WoW Cataclysm sells 3.3 million in 24 hours to become “the fastest-selling PC game of all time”

Monday, 13th December 2010 14:31 GMT By Patrick Garratt

cata

Blizzard just announced that World of Warcraft expansion Cataclysm “sold through” more than 3.3 million copies as of its first 24 hours of release, making it “the fastest-selling PC game of all time.”

The claim is based on “on internal company records and reports from key distribution partners” and “includes digital pre-sales.”

This milestone beats the previous record of more than 2.8 million copies sold in 24 hours, set in November 2008 by Blizzard’s second World of Warcraft expansion, Wrath of the Lich King.

Cataclysm was simultaneously released in the US, Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Europe, Russia, Southeast Asia, Australia, and New Zealand on December 7, and shipped in Korea and the regions of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau on December 9.

Blizzard said today that more than 10,000 stores throughout the world opened at midnight for the launch.

Approximately 15,000 players attended official launch events in the US, Canada, France, Germany, Russia, Sweden, the Netherlands, Spain, the UK, and the region of Taiwan, according to the publisher.

The MMO’s subs based currently stands at 12 million.

1. Erthazus

Woohoo. Gratz.

2. DSB

Cheerio, pip pip and all that jazz.

I’m having somewhat of a deja vu playing through Cataclysm. I’m about to hop into Uldum, which is apparently where the expansion gets good, but I’m really missing the “Wooow” moments so far.

When I stepped into Outland for the first time I couldn’t believe I was playing the same game, my mind was blown. When I stepped into Northrend it just felt like more of the same with a few added scripts, and going into the first three Cataclysm zones has been a comparable snoozefest. The 2-quest system feels too rigid as well.

It is very cool to run around with AI partymembers, though.

3. Erthazus

@2 You started new character? :D Alliance? Horde? Race? Class? :D

4. DSB

@3 Nah, I just reactivated my old ones. All horde, belf Rogue (old main), belf Tankadin (hoping to make it my new main) and orc Deathtank. Shattered Halls PVP EU. I moved to play with my brother, but I’m thinking I might go to a regular server since I’m tired of wasting time fighting pinkies when I’m trying to grind.

I guess I should do an alt or something and see what the new lowbie game is like.

5. Gadzooks!

I’m liking the improved storytelling in Cataclysm. The story arcs for each zones now feel more focussed and there is a good climactic encounter at the end of each zones questlines.

Slick, and deserving of the sales IMO.

Downside: 2500 login queues :(

6. theevilaires

So let me get this straight. This is the original start off when WOW first released ever but the story is being retold in a better way with more surprises?

Sorta like what they’re doing in Japan with the Dragonball Z series in HD (Dragonball Kai). If thats the case then thats a good way to bring in new players which I know their point (MORE MONEY). I would be interested to see what the whole craze is about but these guys have too much money as it is and I’m not into the “lets jump on the bandwagon cause everyone else is doing it thing”.

7. DSB

@5 I don’t disagree, it’s still the best MMO around, but I’m pretty tired of looking at done-to-death dark zones and zones with copy-pasted palettes. It’s great to do a zone underwater and one inside a huge cavern, but when the cave looks like any other dark zone and the underwater one looks like any other seafloor there’s not much to take in while running, swimming or flying around. But of course I can only speak for the first three zones.

Personally I think the design philosophy behind Outland was as superb as it was simple. You had a red zone, an orange zone, a blue zone, a dark green zone, a bright green zone, a black zone and a purple zone. That way you were never drudging around. Even if some of the zones still sapped your energy you always had different colours catching your eye when you moved on.

@6 I’m not at 85 yet, but as I understand it, it’s 50% new zones, with new dungeons and new raids, and 50% retooling of old zones and old dungeons.

Basically a big bad old dragon from Warcraft II comes in and smashes everything, opening up entirely new zones, and changing the old ones.

8. Michael O’Connor

@6 No. The story of Cataclysm kicks off right after Northrend. It’s not a reboot of any kind.

Most of the storylines in old zones have progressed to follow the story as well.

For instance, Western Plaguelands used to be a a human kingdom that was overrun by the scourge. With the Lich King defeated, that’s no longer a problem, so the zone received a completely new lick of paint to match. It’s now all green and lush instead of looking dead and barren.

Everything in the old world has been updated, from the quests to the starting areas to the levelling process. The new levels aren’t the focus of this expansion – the end game content and revitalizing the old world is. Even the new zones are located in the old world.

9. OlderGamer

Still the best MMOrpg out there. Just that it feels old hat to me at this point. Expansion or not I have been playing this for what 6 years?

I really need something fresh. I am hoping Guild Wars 2 helps me out there, but I doubt it will live up to my expectations. And next to WoW it will prolly pale.

But I am just so worn out on WoW. *Sigh

10. back_up

MMO’s cannot be pirated
    can Portal or Witcher 2 will do this

11. Michael O’Connor

You have WoW, O.G.? PM me your RealID on Xbox Live.

Nah, Guild Wars 1 was pretty awesome. And hey, all you have to pay for is the game once, so you can’t really complain, right?

12. OlderGamer

I have wow but don’t activly play. My “main” is Hammershine on Silvermoon(for wowheros use). But I have been hacked so much on my kids/wifes account that I have decided to not go forward with Cati expac. My main account, is unhacked, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth ya know? I can semi accept that hacking is going to be a part of a game w/12million players, but the charge backs due to the hacker using a fruadialant credit card is the straw that broke our camels back.

So we stick with stuff like Pinball! lol and I am closing in on your Rome score! I will top it, somehow hehe.