Guerrilla: PS3 not “maxed out” by Killzone 3

Wednesday, 23rd February 2011 05:28 GMT By Nathan Grayson

The PS3′s been around for almost five years. By normal standards, it ought to be a dinosaur on a collision course with the asteroid that is Sony’s Next Big Thing. But these aren’t “normal” circumstances, and the PlayStation 3 – Guerrilla argues – isn’t a normal machine.

“At the end of every project, we say, ‘we’ve maxed it out.’ I made that mistake at the end of Killzone 2,” Guerrilla managing director/co-founder Hermen Hulst told IndustryGamers. “We felt that we’d pushed it absolutely to the max. We now know from experience there’s always more mileage in the tech. You can always find new techniques.”

“For example, in Killzone 2, we introduced anti-aliasing to get rid of the jagged edges. We’re using that, but an improved version that is much more efficient, so we actually leave space for more detail, bigger environments and more polygons. Compared to Killzone 2, Killzone 3’s polygon count is three times as high, so we’ve been able to find new space, probably averaging out to 40 percent.”

In other words, it’s not about raw power anymore (sorry, Iggy). Instead, creativity wins the day, and the results – at least, at this point – show. The question, however, is whether or not that’ll continue to hold true until the PS3′s successor tags in – which, based on what our old friend the entire gaming industry told us, may not happen for another few years.

1. Erthazus

“PlayStation 3 – Guerrilla argues – isn’t a normal machine.”

yeah, it’s something magical with NVIDIA G70 architecture and 512 MB Ram.

I mean how far you can go with it? Well, Guerilla, compared to other FPS games, you really have a LONG road to achieve something better that what you did with KZ2 or 85 metacritic KZ3.

I love corporate bullshit.

2. Gekidami

^ Fanboy bullshit is even worst. You’re the perfect example of that.

3. mojo

u will never learn it erth.

4. Erthazus

@,2 butt hurts again? :D as always. As always Geki.

5. Gekidami

^ lol I’m not the one who feels he has to constantly attack a game. U mad, bro. Seriously mad, and probably jelly too…

6. Hybridpsycho

He’s slightly right tho Geki. You keep sounding more and more like a fanboy.
    Though I agree slightly, it’s sad how the developers are being hold back by console techspec limits.
    Dragon Age 2 is a fine example of that, some lousy ass graphics due to consoles :(

Although, KZ3 isn’t that bad ;) The overall design makes it look really good imo.

7. Hybridpsycho

He’s slightly right tho Erth. You keep sounding more and more like a fanboy.

8. Gekidami

^ Honestly you could have had a case going if you didnt go on to place the blame for DA2′s visuals on one party. You pretty much showed the ‘side’ you’re rooting for, there.

And i’d like to know how i’m sounding like a fanboy. See Erthazus loves to say i said stuff, but what i’d love is for him to quote me saying that stuff. All i’m doing with KZ3 is using my eyes and seeing what the majority is seeing: One, if not thee best looking FPS released on consoles.

Whats Erthazus seeing? Well, he sure as hell isnt looking at the game itself, he’s just looking at the consoles specs. The specs are bad therefore the games MUST look bad, no matter whats actually on the screen.

And that my friend, is fanboyism.

9. monu-mental

Man, I used to love the comments here, but this guy Erthazus stinks. EVERY single PS3 thread he trolls. IT STINKS. Dirty stink. Control that piece…… of… Just control this VG247. Don’t allow you comments to be spoiled by one PS3-hating, website trolling prick. It’s just distasteful now tbh.

10. Gekidami

^ Oh he doesnt hate the PS3. He’s just a Crysis/PC fanboy who feels threatened by KZ3′s visuals in particular.

11. Erthazus

@Gekidami, wrote up to three comments about me, so you are really threatened about that game.

:d Grow up man. Everyone have it’s own opinion. Yeah, now i’m a Crysis fanboy. :D haha

You need to grow up, fast.

@Hybridpsycho, “Dragon Age 2 is a fine example of that, some lousy ass graphics due to consoles ”

It’s RPG. RPG games don’t need graphics at all.

“He’s slightly right tho Erth. You keep sounding more and more like a fanboy.”

Speaking a truth that they are saying bullshit everytime about the TEH power of the PS3?
    I have Playstation 3 and there are much better games with grraphics such as Uncharted 3, Infamous 2m The Last guardian that looks technically and visually impressive.
    Whil this, NOT.

But i didn’t said it’s a bad game.

12. Erthazus

“EVERY single PS3 thread he trolls.”

I’m sorry, you need to change your pants because thats not true at all. Ok? I have PS3 and i enjoy a lot of games. So wrong wrong a-and wrong.

And if you don’t like my comments, just ignore it.

13. Crysis

He just likes to remind people that good looking games on the PS3 don’t match multiplatform games on a PC with high end graphics cards, seems to be much quieter when it comes to 360 exclusives though, maybe he just likes to harass PS3 users rather than admit it looks good considering the limited hardware.

14. Erthazus

@13, wrong much? The Last Guardian, Uncharted 3 or Infamous 2 looks better then a LOT of PC titles.

Not to mention that there is no game out there on PC like Uncharted 2 that uses Multicore processing right. Train level as example. I never saw something like that.

