Eshiro: Okami bombed due to PS3, Wii launches

Monday, 24th January 2011 14:22 GMT By Johnny Cullen

okami2

Capcom producer Motohide Eshiro has said the launches of PS3 and Wii were to blame for Okami’s relative failure at retail.

Eshiro said launching the game at a time where Nintendo and Sony were preparing to launch new home consoles was a mistake.

“I can’t comment officially but, personally speaking, I think it had a lot to do with the announcements for new consoles,” he told ONM (via EG).

“That was overshadowing any other game news at the time.”

Okami launched in September 2006 on PS2 in the west, two months before planned launches of PS3 and Wii.

The game will get a sequel with Okamiden for DS on March 18 in Europe.

1. StolenGlory

No, and let’s be honest here; it bombed because the ‘FPS! DERP! GRAPHICS! DERP! GUNS! DEEEEERP…’ fraternity didn’t know a refreshingly innovative and stylishly unique game when they fucking saw one.

2. Blerk

It had nothing to do with the new platforms, it was because Capcom didn’t promote it enough. And because gamers are generally rubbish. :-D

I bought it day one and loved it to bits, amazing game. The lack of a proper sequel (by the original developers on a platform which isn’t steam-powered) is very sad.

Easily the best-looking game on the PS2. Easily. Still kicks the shit out of many hi-def titles, and practically everything ever released on the Wii.

3. Lloytron

*looks at shelf*
    *sees boxed copy of Okami for the Wii*

Ummm how does the launch of the Wii cause the failiure of a title that is available for the Wii?

And yes I know he must be referring to the PS2, but I’d wager it wasn’t a huge retail success on Wii either, despite being a wonderful game. So to lay the blame solely at the feet of Sony and Nintendo for launching other machines is a bit disingenuous.

4. Blerk

iirc, it was a ‘retail disaster’ on the Wii. :-(

5. StolenGlory

Blerk, IIRC didn’t the Wii version have some technical issues too? Such as slow-response times?

6. chronoss2

then maybe they should make a HD version with Move, it could give it a new breath, and i’ll definitely buy it..

7. Blerk

The only thing I can remember the Wii version getting criticised for was that it was missing that awesome ‘parchment’ filter from the PS2 version that made everything look all papery.

As for Move, I never quite understood why everything thought it needed motion controls – it worked perfectly well with twin-sticks. Indeed, without the second stick for camera control I can’t imagine it playing nearly as well.

8. freedoms_stain

I loved the ps2 version. Yeah it had it’s flaws, it was too easy, the noise characters made while talking was infuriating and generally I dislike having to fight identical boss battles multiple times as part of the story (how many fucking times did you have to fight Orochi? And it was literally identical every time :/) but still an awesome game. Beautiful, tons to do and see, interesting story.

9. absolutezero

It failed because Capcom relied far too heavily on the press to market the thing for them. Seriously the only place I ever saw Okami before its launch was on games magazines like Edge and a few websites.

Kinda like when Ico first came out, no one gave a shit.

10. frostquake

Simple, make it a HD Download title on the PSN. The Wii Memory Sucks, so many wouldn’t put it on the Wii, so many of my Married Friends who got the Wii for their kids, have no idea there is even an SD slot on the Machine. I think it could be really well received on the PSN and 360. Sadly the Wii version I have is still sealed, though I played in on my Fat PS3 60 Gig with the PS2 Disc.

11. DaMan

nah, it’s because people would rather play Call of Repetition version 19 than anything less endorphin inducing.

12. TheWulf

Okami never bombed in my eyes. It was a work of art. It was one of the most original, unique, clever, and beautiful games I’d ever played. And for me, understandably, it had one of the most compelling characters I’ve ever played in a game. It was a day one purchase.

It had all those things that I look for in a game, that makes a game one to remember for the ages – it had escapism, beauty, awe, and wonder. It had some truly memorable characters and great writing. It had intuitive gameplay which was difficult to master. It was truly the perfect example of a game.

I find myself thinking of Okami often due to the special qualities of that game, and I’ve replayed it so many times because of those qualities. Of course, I realise I’m a bit uncommon, so I don’t need to be told that.

The draw of Okami is that there’s nothing else like it.

There wasn’t before it, and there hasn’t been since.

I actually feel the same way about Drakan for the PC, for exactly the same reasons. It might’ve lacked a little in the beauty department due to it being an old game – but the experience of flying Arokh is second to none. A dragon that can bank and pitch, a dragon capable of barrel rolls and loop the loops. Capable of the most amazing aerial combat maneuvers I’ve ever seen in a game. But this might be because most fighter jets aren’t that big, don’t operate on giant, leathery wings, and aren’t equipped with flame throwers.

But games like that I value, I put them at the top of my collection, and I do this because there’s just nothing else out there that’s exactly the same. With Okami, Drakan, and games like that you could point out a few base similarities to other games, but then I could list off hundreds of reasons as to why they’re not like those games.

Whenever a game like that is released, it’s an event for me.

Okami was a true success in the only way that matters. It was singular. It was unique. And it was magnificent. I’m glad I’m not the only one here with words like that for it.

13. Michael O’Connor

This game doesn’t even need a HD remake. Just stick it in your PS3 (as long as you have a BC unit, of course), at it will look absolutely gorgeous on your HD TV anyway.

14. Razor

I bought my copy. Looks glorious on PS3. Would be a contender for a PS3 remaster, but of course it would never sell.

Shame.