Report: Mac App Store to launch at 5.00pm GMT today [Update]

Thursday, 6th January 2011 14:20 GMT By Johnny Cullen

mac app store

Update: The store is now available to download if you get the latest Mac OSX software update. Thanks, Quiiick.

Original Story: The Mac App Store is set to launch later this evening, according to a report from The Loop.

Apple hasn’t announced any specific timing other than it will launch on January 6, but the report claims it’ll go live at 12.00pm EST/9.00am PST today, which is 5.00pm GMT.

The Mac App Store works in the same way the current App Store for iPhone does. Only it’s for Macs.

The Mac App Store will take care of downloads in the same way iTunes would with its own downloads. It’ll also alert you to any updates to the app you’ve downloaded.

Any and all apps you purchase from the store will work on all the Macs you own.

Thanks, EG.

1. Quiiick

I’ve been using Bodega (http://appbodega.com/) for some time now but eventually will switch to the MacAppStore today.

2. Quiiick

The MacAppStore is available NOW via SoftwareUpdate (Mac OS 10.6.6) !!!
    At least in the US and here in Switzerland that is.

3. earlyrock

@2 Nice! I’ll try update in a minute.

4. DrDamn

Available in the UK too.

5. DrDamn

Not much there yet UK wise, but a couple of things like iPhoto 11 and Aperture 3 are nicely priced at (£8.99 and £44.99) respectively. Pages and Keynote are £11.99.

6. Dannybuoy

I’m in there like swimwear

7. KrazyKraut

In Germany too..my wife is updating now^^

8. theevilaires

As much as i would like to join the Apple bandwagon I just can’t….I FUCKING HATE ITUNES!

….but I do want that sexy 27″ IMAC :(

9. earlyrock

@8 I don’t mind iTunes myself. Its usable on a Mac, but Windows is another story. Must be the worst Windows application I’ve ever used.

Ironically, Zune is the best application I’ve used for music. Wish it was on the Mac!

10. theevilaires

When I can drag and drop then I’ll support Apple. Until then screw ITUNES and IPODS. And I can’t justify spending $1800 just to showcase pics of my daughter on that beautiful 27″ IMAC screen.

and people say SONY is bad for their over price stuff. What about these guys. You’re paying an extra $800 just to say to another I’m apart of the Apple club. May have to go see a friend who finds these things falling off the back of trucks since Apple refuses to price them reasonable.

11. Anders

I purchased one for 300 bucks and upgraded it to 4 GB RAM for another 100 bucks. Runs like a charm. But yeah, when you’re buying them new, they’re pretty damned expensive.

12. freedoms_stain

Personally I like to go Open Source as much as possible when it comes to desktop software. Apple can bite my shite.

13. Quiiick

@ freedoms_stain

“… Apple can bite my shite.”

Actually Apple uses a lot of “Open Source”.
    And they prefer open standards to proprietary ones.

14. theevilaires

^ *cough bullshit cough* some me proof to back up your statement Quiiick. I goto best buy these fuckers have an entire section to themselves with I-garbage written on them.

15. earlyrock

Actually, Darwin, the backbone of OS X, iOS and Apple TV is open source. Its UNIX based.

While they might have a closed infrastructure with their Stores and iTunes, they are still pretty open source friendly. Unlike some others.

@14 Welcome to the capitalist 21st century :D

16. Quiiick

@ theevilaires

You’re wrong. As @earlyrock already pointed out, the backbone of Apple’s operating-system is based on Open Source. And their web-browser engine for Safari is based on Open Source as well and quite a few other technologies they use.

Sure, Apple isn’t the “nice guy” as they used to be. But albeit their frightening growth in the last ten years, they still are the most innovative tech company in the world.

17. freedoms_stain

@13, Apple only support open standards when there are proprietary standards they don’t have their own competitors for. Or do you want to tell me AAC is open?

@15, taking open source software, wrapping it up in proprietary code and locking it up tighter than a virgins bumhole to your own hardware does not open source make. Sorry to burst the bubble.

18. Crysis

I don’t like Apple …
    I needed to get that out of my system :P
    …Better than going into yet another rant about why i don’t like ‘em.

19. earlyrock