Guitar Hero was a “fad,” Acti won’t “strip-mine” CoD

Tuesday, 15th February 2011 02:59 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Analysts have responded to rampant consumer concern over the future of the Call of Duty franchise following Activision’s shelving of Guitar Hero, describing the situations as incomparable.

Speaking to IndustryGamers, DFC Intelligence’s David Cole said the only similarity between the two franchises is Activision’s financial situation.

“I really think the situations with COD and GH are hard to compare, except for the fact that as a public company there is definite pressure to show a steady revenue generating product line,” he said.

Wedbush’s Michael Pachter agreed, stating, “I don’t think they are comparable at all.”

Both analysts described Guitar Hero’s appeal as part of a “fad”.

M2′s Billy Pidgeon called Activision’s handling of the Guitar Hero franchise “strip-mining”, and described it as a “successful, risk-averse strategy” which earned the publisher “good money”.

“(Activision) is learning to execute this strategy with greater efficiency each go-round,” Pidgeon added, suggesting the strategy is a familiar one.

“It was somewhat the same issue as extreme sports and hunting games,” Cole agreed, adding, “FPS games are a long proven genre and thus don’t seem to have fallen into that fad issue.”

EEDAR’s Jesse Divnich, Lizard Capital Markets’ Colin Sebastian, and Janco Partners’ Mike Hickey also weighed in on the question. All the consulted analysts concurred on Activision’s successful capitalisation on the music game gold rush.

Activision announced at its Q3 financials that it had cancelled the Guitar Hero franchise effective immediately.

The series had spawned over twenty releases since inception in 2005.

1. tmac2011

suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

2. freedoms_stain

They bummed the ever-loving shit out of Guitar Hero. Check out the list of titles on the GH wikipedia article, all that in a little over 5 years is fucking mental.

3. Crysis

I don’t believe the headline, how many developers does Acti have JUST for CoD? 4 is it now? It’s just a simple arcade shooter with a boring campaign. I prefer the Battlefield formula, works well with other franchises too, Star Wars Battlefront is proof of this, now only if they could just make a damn sequel >:\
    …I would love a Warhammer 40000 skinned battlefield game, that would be AWESOME!

4. mojo

crysis, oh dude, Battlefront 3 would kick so much asses..
    im still not over it how they binned it days before completion.

“Acti won’t “strip-mine” CoD”
    so, i dreamed the last 2 years?

5. jnms

They won’t strip-mine COD.

They will just release a new version every year.

6. StolenGlory

Oh the irony.

The fucking irony.

7. drewbles82

me and my m8s would play battlefront 2 for hours and hours. I think we did it on the hardest setting started at like 9pm ish and finished round 6am. They really need a battlefront 3 and to definately keep the split screen option.
    After world tour of GH i stopped buying, sold them all on ebay and invested in RB, mainly cuz it felt better for me, more tracks and most of whats on GH eventually comes to RB, and they had export from the very start. The only one i wish they would export is the beatles cuz that disc neva gets played anymore cuz no1 wants to play beatles only n then switch discs. Id play more beatles songs if they were mixed in my whole collection.
    anyway stop with the call of dutys, theres 2 many and they are boring as hell now.

8. AHA-Lambda

yeah didnt these same analysts believe the GH/RB bubble wouldnt burst aswell? -_-

9. DSB

The only thing that made Guitar Hero a fad is that they kept putting out the same thing without major improvements to the formula.

I’ll buy that rhythm games would eventually have become a niche, and that they were majorly overrated, but judging from all the hardcore fans I know, there was definitely still a market. It was just thrown on the floor.

10. OlderGamer

I agree with DSB.

Before my xb360 started not reading discs I played RB a good 5X/week.

The problem for GH was too many games, weak set lists, poor DLC, and not everything imported into everything else(esp the band stuff).

The other problem with GH is that Acti expects to be able to reinvente the wheel at least once a year(look at CoD). Sometimes to stimulate sales and interest you have to wait a little while in between releases.

While upto this point, CoD sales haven’t slowed down, I am hoping BO is the franchises peak. I mean so much effort and attention gets pured into making a CoD(OMP FPS) killer, that other generes are getting pushed aside and ignored.

Anyway, the only thing that killed GH is Acti.