New THQ logo revealed in New York

Wednesday, 12th January 2011 15:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

THQ logo

THQ revealed its new logo today at its New York Gamers Event.

In an official unveiling ceremony, THQ announced the new corporate logo, which it said reflects “the company’s commitment to a new strategic and creative vision with an enhanced visual identity”.

The logo was first shown via on Twitter by OPM UK.

“Our new logo epitomizes the change, innovation and creative growth that are the cornerstones of the new THQ,” said company president and CEO Brian Farrell. “By developing triple-A, innovative, original intellectual properties, attracting the top talent in the industry, and placing that talent first, THQ continues to redefine itself. This new logo seeks to capture that change and make it tangible.

“Over the past few years the gaming industry has seen an unprecedented period of innovation. You can see it in the deep, rich storylines, in the expansion of social and mobile gaming, and in the introduction of new technologies that enhance the gaming experience.

“THQ is proving its commitment to deliver the best experience to gamers through internally developed original intellectual properties, creative partnerships, and new talent acquisitions , in order to solidify its position as a flagship publisher of extraordinary interactive entertainment.”

The new logo will be rolled out over the next few months and will begin to appear on THQ’s upcoming product releases starting in February.

1. Ghost_Dog

I like it.

2. Blerk

Hmm. Certainly more ‘modern’ than the old one, but if I didn’t already know their name was THQ I don’t know what I’d think it was.

3. Michael O’Connor

That’s a design disaster. Eww.

4. The_Red

Looks more like Th? than THQ. Boo!

5. Stephany Nunneley

Just got the press release, more information incoming………

6. Tomo

I like it too. Their old one was horrendous.

7. Blerk

They’ve been short-changed on their H, too!

8. Anders

Hate it. Also, have any of THQ:s games the last years had any “visual identity”? Besides The Blob, that is.

9. joshua nash

for some reason when looking at the logo i think of tetris

10. Michael O’Connor

@8 In fariness, Darksiders’ art design was pretty damn solid. Pity the game was average as all hell.

11. Joe Anderson

@8 Darksiders was awesome.

@10 What you talking about? Darksiders was my Game of the Year, best ending in a game ever.

12. Blerk

I wasn’t overly sold on Darksiders either. It felt strangely ‘hollow’, despite its feature list looking so awesome.

13. orakaa

This is the new THQ logo ? Are you kiddin’ me ?
    I work as a professional graphic designer, but I don’t need that to say that the readability of this logo is utterly crap.

The “H” is barely visible (the end of the letter looks like an “I”) and the “Q” reminds me more of an “S”… especially as, scientifically speaking, people can “understand written words” with missing letters… for me, when I see “THS”, I think of “THIS”, not “THQ”.

14. Dannybuoy

Not liking the new logo at all.

Darksiders was fun. For about 6 hours then it just became monotonous. Zelda just has so much more going on in the worlds that you don’t mind backtracking. It just got boring in Darksiders.

15. ybfelix

looks really unbalanced

16. Erthazus

Darksiders was an uninspired piece of shit that had almost all of the games inside it.

Very average game with no soul inside it.

17. Michael O’Connor

@11 For me, gameplay mechanics are everything. It could be the greatest story ever told, but if the gameplay doesn’t hold up, I simply can’t get into it.

I found Darksiders to be incredibly monotonous. I’ll give credit to its art-design, but otherwise, it did absolutely nothing for me.

18. Anders

Seems like VG247 are out of hot news.

*looks at the left sidebar*

19. Michael O’Connor

@18 Expect it be replaced with either the “Overhyped News” bar, or the “Shit News” bar any moment now.

20. theevilaires

You games already suck and now your name will match the quality of you titles you release every year. Just change your name to “SHIT”. You still get to keep the T and H at least and your new q looks like a fucked up S on crack, all you have to do is look in the mirror for the next letter.

S.H.I.T. you can keep all rights THQ GOD knows you need some good new ideas.

21. M2Kx

How come that everyone hates on THQ? Red Faction, Saints Row, UFC Undisputed, Darksiders all good/excellent games. Sure you may not like them, but they’re far not that bad as some of you make them.

Logo’s f***in ugly btw, nuff said!

22. Blerk

I don’t hate THQ. I’ve liked quite a few of their games in the last few years.

23. mojo

omg.
    one word: FUGLY

what was wrong with the old logo?
    i found it one of the best arroudn the industry..

“Just like Blerk said, if you weren’t told it was THQ, you couldn’t tell what it is”
    exactly this.

seriously this has to be a joke? thq wants to prank the internet?

“Seems like VG247 are out of hot news.

*looks at the left sidebar*”

well about time i guess.
    the whole “hot” thing got pointless cause almost every article was tagged hot…

24. freedoms_stain

That Q is so stylised it could easily be taken for a 9.

But hey, maybe TH9 will make better games.

25. xino

cool man…seems more board and professional

26. Len

Darksiders was great fun, what’s wrong with you all…? It was just Zelda in a different guise.

Most enjoyable… :)

27. freedoms_stain

@26, I’m with you man, I adored that game.

Gutted the projected release date for 2 is so far away.

28. NeoSquall

I don’t like this. It’s too much “bauhausy”.

29. burrsalem

I’m a pretty big THQ fan. I like what they’ve done in recent years, I really like what they have coming down the pipeline and Danny Bilson is making a believer out of me. This logo is flat out terrible though. They should take a cue from EA who took a cue from the movie studios: Keep your identity and let it be a beacon of familiarity, but allow it to be customized to some degree for individual releases. The first time I remember seeing it was when Warner Brothers allowed the WB logo to get the Matrix treatment back in the late 90′s.

Really looking forward to Homefront, Red Faction: Armageddon, Stacking, Saints Row 3, etc, but this new logo is flat out awful. Time for a 180. Stat.