Guerrilla announces Steel Rain map pack for Killzone 3

Friday, 25th February 2011 11:15 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sony’s announced an all-new map pack for Killzone 3, known as the “Steel Rain” map pack.

The content features two new maps for the multiplayer of the Guerrilla shooter: Junkyard and Stahl Arms.

Junkyard is a map where “ISA and Helghast Forces are clashing in an attempt to salvage vehicles and supplies for their war effort.”

That’ll support 16 players for the Guerrilla Warfare mode.

Stahl Arms is a 24-player strong map for Warzone, where “beleaguered ISA Forces mount a desperate attack on the notorious Stahl Arms research facility, where they hope to free ISA soldiers who have been taken captive.”

Screens are on the Killzone website. Trailer’s below.

Killzone 3 releases today in the UK for PlayStation 3.

1. Joe Anderson

That looks awesome.

Really loving Killzone 3 online at the moment, its really great.

2. Gekidami

These better be free, only 8 default maps is fucking ridiculous.

3. DrDamn

There is a worrying trend with games that have substantial online components to release or start talking about DLC too early. It put me off the online side of Halo:Reach, KZ3 already has a couple of classic KZ2 levels to download. Why announce this the day the game launches?

I’m quite the supporter of good DLC. I don’t think I have this divine entitlement to everything the devs have already done by the time they release. Early DLC like this and for other titles is nasty tactic though, it splits the community and says buy me or bugger off. I think I’ll do the latter.

You know map packs are coming with these sort of games, but they should used to refresh what has already bedded in and begun to feel a little samey – not split the players before they have had a chance to see what is already there.

4. Aimless

Paid map packs need to die. I know they cost money to make but they split the online base which merely encourages apathy towards a game’s online component. CoD can get away with it for much the same reason WoW thrives despite a subscription: their success has bred success, they’re special cases.

I feel publishers should take a good long look at the free-to-play market, charging for ancillary bonuses and aesthetic differences rather than basic content. Bill someone £10 on release to unlock everything for Killzone 3‘s multiplayer or a couple of quid for different character skins. Hell, let them fork out a menial sum for a time-limited XP boost, I don’t care if it means free maps for all.

5. Erthazus

“only 8 default maps is fucking ridiculous.”

OH MY GOD… It’s fucking ridiculous for Playstation slave.

It’s a standard pack.

6. Johnny Cullen

Added in the trailer.

7. El_MUERkO

community splitting map packs are dumb, even dumber at launch :/

8. ManBearPig

yeah battlefield is the worst for being split up since that Vietnam map pack

9. Dr.Ghettoblaster

@2 + INFINITY

Love the game, impressed by the devs, but FUCK YOU to whomever made THIS decision.

You couldn’t put these 2 fucking maps on the disc that we JUST paid for THIS FUCKING WEEK?!?!

It’s such a slap in the face and fucking in the ass if you ask me and as much as I WANT to play all the KZ3 maps I can, I’m gonna have to wait until this shit goes on sale months down the road (when DLC SHOULD be announced and released).

10. HighWindXIX

It seems as though the developers can never win. Either a map pack is too late and everyone has already moved on and doesn’t care anymore even though they spent months complaining about no new maps or its too soon and we complain that they’re overcharging us for what should be rightfully ours. I feel bad for them.

11. Dr.Ghettoblaster

@10 you feel bad for them? Really?

It’s pretty simple in my mind, but I could be alone.

Don’t announce or release any DLC within 30 days release of the game. CERTAINLY not day 1 or even PRE-RETAIL RELEASE which has been done.

I’d say 30-60 days is the sweet spot for releasing DLC.

Again, my opinion as a paying gamer/consumer.

12. gsxrlove

I can’t say I’m impressed. These games are getting more and more expensive to keep “current” for shorter periods of time. To have only just bought the game days ago and then to hear that it’s about to effectively become “out of date” or “non current” comes across to me like they don’t mind trying to squeeze an extra dollar out of their existing hardcore fanbase.

It’s not like Mp has had a great chance to go stale then they come up with this great “solution” based on how it went stale to refresh the MP experience again. Ahh the good old days of snes and megadrive. Dev’s didn’t get any second chance to patch or add-on back then!

Sure glad I didn’t get the “helghan” edition and then have to read this!
    Hermen Hulst must have a huge fat grin at the moment!