ngmoco head: NGP is “dead on arrival”, 3DS is “gimmicky”

Wednesday, 2nd March 2011 09:10 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ngmoco boss Neil Young has predicted an unceremonious future for NGP, saying the device will be “dead on arrival” when it launches.

“I think PSP is done and the new [NGP] is dead on arrival,” Young told IG in an interview at GDC.

“It’s really difficult to compete with an app store that has hundreds of thousands of applications and a wide range of options where the average price paid is around $1.20 and there are tens, if not hundreds of thousands of free applications that are really high quality.

“So I just don’t think Sony’s going to be able to compete with that.”

For 3DS, he did say the device was “gimmicky”, but Nintendo’s “great franchises” would help the console.

“I think Nintendo will likely be competitive. My personal opinion is that the 3D piece of the puzzle is kind of gimmicky,” said Young.

“But Nintendo has great franchises and there are tens of millions of people who want to participate in those franchises, so that always helps… But the real question is the degree to which there’s a third-party community.”

NGP releases this holiday season in Japan at least. 3DS launches in Europe on March 25 and in the US on March 27.

1. Zurtech

… He does realise that ipod isn’t a handheld gaming platform? Sure apps can be fun little time wasters, but I’ve yet to find one that’s more than that. Ports I’ve bought I’ve ended up not playing and the more gamey game apps I’ve given up on. I’m not saying there’s no place for ipod/app stores, but they’ll not compete with proper handheld consoles until they get some proper physical buttons/sticks.

Not to mention Dev costs will mean that larger scale games will start to cost more and more, and prolly end up on par with current handheld game prces. So there goes the whole $1.20 price tag.
    Imo, it’d also end up with the same problems PSPGo has, people don’t like spending high prices on handheld games with no option of trading them in at a later date.

2. Joe Anderson

Neil Young? isn’t he a singer?

3. Ge0force

Sure, why would anyone play Uncharted or God of War on NGP when there’s Angry Birds…

4. Joe Anderson

@3 Neil Young should stick to what he does badly.

5. Schindet Nemo

Is that guy an alter ego of Michael Pachter?

6. 2plus2equals5

Never heard of minis? :|
    And why iphone apps can damage ngp but not 3ds? :|
    Paid troll.

7. Erthazus

I’m sorry for my language, but…

Goe Fuck yourself Mr Young

8. Goffee

And what is this ngmoco you speak of? Must be a really big brand in dish washing tablets or something?

9. Blerk

@8, You possibly won’t be entirely surprised to learn that ngmoco is a purveyor of “fine quality games for iOS and Android devices”. :-)

10. Blerk

11. Joe Anderson

@9 so its not a Neil Young tribute band then?

12. Blerk

Only at the weekend.

13. HauntaVirus

The lack of physical buttons makes idevice gaming stale. Dual analog sticks, buttons/triggers, and immersive games will help the NGP alot.

14. Dannybuoy

Don’t be a silly sausage Neil. Personally I’ve stopped buying games for my iphone. I play them once or twice then i just regret buying them. Waste of money most of the time. But. I’d rather pay £20-£30 for a game like Uncharted on NGP that I know I’ll play from beginning to end.

15. typeface

*sigh* paid trolling at it’s finest this is the opposite end of the spectrum from Reggie’s comment about app store games.

Thing is he’s probably unhappy that he couldn’t be a developer for it when there are several app store devs already signed on for it. Here’s something amusing they were acquired by DeNA in December and DeNA was raided in December for breach of FTC’s Anti-Monopoly laws for, get this, ‘Forcing developers not to trade with its competitors’.

Anyways here’s a bunch of positive things that some Japanese Devs had to say about the device –> http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/03/02/developer_ngp_commentary/

Honestly it seems like a very closed view, like saying people mostly buy minicars today so there’s no reason for salons to exist at all.

16. Robo_1

Bias opinion is bias.

I’ve got close to a hundred iPod games, some are great, many are junk but I’d trade all of them (and more) for one solid gaming experience like Killzone 3 or Bulletstorm.

