Blizzard: Titan to be “next big thing from us” after Diablo III

Wednesday, 9th March 2011 08:13 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Blizzard COO Paul Sams had said the company’s next-gen MMO, codenamed Titan, will be its “next big thing” following the release of Diablo III.

Titan

Blizzard’s next-gen MMO.

Titan confirmed to be codename by Blizzard’s Frank Pearce.

Is intended not to replace World of Warcraft, but co-exist with it.

Reveal not due until 2012 at least.

Speaking to Gama, Sams said its the game was stretching Blizzard further than any previous project.

“I believe [it's] the most ambitious thing we’ve ever attempted,” he said to the site. “And I feel like we have set our company up to succeed on that. We have some of our most talented and most experienced developers on that team. Many of the people that built World of Warcraft are full time on that other team.”

Sams insisted that even though key members are now moving over to Titan, World of Warcraft is still very much on Blizzard’s radar.

“We’ve spent a lot of time over the last number of years transitioning those people off [of World of Warcraft], and having great people below them that were trained up by them to run World of Warcraft. Those people have been doing it for the last couple of years without the assistance of those people that created it.”

Sams added: “I see World of Warcraft as having many more years in front of it. We have over 12 million subscribers. We’re continuing to grow and we feel very good about them. We’re going to continue to support that product for many, many years to come.

“As it relates to that other [MMO], we think that it’s going to be very impactful in our industry and, we hope, very impactful to the world. We think that that will be, after Diablo III, the next big thing from us. The thing that we hope will happen is that it will not stop World of Warcraft but we believe will eclipse it.”

Blizzard has yet to date Diablo III, although Activision has said it doesn’t forecast any 2011 games from the company, despite Blizzard previously saying it’s pushing for a 2011 launch.

Two Blizzard titles are expected to hit in 2012, most likely to be Diablo III and the next part in the StarCraft II trilogy, Heart of the Swarm.

1. HauntaVirus

Looks like Diablo III in 2012 and “Titan” in 2013.

2. typeface

@1. Not really. What they technically mean is it’s the biggest launch post Diablo 3. They’re still working on the SC2 expansions, WoW’s last two expansions and of course the D3 expansions. We’ll definitely see the first two sets of expansions before Titan. Their projection was for Titan project was for 2015 so it’s unlikely to see the light of day before that. I’ve seen some early concept sketches for it back in 2007 though (if it is indeed the same project). All I can say is that it looked interesting and different from what they normally do.

3. Isuru86

Fuck this Shit, I want Warcraft 4 RTS !

4. StolenGlory

As long as World Of Warcraft is still breathing and healthy, you won’t get a Warcraft 4 RTS, since the developers have repeatedly said that they are using World of Warcraft to tell the Warcraft story.

But yes, like you I would love to see a fourth Warcraft RTS.

5. Erthazus

We will see Warcraft 4 when WOW will be seriously outdated and they will stop supporting it.

Only then. Until then you can dream about it.

6. Isuru86

I dream of your chubby ol momma, Erthazus

7. Rysk

There will be only one more expansion for WoW then SC2 expansion, diablo 3, then Titan. Look in first paragraph of link. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/titan/news.html?sid=6285568&tag=newsfeatures;title

8. DSB

I doubt that Blizzard are going to walk away from WoW while it’s still making more money than God.

And besides, Cataclysm was aeons better than Lich King, and people are rewarding them for it, so I don’t see why they’d even consider quitting while they’re basically owning the scene. If they’re going to quit at level 100 like they said, then that’s still three years of expansions, with no serious competition in sight.

Personally I wouldn’t like to guess on Warcraft 4. Blizzard will make it whenever they feel like it, and there’s no telling whether they’re already looking at an early build, or whether they simply won’t ever make a Warcraft RTS again.

I don’t know Blizzards order of battle, but I’m fairly sure they’re organized so as to keep several teams dedicated to various games. It’s not like they can’t afford it.

2013 sounds like a fair guess for Titan.

9. thols

Blizzard is usually working on at least 2 or three major projects at a time so I think they will go full steam ahead with Titan and still push out expansions for the other games. My money is on early 2014 for release and I bet it will be an historical or post-apocolyptic setting.

There’s a nice collection of Titan info over at http://www.titanwatch.net for anyone who wants to read more about it.