Microsoft: “Discussions” with BBC over iPlayer for 360 “going on”

Wednesday, 10th November 2010 13:32 GMT By Johnny Cullen

BBC iPlayer

Xbox UK boss Stephen McGill has told EG that Microsoft is still having “discussions” with the BBC over iPlayer for 360.

“There are conversations going on,” he said ahead of Kinect’s UK and European launch today.

“The thing for us is, how do we add some magic sauce to that so that it’s different? A lot of people are watching that on their PC. How many people are going to watch it on the console unless we add something different?

“That’s one of the things we talked about when Sky came out – how we could make it more intuitive, the social side of things, party mode environments… We put those together with Sky and launched our service. So you should talk to the BBC.”

Last year, a BBC source said iPlayer for 360 was suspended indefinitely due to Microsoft wanting it to be a Gold-only service. The BBC keeps it free to everyone as part of the TV licence.

And at E3, Microsoft UK boss Neil Thompson the service wasn’t exactly on the list.

1. Blerk

Pft. Rubbish – everyone knows it’s about money (or lack thereof, where the BBC is concerned), not ‘adding magic’.

2. daytripper

i wish some of these interviewers would be a bit more upfront, i’d probably ask

“Why do you feel the need to add bbc iplayer to xbox live as part of a gold subscription when its free elsewhere, such as the competition”

“does it really need social features”

3. Callum

Blerk thats what magic sauce means in Microsoft language…money!

And your right, they are thinking of the right way to market an already free product in a way that they can charge for it.

You heard it here first! BBC Iplayer on Xbox: full access to all your favourite TV shows on demand making the unmissable, unmissable. For just £3.99 extra a month you can share favourites and recomendations with your friends, see what your buddies are watching and join them to have a chat over Xbox live while your program is on.

4. scuz

It’ll be Microsoft that want to monetise it. They want to monetise everything.

5. Suikoden Fan

i’m sorry that this will sound faboyish but @4 thats exactly why i hate microsoft. but thats not to say the others are perfect, they are not.

6. RandomTiger

Most folks TV’s are bigger than their monitors, that’s enough to make people use it. Get it done already.

7. OrbitMonkey

“Magic sauce” has got to be the best euphemism for “how to separate a fool from their money” I’ve heard in awhile :D

8. Psychotext

Unless they give it a proper interface (not just link to the website) then I’m not interested. Do what Virgin Media does and give it a proper front end.

9. Blerk

I’m not interested even if they do. :-D

10. Psychotext

If I’m honest I’d still probably just use it on my V+ box.

11. Blerk

Quite. As far as I can tell the only real reason for me to use iPlayer is to sneakily watch telly while I’m at work. :-D

12. McLovin85

Was gonna say exactly what @6 said. The plus side of having it on a console is that you can watch it on your big TV. That’s the reason i use it quite a lot on my PS3 as i can sit on my couch and relax rather than being all hunched over.

13. Ge0force

At least one company has a problem with microsoft demanding a paying subscription for a free service.

14. NiceFellow

Unless I’m missing something this can only work if MS relax their rule and allow Silver members to get access, too.

Personally, I think the Facebook, etc. access should be for Silver members anyway. I can’t believe people accept MS sliding a fee between their ISP costs and otherwise free internet access.