The market may not be as big in terms of usage numbers, but I absolutely believe that Sony and Nintendo can carve themselves a profitable slice of the handheld pie, and satisfy the millions of gamers who have kept the industry going for the last 30 years.

I also think his definition of “really high quality” would be laughed off by the vast majority of regular gamers. Case in point was Dead Space for the iPod. Good price so I snapped it up, and minutes after I realised why I buy so few iPod games these days. For all the inventive ways in which developers tackle the issue of controls, there’s no getting around the fact that hiding chunks of the screen with your fingers, as you try to navigate on a flat surface is just unpleasant and cumbersome.

Get supped up versions of those games on NGP for under 15 dollars and everyone wins.

17. Crysis

He fails to acknowledge that most of these $1.20 apps are of low quality & don’t appeal to traditional gamers, what game would you rather play on a 40 minute train ride-something like Angry Birds or Fruit Ninja vs Uncharted or Resistance?
    On a side note Sony mentioned that the NGP will have free apps although that’s all I know, possible Android Market connectivity?

18. BloodyJoe

Sony needs good JRPGs and Tropies for the NGP!

19. OlderGamer

“Anyway, I’m saying nothing. Because I suspect there’s a chance he might actually be right.”

I get the same feeling Blerk.

20. typeface

I think people who predict doom and gloom for any device unless it’s totally unfeasible or probably a stupid idea like the Panasonic Jungle (Linux based MMO console with one dev porting a title doesn’t inspire confidence) are equivalent to the ‘Prophets’ and ‘Messiahs’ who say that the end is near (I loved those units in Empire Earth 1 though).

Saying one thing dies because of another is like saying OMG PC gaming is dead. There’s only going to be casual games this entire generation. It’s a very narrow viewpoint. Just because Fords and VWs sell great in the west and Nissans and Hondas better in Asian markets doesn’t mean Ferrari, Lamborghinis and the like are dead. Just because McDonalds has over 1 Billion (?) served doesn’t mean that you can’t have a gourmet restaurant or something fancier than a fast food joint but not a Michelin Star.

People who think thigs are dead on arrival are people who are extremely narrow in their viewpoint which can be attributed to age, being single platform focussed, just a narrow-minded or shallow person or someone who doesn’t really travel much or see the world.

I think one shouldn’t rule out the fact that Sony partnered with Google on the Android for games and apps and it isn’t unlikely that they’ll partner with them for the same and more on the NGP (since Google want to get into gaming but not into consoles). Google-Sony, Apple, Nintendo and to a lesser extent Nokia-MS are actually going to be the big four in the mobile platform.

All of them have plenty of capital and interest. One thing that happened this generation is that Nintendo finally got competition first from Sony and now from these guys and it’s no longer dominated by them totally and there’s variety.

21. typeface

meh my second paragraph was supposed to be that PC Gaming is dead and that casual games only will exist from this generation on are sweeping generalisations and hyperbole. That fullstop sort of skewed my point -.-

22. fortelv999

this from the guys who ripped off loco-roco? hahaha

i think the ngp has its spot among gamers secured… i dont really see it making a huge splash like a new apple gadget but i for one will get it at launch and many millions will get it eventually…

if someone makes a hit game for iphone or android, sony will just tell them: “hey, why don’t you let us release it for playstation suite devices?”… guess what: ngp IS a playstation suite device…

so, ngp = full AAA protable games + hit smartphone games… win/win

as long as i get fruit ninja and cut the rope i dont need more smartphone games

23. Dr.Ghettoblaster

This guys clearly an ignorant or biased pompous ass

24. Dimacorgan

Alabaaaaama… you got a weight on your shoulders, it’s breaking your baaaaack”
    That’s all I need to hear of any Neil Young around…

25. DeathJynx

He does know that on top of being a portable trophy awarding ps3, any android smart phone or tablet running android 2.3 and the NGP well both have access to android market games and will be able to communicate and play with each other? Someone didnt watch the press release…