maybe.

9. Ireland Michael

@8 Dante is way too much of a girlie boy to fit in with Mortal Kombat.

10. spiderLAW

As if MK is creative as it is? lol
    This is MK we are talking about. MK, where a Drunken fatty can be the worlds greatest and most feared fighter. Where acyborgs have a place with demons and monsters. Where men look like terminators.
    Nothing about MK was ever meant to be taken seriously.

Marcus would fit perfect, just like Jax and Cyrax do. Master Chief might not fit as well though but i can see ways of making him work.

Radec, nah, id pass.
    Vamp is great, but again, id pass. Raiden would be great.

11. Gekidami

Unless its a character whose already up to his elbows in gore, theres no chance they’ll appear in MK. Companies dont want to ruin a ‘clean’ or ‘tame’ characters image.

12. Bikki

@6 Pointless swearing? Have you even played any of the God of War games? And Kratos is easily the coolest dude in the whole gaming history ever.

13. Gekidami

^ Indeed, i think the worst Kratos says is “Ass” in the third game. Haters gonna makeup stuff, and hate though.

14. spiderLAW

Vexx? :)
    Solid Snake
    Alma (F.E.A.R.) lol

Not Cole, we already have Raden (im acting like TEA, lol).

Spawn
    The Pitt (image comics. Pitt vs Goro is Win!!)

15. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Goro in this one? If not, he should be.

16. Gekidami

^ He is, no idea if he’s playable though.

17. spiderLAW

Ryu Hyabusa (hes already in Dead or Alive)

18. theevilaires

I don’t know O’Connor DMC3 Dante would be cool :D I would buy that DLC.

Dammit Gek why do you have to kill our wet dreams! :P

19. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Goro and Motaro would be cool!

And to answer TEA’s original question, how bout a Berserker from Gears as an exclusive character for 360?

20. Ireland Michael

@12 I own the first two on the PS2, and the second one for the PSP.

I think the character is juvenile and pretentious. Yeah sure, he had the whole tragedy thing going on in the first game, and the gameplay was impressive then. But that was then, and this is now. Countless contenders have since beaten Kratos at his own game, countless times over.

21. mojo

^not even remotely

22. theevilaires

“Countless contenders have since beaten Kratos at his own game, countless times over”.

Ummmm who are these contenders you speak off? Kratos is probably the baddest video game character ever created.

23. The_Red

I really REALLY hope that the rest of fatality shown here is the famous head rip just what was done to poor Hellious. That would become one of the sickest and best fatalities of the new MK along with Noob Saibot’s “split” fatality.

24. theevilaires

That would be a great fatality even though we’ve seen it in another game before. BOON are you fucking reading this and not scratching your ass like an ape?! Put that fatality in the game.

25. Gekidami

The head rip would look abit lame seeing as in this game other characters pull of heads (and other limbs) like they’re attached with blue-tack.
    Seeing Kratos struggle to slowly do what Mileena can do in one quick gesture would make the demi-god that he is look abit weak.

But you never know, the rest of what he does is stuff taken from the games.

26. The_Red

@25 Actually, other MK characters don’t rip heads with bare hands as far as I remember. Even Cage uses an uppercut.

Also, please add Ryu as the 360′s character. Seriously, he is violent, he is a Ninja and he has been in 360 exclusive games.

27. theevilaires

If you guys ever wanted to know what a female version of Gek looked like here she is :D

Crysis: WOW that looks cool I can’t wait until I play this game!

Gek: Yea it does look cool right….too bad its banned in Australia

Crysis: :(

28. Gekidami

Mileena just pulls heads straight off effortlessly:

29. Ireland Michael

@22 I could care less how “badass” a character is. He’s just a giant excuse for violence and gore. I stopped finding that entertaining when I was about… oh, 12 or so.

I’m talking about pure gameplay. Kratos undeniably helped champion the success of spectacle fighters back when they were coming into their own, during the early days of the PS2.

The problem is that he’s stuck there. He slides around the scenery awkwardly during combat, detaching you from the sense of being involved in the world of the game’s setting, while the fighting mechanics themselves lack any sort of real depth.

After playing the likes of DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Heavenly Sword, Bayonetta and, yes, Dante’s Inferno (its “inspiration” is transparent, but it still has great combat mechanics) God of War 3 was a step back for me – its a spectacle fighter heavy on spectacle and light on fighting.

I don’t care how great a game looks or how epic it tries to be if my “God of War” controls like an amnesiac roller skater permanently gliding on ice. I never felt like I was in control of Kratos. I felt like he was trying to wrestle control from me all the time. I don’t find that fun.

This is what Uncharted 2 got right but God of War got way wrong. I always felt like I was genuinely in control of Nathan Drake, even in the most epic moments of the game. Kratos never allowed me to feel that.

When Sony get it right, they *really* get it right – Uncharted 2, LittleBigPlanet, Motorstorm, The Last Guardian. But man, when they get it wront, boy do they get it wrong – God of War 3, Resistance, MAG, Warhawk.

Mind you, at least the PS3 has a mix of both good and bad. For the past few years, the 360′s excuses for exclusives has been a universally crap list of uninspired tripe, one or two games notwithstanding.

30. The_Red

That’s not a head rip! She only takes upper skull parts. The thong and the rest of the chin remain intact. Kratos rips the whole head from the neck. Plus, the skin ripping effect of GOW3 is awesome enough nothing else will matter when its done :)

31. YoungZer0

@29: I never complain about the combat, too be honest i saw no problem with it. It’s still a good game for me.

One thing that bothered me though was the whole direction the series took. I know it’s an amazing power fantasy, killing all gods, but in the end, Kratos is absolutely shallow. Well, not really shallow, but besides rage, there isn’t much there.

I really liked and could even understand some of his actions in the first one. But boy did i hate him in the second and third.

It’s ironic really. He became exactly what he hated. Not only the God of War, but also an even more brutal one. I never played the PSP Titles, but heard they are much better story-wise.

Anyway, this video sums it up nicely: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/1946-No-Redeeming-Value

32. xxJPRACERxx

@29 I think the control in GoW 3 is much, much better than in Uncharted 2. One of the biggest fault of Uncharted 2 for me is the terrible control.