Analysts: Nearly 1m US iPad 2s sold in opening weekend

Tuesday, 15th March 2011 10:12 GMT By Johnny Cullen

According to estimations by analysts, via Reuters, Apple sold nearly 1 million second-generation iPads in its opening weekend in the US.

iPad 2

Announced at an event in San Francisco during GDC.

Launched in the US on March 11.

Will release on March 25 in the UK, Europe and other countries, the same day Nintendo drops 3DS in the UK and Europe.

Features two cameras, comes in white and is thinner than iPhone 4.

“We would not be surprised to see Apple sell closer to 1 million iPad 2′s in the opening weekend,” said Wedbush’s Scott Sutherland in a note.

“Our field checks over the weekend indicate that the iPad 2 sold out at every Apple and non-Apple store we contacted,” added Ticonderoga Securities’ Brian White.

“In fact, all the stores had worked through iPad 2 inventory by Saturday afternoon, and there were no new iPad 2 deliveries on Sunday.”

The device launched last Friday in the US following an event in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago, just across the road and at the same time as Nintendo president Satoru Iwata’s GDC keynote. It will go up against the launch of 3DS in the UK and Europe on March 25.

1. Blerk

990,000 of which went to people who already had an iPad 1. :-)

2. Zurtech

@Blerk

Aye, give it 8 months and they’ll be going to buy an iPad 3. -_^

3. roni1175

Having an old iPad I really love this product, I think its a great product for reading and consuming any type of media (its less comfortable edit or create).

I believe I will skip this Gen and wait for the next one

4. Crysis

This maybe just my opinion, but I feel Android is a ‘smarter’ operating system than iOS, more customization, more freedom & more options, but I still think iOS is more intuitive, but I’ll still choose Android over iOS any day, haven’t used 2.3 but from what I’ve seen, it could very well take the crown away from iOS… *Waiting for angry & pretensions Apple fanboy response*
    If I ever had a single thought of buying a tablet, I’d pick neither Android or iOS, i’d pick a proper PC tablet using real Windows or proper Linux, if I’m going to spend $500+ for a computer, I want it to run more than just apps, I’d like it to run actual programs, I see PC tablets eventually replacing notebooks, but right now the technology isn’t quite there (well it is but it isn’t affordable) & the touch screen interface needs massive improvements… I could always use dual boot for android.

5. Lounds

I’ll stick to my ipod touch 4th gen

6. lonndubh

There have been tablets running windows available for years, and they just weren’t attractive to consumers. When the ipad came out, I was surprised by the idea of a low-powered small tablet running a modified smartphone OS, but it seems that this is exactly what people wanted.

I’m not at all interested in a tablet myself, but I see no future for tablets running desktop OSs. Windows is made for use with a mouse and keyboard, I don’t know why anyone would choose a windows tablet over a windows laptop.

7. Syrok

“but I still think iOS is more intuitive, ”

I think that’s the most important thing for most people. :)

8. Crysis

@6, Eventually, you could treat it as a hub with a monitor & KB+M setup @ home & if you need to, full programs on the go. This should be the next generation notebook, but we’ll need better batteries, smaller chip sets & stronger processors & most importantly, a more intuitive touch interface, but that won’t be for several years but the potential is certainly there.
    I’d personally rather downgraded PC OSs rather than upgraded Smartphone OSs, I think that the iPad should have used Mac rather than iOS or maybe a dual boot start up.

9. Ireland Michael

@6 People bought it because it had Apple on the front, and they don’t know any better.

10. Crysis

@9, In all fairness, coming from somebody who dislikes Apple, the iPad 2 has a good price when compared to it’s competitors, but give it a few months for the new Tegra processors to come out, then the iPad 2 will lose it’s crown, although if you look around, you could probably find PC tablets with more power.

11. V_fyfe_V

Yeah I was gonna get this but then saw the Motorola xoom and its getting some rather good reviews