You can shoot while moving in Resident Evil: Mercenaries

Wednesday, 8th December 2010 10:49 GMT By Johnny Cullen

re 3ds

There. Wish granted. At the risk of possibly pissing off series loyalists.

Capcom’s confirmed to Famitsu you can now shoot while moving in Resident Evil: Mercenaries.

Mercenaries is also 70 percent finished, while other 3DS RE title Revelations is only 30 percent done.

Thanks, Andriasang.

1. StolenGlory

You should’ve been able to do it from the start tbh.

These ‘loyalists’ shouldn’t be so ass backwards anyway in their tastes.

2. Moonwalker1982

This game is third person, right?

3. Michael O’Connor

Eh, the only Resident Evil that was ever actually any good was 4. Resident Evil was probably one of the greatest examples of how franchise loyalty foregoes any sort of actual standard of quality.

@2 Yes.

4. Blerk

Loyalists are fine, but controls loyalists are just mental. Resi was historically a great series, but man the controls were a load of old shit!

Sadly…. I really hate Mercenaries, revamped controls or not.

5. Callum

Jesus, I havn’t played a Resi game since number 2 on the Playstation (1). Are they still around?! lol.

6. Gekidami

I never really understood the beef people had with not being able to move and shoot. In a game like Dead Space that uses the same aiming system as the recent RE games but also lets you move and shoot, nearly every time i’ve seen someone play it, or play it myself, they, or i stop to shoot. There might be a few steps back in some situations but nothing that warrents the hate RE5 got.

7. alimokrane

Good Bye Resident Evil. This is where you and I part ways.

8. freedoms_stain

@6, I dunno man, on consoles I always find aiming easier with both sticks.

Personally I’m not really a Resi man, although I thought Dead Space was an awesome twist on the genre.

9. Blerk

Dead Space controls were pretty much spot-on what Resi 5′s controls should have been. For a game as fast-paced as Resi has become, move-stop-aim-shoot is no longer sufficient.

Yes, a lot of the time you might stand still while firing, but when you’re in danger and needing to escape it’s just ridiculous to not be able to fire off a few shots while running, even if those shots are pretty inaccurate.

10. dragct

“The 3DS title will be the first title in the series that will allow you to shoot and move.”

Outbreak already had that.

11. elronathon

Thoroughly enjoyed Resi5, never understood all the hate. It is also still one of the most impressive looking + sounding games this gen. Was let down by a couple of dud areas but on the whole was an absolute ball to play through. The caveat being…I only ever played it in co-op.

As for the controls, they worked, it really did result in a lot of moments of panic that would otherwise have been thin on the ground.

12. 2plus2equals5

Wow, you can move AND shoot! This is insane! This will rewrite the history of games!
    Sarcasm apart re controls are really out of this world.

13. Gekidami

In the end does it really matter? I’m not sure if you’re all aware, but the 3DS dosnt have 2 analogue sticks and has both its D-pad and analogue on the same side. Considering the controls, stop and shoot would work better. If the game plays anything like RE 4 & 5, anyway.

14. theevilaires

Is this a……..reboot :P well its about time at least we can move and shoot.

15. absolutezero

You can’t run and shoot in Dead Space. I think even they figured out that it could completely kill any sort of tension when the enemies can only ever shamble towards you at different speeds.

RE5 was all about the fear of mob brutality, not being able to constantly back away from the encroaching masses heightened the tension of even small encounters. I guess people just don’t really understand how the more recent Resi games went about generating fear and pressure.

16. Mike W

Damn I thought there was one RE game for the 3DS. So what about Revelations, are you able to walk and shoot in that one as well?

17. Len

@Callum: You should really track down and play 4 it is truly brilliant.

18. SplatteredHouse

Any guesses for what far-future year they’ll set the RE developer’s premises’ time capsule lock to, this time? :p

19. Dr.Ghettoblaster

@3. Resident Evil 1, 2, CodeVeronica, and 4 were all exceptionally well produced games during their time period. Nostalgia wise, RE1 and RE1 (Gamecube remake) are my favorites, but I’d have to order them from best to worst as follows from my experience playing since the begining of the series:

RE4 (GameCube)
    RE1 (GameCube remake)
    RE2 (PSX)
    RE1 (PSX)
    Code Veronica (Dreamcast)
    __________________
    RE5 (PS3/X360)
    RE3 (PSX)
    All the other sub titles fall here

Very much looking forward to officially announced, and long time silent, PSP RE, along with eventual RE 6 (no doubt a “reboot”).

20. Alakratt

I’d agree with the Dr., but would switch CV for RE3. Didn’t like CV that much, but RE3, even if it used the same old engine I loved the Nemesis chases and that “dynamic” decision making.

21. osric90

Gears of War-like controls for next Resident Evil (cannonical and Japanese please, we don’t want more screw ups and “reboots”).

22. TraceableX

Lol the series is now about ACTION, not horror. I miss old RE games.

23. AHA-Lambda

@22 – me too :(

RE4 at least had a really good balance of both with the first ever time where the controls actually worked. Now the resi dream is over

24. DaMan

the leap from RE2 to RE3 was about as huge as between 1 and 2.. with the quality being pretty much the same in all titles, it only became tad bit more of an action game.

I never judged REs based on how scary they were, since I don’t feel they even came close to that at any point in time. tense, jumpy, anything but not scary.

the only Re I ‘ve always loathed was CV. the story alone is still giving me headaches. probably the worst of them all.

25. AHA-Lambda

yea CVX wasn’t great =/

i guess looking back on re1, 2 and 3 is abit rose tinted. Obviously we can say the controls sucked and tbh they weren’t scary (not many horror games are tho) but when they’re one of the few survival horror games of its time you take what you can get and of course it was amazing for its time tank controls and all :P

RE5 tho is just a goddamned action game and a poor one at that!

@24 – re5 story was even worse than cvx imo but they’re close! D:

26. DaMan

I agree that they’re close in the sense of their silliness, but the issue I ‘m having with CV is that it was so sickening, in a bad way. the game would be much better without Steve too.

I never thought the first three ones were lame whatsoever, the controls were perfect for that kind of levels’ scale, and they were heaps of fun and addicting, the games deserved every copy sold back then. I don’t believe Capcom even tried to make them scary, if they did they would take the SH route like Konami.

27. AHA-Lambda

yea steve sucked but that whole cross dressing brother/sister sub plot was well worse D;

and yea RE was awesome i’m just saying it’s probably really lame to look back on now lol

28. theevilaires

@ Dr.G very good man. @ Alakratt I agree with you more though. Maybe because I finally over came my fear and RE3 was my first game in the series I beat but yea I liked it a lot and put it over Code Veronica.

RE0 and RE1 for gamecube are two of the best looking games last gen. Gotta youtube em and compare them next to RE5.