Report: Kinect accused of causing RROD in older Xbox 360 models

Wednesday, 5th January 2011 18:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

rrod

The BBC is reporting that numerous Xbox 360 users are having issues with their consoles when connecting their brand-new Kinect devices to the system.

Apparently, it is causing some consoles to flash the dreaded RROD.

“It’s very disappointing,” said one ten year old’s father, whose 360 died shortly after using Kinect. “We were planning to have a big New Year’s Day party with karaoke microphones and a Take That competition.

“But now the Xbox is just sitting idle.”

That’s what they get for planning a Take That-themed evening, we reckon.

Over on the official Xbox.com forums, a four-page thread has emerged on the matter, and it is though the RROD problem only occurs with doriginal Xbox 360 units using Kinect and not the newer, slimmer model.

Microsoft, however, doesn’t believe it is an issue with Kinect, just older hardware models failing. Kinect, according to a MS spokesperson, was “designed to work with every Xbox 360 sold to date.”

“There is no correlation between the three flashing red lights error and Kinect,” the spokesperson told the BBC. “Any new instances of the three flashing red lights error are merely coincidental.”

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. Dralen

So either way, it’s still a fail.

2. theevilaires

….and the LEGACY continues :D

3. Erthazus

Speechless…

Great device.

4. OlderGamer

I know quality when I smell it … oh wait, no, thats just my xbox360.

The RRoD is one of those things that I will not forgive MS for. it will go down in the books and be remember long after I am gone.

5. Quiiick

… will this ever end?

6. reask

Thank F**k I didn’t get Kinnect. :)
    This could be costly for them methinks.

7. anuekr

Got only one word to say about that:
    Trololololololololol

8. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Wow. Only the future stats will prove whether there is a corelation or this is in fact “coincidence”.

9. f1r3storm

“We were planning to have a big New Year’s Day party with karaoke microphones and a Take That competition.”

I call that self protection by the console.

10. theevilaires

I just want to know one thing….Is M$ still suing that guy who came out and told the truth about the 360 production flaws and M$ knew it right from the beginning but chose to still release the hardware?

(Thats a serious question btw)

11. ashers2ashers

I don’t know much about the DLC in lips (or any music games other than Rock Band for that matter), but I’m pretty certain that there is a Take That edition of Singstar, which is a Playstation exclusive IP? So if they were planning on playing that on their 360 then I think I’d've prefered the story “Family blames Sony for causing 360′s RRoD when playing Take That: Singstar”

12. OrbitMonkey

@9 +1 :)
    When I started reading this I wondered if this was just another BBC. hatchet job, like they did on the ps3 ylod, guess not. Gutted, was hoping to pick up a cheap older console & Kinnect for the kids.
    Suppose I’ll hafta fork out the extra cash :(

13. Dr.Ghettoblaster

LOL @ #9!

14. Michael O’Connor

In other news, my uncle’s brother’s granddaughter’s best friend’s cousin said that jumping up and down on the floor while playing Kinect causes scratched discs!

More at 11!

Christ, I remember when the BBC was a credible news source. In the last year, they’ve just become the same kind of bullshit propaganda cesspit as the rest of the internet.

15. theevilaires

^ want some cheese with your whine :D

16. Seraphemz

Not even the box wants to play kinect games…

17. theevilaires

…..hmmm no Hunam, no psychotext, no Mike in these comments yet huh….someone check eurogamer they must be doing damage control over there :D

18. Psychotext

Saw my name… what exactly do you want me to say? 360s get RRoD? D’uh.

You’ll see the same story with 360s dying every time a big new release comes out too. I don’t think anyone is surprised that actually using older 360s tends to kill them… and just about all that can be said on that billion dollar fuckup has been said.

Nice to see you’re still obsessed with me though. :)

19. Michael O’Connor

@15 Sure. Want some shit with your bull?

20. Hunam

I resent the fact that you think I’m a 360 fan boy. I mean I only used to work for Micro…. erm. Nothing to see here.

21. albo88

lol they thing they will influence sells with this propaganda
    ah media is evil can be used for everything

22. lexph3re

@hunam +10 lol

23. Mike Honcho

RROD rears it’s ugly head again …. M$ should just do a trade-in program, old box for the slim box.

No one deserves the RROD …. even Take That fanboys.

24. earlyrock

Oh Snap!

25. LOLshock94

the xbox obviesly made it self have the RROD due to the fact they were gonna have a take that party

26. Khanivor

112 posts in a forum thread in seven weeks and this is news? WTF?

27. mojo

this is shocking news.
    a take that party? Seriously?
    /passes away

28. NeoSquall

So is M$ trying to coerce gamers to buy newer consoles with less features?

… no wait, wrong console.

29. Robo_1

I’ve a hard time believing that a usb add on can cause the solder between the gpu and motherboard to suddenly melt. If anything, Kinect could be pushing 360 pretty hard, and that is causing an overheat.

30. Gadzooks!

It’s the same old story any time there is a spike in console use. More use = more chance of failure.

I can’t remember the titles off the top of my head, but several big hitters on the 360 have been accused of RRODing consoles. They didnt, obviously, but sensationalism and obvious facts just dont get along.

I suspect a study could be made to find exactly the same spike in YLOD’s over the Christmas period.

31. theevilaires

^ still in denial….what a shame.