So, i’m sorry. Stop TROLLING for sake.

15. larzarus

I just started playing Killzone 2 again and noticed (what I had nearly forgotten) that there are significant lags everytime the system needs to load something. This is so annoying: I play and every few minutes the system seems to hang, sometimes a part of a second, sometimes a couple of seconds. I wonder, if Guerilla managed to optimize that with Killzone 3, before talking about not having maxed out the system…

16. Bond James Bond

More Sony bullshit, the PS3 is old hat, Sony and it’s developers should stop making out the console is something that it’s not.

The PS3 has a seventh generation NV47 Chip (Nvidia GeForce 7800 Architecture, today’s Nvidia GPU’s are 11th generation) for it’s GPU and has 256 MB of XDR DRAM. It’s hardly anything to shout about.

Today consoles struggle to achieve 720p, nevermind 1080p. For example, on the 360:

Alone in the Dark = 1040×600
    Overlord II = 1280×612
    Prototype = 1120×640
    Saint’s Row 2 = 640p
    Sonic Unleashed = 880×720
    Tomb Raider Legend = 1024×600
    Wanted = 1120×640

None of these games are 720p! The same can be said of many PS3 titles.

17. YoungZer0

Who gives? I like good gameplay and a good visual presentation. That’s what Killzone 3 has.

18. YoungZer0

I also like how console developers push their consoles to the edge, every single time. Use new and intelligent techniques, instead of relying on the hardware. Which is what PC developers usually do: Bring out the game and not optimize it at all. A good example for this is Crysis one actually. The game started off running with 40-60 fps, but the further i got into the game the more it started lagging and lagging. I really hope Crytek did took some time optimizing it for the PC this time, otherwise i probably won’t care much for the PC Version.

I think we need new engines and more intelligent techniques instead of better hardware and all this useless shit.

19. StolenGlory

Don’t forget; HD starts when Sony says it does :)

20. Erthazus

@20, Exactly.

:D Sony says something and Sony slaves will repeat the same shit.

Studios like Naughty dog or Sucker Punch don’t need to tell that because they do the job.

21. YoungZer0

@21: wat

22. DrDamn

What has all that got to do with whether a dev can get more out of a particular machine or not? That’s what the article is about isn’t it?

“Sony arrogant studios says Killzone 3 has TEH best graphics, Sony slaves repeat that.”

Did they? I mean this just smacks of arrogance doesn’t it?

23. spiderLAW

I think KZ3 looks great. I only played for an hour yesterday and it looks fucking beautiful.
    Yes Erth, i must mention again, i played Crysis 1 and Crysis warhead on max settings and there are great looking games too, but KZ3 isnt too far off their marks.
    Valve games are perfect examples that it isnt the power of the machine that makes a graphically advanced game, its the technique of the developers.

24. albo88

how long was the single player? 4 hour?
    oho welcome to the bluray paradise baby,
    when we snap the shit out of propaganda

25. Atrak

actually that nvidia chip ppl keep saying is old hat is only there because developers are too lazy to take advantage of the cell. Its only when the devs use what they have like in uncharted that you get to see what the ps3 can really do. That being said developing for the ps3 using the cell isnt quite as simple as using the gfx card which is why so many games on the ps3 dont look as good as their xbox 360 versions.

26. Crysis

I wonder where the cell ranks in raw power, obviously not as powerful as a high end i7, probably not even a quad but still, I’m curious to know, I understand that it’s only dedicated to one thing so likely not that powerful overall, but I’d like to know how it competes @ gaming.

27. Crysis

@14, Once again you’re talking about games that haven’t even came out yet, how the hell could you possibly know how they stack when you haven’t seen the whole thing in person? No doubt in my mind that they’ll be some of the greatest looking games of their time, but I remember you comparing crysis 2(X360) with KZ3 & claiming that it’ll mop the floor with it, now one has only just came out & I haven’t seen another game that looks as good as it on either PS3 or 360.

28. Gadzooks!

In stills I actually think KZ2 looked a fair bit better than KZ3. Because of the monotone color pallete and over the top postprocessing the jaggies and low res textures are much less apparent in KZ2.

However, whereas I though KZ2 was a game fashioned from month old dog shit, I find KZ3 to be actually playable, and despite having worse image quality looks far better in action due to it not being just a massive amount of exactly the same grey griders over and over and over and over and over…

This is a prime example of where scaled back graphics has resulted in a vastly superior game because they have freed up some cycles for:

* Improved AI so they dont have to rely on the shitty infinte spawning enemy tactic.

* Much much more responsive controls

* Move variety in scenes, both in terms of level layout and enemy and friendly AI movements.

It’s a positive step for GG. It means they are finally realising that gameplay > graphics every single time.

29. DrDamn

/faints

;-)

I think both KZ2 and KZ3 have comparatively low res textures, but where the engine excels is the post processing to produce a consistent and immersive overall look. The switches and changes made are good for the reasons you mentioned above. Specifically in allowing them to make levels with greater scope and size. It expands design and gameplay possibilities greatly. I’d much rather have a nice open environment to make choices in than finely detailed enclosed environments which restrict me.