Sega sees nine-month figures boost, Vanquish fails to beat 1 million

Friday, 4th February 2011 10:12 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sega Sammy Holdings posted a profits and revenue boost for its nine months ending December 31, but confirmed Platinum’s Vanquish had fallen short of 1 million sales.

Sales went up 8.7 percent in the period to ¥310 billion. Profit was up to ¥63.0 billion, an 118.2 percent increase year-on-year.

The majority of the increases came from the firm’s amusements arm, with its videogame publishing department earning ¥67.4 billion in revenue and a profit of ¥2.8 billion.

For titles released in Q3 by the company, the three months ending December 31, Sega confirmed that the Shinji Mikami-directed Vanquish sold 820,000 copies, while Football Manager 2011 for PC and PSP sold 690,000 units.

Sonic Colours was the biggest seller in the period, with 1.85 million units sold.

Thanks, GI and Siliconera.

1. Robo_1

Vanquish failing to pass a million units sold makes me a saaad panda. One of the best games out there IMO, just frantic, jaw dropping action from start to finish. You’re not going to get that with a Facebook game.

2. Telepathic.Geometry

That breaks my heart, that’s one of those perfect games like Dead Space 1 or Bioshock for me. I wish games like this would get their just props…

3. pukem0n

this game doesnt get the attention it deserves.
    lets hope they still make a sequel :)

4. Goffee

Vanquish failing to sell a million is a sad indictment of gamers, not the company that produced it. That and Enslaved have been my highlights of the year. Hope Vanquish gets a second chance on NGP!

5. kdogg

Not cool! I thought Vanquish was excellent, even better than Gears 2, no shit.

6. silk

It’s because they did nothing to promote it. All I’ve seen of Vanquish is it dropping in price and coming with a lenticular sleeve (whatever that means).

I’ll give it a try at some point, I’m sure.

7. Robo_1

Spot on, and yeah, I think this could be a prime candidate for a second run on the NGP.

8. DiodeX

I bought Vanquish, but not til this year, I heard it wasn’t worth full price as its fairly short, but @ the £14 I paid new, worth it (on my still to play pile)

9. Ge0force

I REALLY loved the first two chapters of Vanquish, the gameplay and setting are amazing! But I got bored in the second part of the game when there was almost nothing but reclycling. The near impossible 6th challenge eventually made me sell the game. Vanquish had a lot of potential, but made too many mistakes to be called a superb game imo.

10. AHA-Lambda

actually i’m glad vanquish even sold what it did.

It deserved to do sooo much better ;_;

11. tont

Glad Vanquish did nearly double what Enslaved did, though! Gameplay > Story.

12. back_up

vanquish was fantastic game
    should have easily sold more but i hope they have earn enough money to make a sequel

13. freedoms_stain

@12, must have been those god damned console pirates eh? After all that’s your go-to reason for all poor sales, right? Or are we selective in our prejudices?

14. Deacon

@6 I agree they should’ve promoted it more. And the price did seem to drop really soon after launch.

That doesn’t bother me one bit as I wanted this day 1, but rarely/never buy a game at full RRP.

Considering the MC rating of 84 and the praise it has received it is a shame about the lacklustre sales.

I blame the narrow-minded CoD-heads and lack of multiplayer.

15. NeoSquall

My fault, I have to buy my copy but I still have many games to play on PS3 like Brutal Legend (gonna get tropies), Bayonetta (gonna finish it yet), Final Fantasy XIII (gonna finish it yet), Metal Gear Solid 4 (idem) and next Red Dead Redemption.

Yes, I had the PS3 for 3 months now and I have to play the eldest first.
    This reminds me I have to get Infamous too.

Anyways, I’ll get Vanquish from TheHut once I have time (and money), since it’s cool and badass.

16. back_up

torrent freak often posts list of games pirated and if you carefully look at it PC games numbers are way too high
    I am pretty sure vanquish will not make to the list

17. xino

wow man!
    that is not good! not even 1 million.

I guess Gamepro or was it Game Informer who said the game was 4 hours long, that must have hurt the sales:/
    and also no multiplayer!

I didn’t buy the game because of replay value

18. xino

@13 & @16

not the pirates, people did not thought much of it because it lacked Multiplayer and the reviews that proclaimed it was 4 hours, probably hurt the damn sales.

Also other games came out same month- Medal of Honor, lORDS of Shadow & Enslaved.

19. freedoms_stain

@18, relax, I’m trolling the troll.

@16, way to provide some proof bro. Do you know what’s interesting? Pirated games are often referred to as “Back ups”. OMFG! WHAT A COINCIDENCE!

20. OlderGamer

Vanquish, sold better then I had thought it would.

IMO, it was very over rated. I am guessing the general buying public must have thought the same.

21. frostquake

Sad to say that I have yet to break the cellophane on Vanquish.. :(

22. osric90

Please support Platinum Games, they’re so talented and are practically saving Japanese games industry!

23. Lord Gremlin

Speaking of Vanquish… It was definitely fun and felt somewhat fresh, but now after 1 full playthrough it’s sitting on my shelf while I play games like Splatterhouse and Fist of the North Star.
    Strangely, Vanquish feels like it’s missing something. It’s really fun and you enjoy it as you play, but there is constantly that feel that something is wrong. Perhaps it’s generally the way game is balanced. You see, Bayonetta was a jaw-dropping masterpiece (and I played it on PS3 – despite known issues it IS a masterpiece), but Vanquish falls short. It’s small things that drags it down. Which is sad.

I have to say, perhaps one day I’ll replay it anyway and I’m glad to have it in my collection.

24. ensabahnur

I am confident that it will break 1M in sales in a few more months, just needs some more time.

25. back_up

@19:
    pirates know it better and you have proved it that you are pirate

26. tenthousandgothsonacid

Tried the demo, sadly it was lacking in the ‘fun’ department for me :(

27. rainer

Vanquish felt like it was barely marketed at all by Sega so for the amount they sold that seems pretty decent all things considered.