Champions Online is now free to play

Tuesday, 25th January 2011 17:01 GMT By Patrick Garratt

championsonline2

Following news last week that Champions Online lifetime subs have now been reduced by 20 percent to £240, Cryptic’s confirmed that the basic game is now completely free to play.

The superhero MMO’s now been renamed Champions Online: Free for All.

“Silver Players” – those that play at no cost – can play up to level 40 without restriction.

Players do also have the option to become a Gold Member for $14.99 a month, which unlocks all of the game’s existing content, allows for classic CO freeform character progression, and also grants Members a stipend of 400 Cryptic Points to use in the C-Store every month.

You can download the client here.

Get to it. It doesn’t cost you any money. You shouldn’t really need too much more incentive than that.

1. Gekidami

Is this any good then?

2. Hunam

Still entirely expensive, running on a crap engine, boring content and full to the brim with deviant furries.

3. blackdreamhunk

goood to know I will be playing for sure if it’s free

4. Hunam

But they are charging insane prices for any extra content, with what you get as free being next to fuck all in terms of character skills.

5. TheWulf

There’s been a flock of people who’ve come to the Champions Online forums lately. I’m seeing no end of new names that I don’t recognise, and people who’ve registered this month alone. Some of them are those who’ve tried DC Universe Online and either came to try Champions Online instead or are returning to it, and some of them are there for the free to play experience. All of the feedback is positive.

I wouldn’t listen to 2. He’s kind of stuck in a permanent state of being an unnecessarily hateful dick from my experience. His closing words rather proves that.

Instead, do your own research!

This was a massive success for LOTRO/Turbine and it’s looking like a massive success for Cryptic, too. I’ve been actually playing with a free to play character at the moment, solely in fact, with one of the freely available archetypes. And considering that 98% of the content (barring a few adventure packs) is entirely free, I just can’t recommend it enough. The archetypes play really well, and there’s probably more on offer for free here than I’ve seen in any other MMO. This is unusually generous of them.

Check the forums, then try it for yourself, if you want.

It’s free, so it can’t hurt.

Now to provide some counters…

@2: Please don’t lie, it’s unbecoming.

“Still entirely expensive,”

This is your most o_O statement. Considering that only the adventure packs are being charged for, how is it entirely too expensive? You’re talking out of your bum!

“running on a crap engine,”

The engine recently underwent an upgrade for free to play. Did you even try free to play?

“boring content”

A subjective opinion that I completely disagree with. I think you’d have to be boring and not have much of a personality to find the charming and amusing — if sometimes cheesy — boring. You need to learn how to have fun with things.

Not everything needs to be emo-dark-death-doom, you know.

“and full to the brim with deviant furries.”

Another lie. I see one non-human character to every 10 humans as a general count. And that includes robots and insects. Furthermore, I’ve never seen anyone acting in a ‘deviant’ way. This is just pure BS from someone trying to slam a game he’s angry with for whatever reason. Being ‘deviant’ is against Cryptic’s ToS and a bannable offence, after all.

@4: More nonsense.

“But they are charging insane prices for any extra content,”

The ‘extra content’ happens to be two smallish adventure packs that account for about 1.5% of the content and aren’t required to complete the game or see any of the dungeon content. And the prices aren’t any different than those in any free-to-play MMO. The content prices in Everquest II are far worse.

“with what you get as free being next to fuck all in terms of character skills.”

This is, once again, bull. You get all the skills available, they’re just locked into archetypes, or ‘classes’ for those who aren’t familiar with the word. You don’t have full power customisation in the free version, no, but to say that the powers aren’t present is an outright and exceedingly obvious lie.

If you want to harm Champs Online, you might want to try lying less and being less of a jerk. It makes your motivations entirely too obvious. :P

Edit #1: Also, Hunam? Stop hating on random groups of people you obviously know nothing about. It makes you look like a crazed, frothing, rabid, sociopathic 4channer. A man composed of nothing more than hate or bile. Take that elsewhere. Probably to 4chan, where you’d be more comfortable.

6. DSB

I’d give it a shot.

It’s no WoW, but if you’re indeed tired of the WoW template, it does offer a bit more action and imagination.

It’s missing the phat loot, the brilliant endgame and the tight controls to really compare though.

I definitely don’t regret the months I’ve signed up for in the past. But yeah, lots and lots of deviant furries.

7. Wesker

I recently re-installed Champions Online and I like it.
    It’s just refreshing from all those fantasy MMOs.

I can play for free (review copy), so I don’t waste any money, if I decide to stop playing.

“It’s missing the phat loot”

That’s one point I don’t mind to be honest. I like the system, it’s not perfect, but it provides me with a few fun hours during the week. ;)