Treyarch-made near-future CoD would be “pretty fantastic,” says design director

Friday, 4th February 2011 13:36 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Treyarch design director David Vonderhaar has said that a Call of Duty set in the near-future made by the developer would be “pretty fantastic.”

Speaking to Machinima, Vonderhaar said “yes” when asked if the Black Ops dev would consider being up for the task.

“I think it would be kind of a unique opportunity but the way that this works out is obviously more complicated than, ‘Hey, me and Treyarch are going to make a near-future shooter,’” he said.

“It’s a tough question to answer. We have not announced any new Call of Duty games at this time but to answer his specific question I think, personally, it would be pretty fantastic to do near-future, you know? Not necessarily far-future.”

This week, Treyarch released the first map pack for Black Ops first on 360, First Strike.

As for any near-future Call of Duty titles, Sledgehammer and Infinity Ward are rumoured to be working together on Modern Warfare 3.

1. Suikoden Fan

*in the backround* MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

is that a cow?

2. OrbitMonkey

It’d be fantastic on the 360, Treyarch can’t programme for shit on the ps3. Oops sorry Vonderhaar, hope my *over-entitled complaining* doesn’t stop you guys from bringing the innovation to your next run of the mill shooter.

3. Heinekeno

(PR)etty (FAN)tastic

4. monkeygourmet

Yeah, you could call it, Call of Duty : Modern Warfare… waitaminute!!!! :)

5. monkeygourmet

it sounds like there already going with:

Call of Duty : near-future, you know? Not necessarily far-future Warfare

though…

6. DSB

It might be a lot of things, but it sure as hell wouldn’t be fantastic.

7. Hybridpsycho

Hasn’t this been made over and over the past few years? .__.

8. tmac2011

call of duty: the truth is out there :P

9. spiderLAW

@8 hahaha

Personally, i’m not buying another COD this generation. I have bought every single 1 since COD2 and enough is enough. I sold all of the COD’s ive owned (Black Ops too) except for MW2 and thats actually being sold today. I will be getting COD4 back and just sticking with that till the next generation and even then i will be really hesitant to buy another.

10. G1GAHURTZ

While BO has the best CoD mp yet (360 version), Treyarch still have to prove that they can come up with something that isn’t made ‘paint by numbers’ style.

A future CoD is intersting though…

As long as all of the guns are real, I’d be interested. I don’t mind about sci-fi scanners, trip wires, grenades, etc, but I hate fake guns.

11. IL DUCE

Yeah I’m so friggin tired of CoD idk if Activision could justify Treyarch cloning Modern Warfare with their Call of Duty’s…not to mention if IW and Sledgehammer aren’t working on MW3 then it’s going to be Space Marines aka CoD:Halo and I will have lost all faith in the franchise…the game has become like Madden and FIFA, a cash cow with these tiny differences year to year but yet we still eat it up without a second thought…eventually though they will screw up

12. DSB

I really didn’t enjoy the Black Ops multiplayer. I tried to get into it over and over again, I experimented with different firing cadences, but the ridiculous (World at War style) maze maps that are just all corners, and the broken spawning, the limited killstreaks and the weapons just turns me off.

I don’t expect CoD to be anything but CoD, and so fatigue isn’t really an issue, and I’d still buy an IW game (even though I expect the next to be a mess) but I’m definitely done with Treyarch games. The fact that they tend to come out after IW raises the bar each time is just a feeling of total underwhelment that I don’t want to shell out for again.

13. spiderLAW

@12 is right
    Black Ops was Trash. COD4 was great. World at War was tighter but i got tired of the WW2 shit. MW2 was good but far too chaotic at some points.
    Black Ops was jus trash.
    Black Ops had suck ass weapons, the maps were terribly designed, the graphics were craptastic, and the single player was tiring.

COD…pass till next gen.