DirecTV dumps G4 due to low viewer base

Tuesday, 2nd November 2010 14:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

g4

DirecTV has dropped G4 from its channel line-up after negotiations between the station’s parent company Comcast and the satellite TV provider fell through.

According to a representative for DirecTV speaking with Entertainment Weekly, the firm is “no longer negotiating” and “have no plans to put G4 back up.

“We are constantly evaluating our lineup in a new world where programming costs continue to rise at significant rates,” said the spokesperson. “Since G4 is among the lowest rated networks based on the latest Nielsen data, we decided that it made sense to focus on preserving programming that is more relevant to our larger customer base.”

G4 said it offered the provider “the same basic deal” it’s had with DirecTV for the past three years.

“They still plan to drop the network and deny G4 fans the only network that focuses on the popular gaming lifestyle,” a G4 rep told EW.

Best known for Attack of the Show, X-Play, Web Soup and the awesome Ninja Warrior, G4 is also known for showing massive blocks of COP reruns, which might’veĀ  had something to do with the low numbers. If you look at the November 6 schedule, which is a Saturday, COPS is on from 9:00am until 4:30pm – followed by Cheaters and loads of Campus PD “Spring Break” episodes.

Don’t worry about Olivia though, Munn fans, her film Freeloaders in currently in post-production and was seen recently hanging out with Justin Timberlake, so, she’ll fare well.

1. KAP

The only thing that made G4 what it is was Olivia Nunn, shes gone so all the nerds have obviously fucked off with her, not to mention that Adam Sessler is the most annoying fucker to grace the internet since ever!

VG247TV… thats what we need!!!!

2. markheg5980

i have G4 on my cable network and it is a disgrace. every time i go and check to see what is on it has nothing to do with video games!

3. Stephany Nunneley

@1 Actually, Adam Sessler is probably one of the nicest people you will ever meet. Seriously, he is super nice.

But I agree with @2. It’s not about gaming anymore. I mean, Ninja Warrior is a fun show. Not about gaming, but we love it around here just for the antics of the people who dress up and fail the first challenge. ( like I could get passed one step on that or something).

I have DishNet so, I will still get it G4, but I hope this makes the channel owners wise up regarding the programing schedule a bit.

4. Johnny Cullen

TBH, it was probably Adam Sessler that made G4 what it was with stuff like this.

He can be serious too, as shown on his Soapbox stuff. But he is a funny thing.

God, I fucking love Adam Sessler.

5. Erthazus

Olivia Munn left G4? Really?

PS: Adam Sessler is actually a good guy. I remember when there was interview with Naughty Dog. He was awesome there.

I never liked a staff there that was full of nerdy youngsters… But thats just me.

6. lexph3re

I got sick of g4 when they started playing cops 2.0 all the time

7. spiderLAW

Adam Sessler is the man. Kevin can be funny at times. Morgan Webb is a dumb xbox fangirl bitch with no gaming skills what-so-ever. Olivia Munn was a wannabe gaming/tech nerd that is Mediocre hot at best. Im glad she is gone really. AOTS has had someway better guest hosts since she has been gone.
    its cops, Cheaters, and other dumb shit that is ruining the station.

8. KAP

@3 You can still be a nice guy but have no clue about video games. Adams sessler should go over to QVC.. it’ll suit him more.

9. mathare92

CNN got him on to talk about the SCOTUS recently http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2010/11/01/exp.am.scotus.video.games.cnn

10. MushroomStamp

I like Attack of the Show and X-play. Watch it daily. But those are the only shows of interest. Agreed, it’s low ratings are because 95% of everything is a repeat. Repeats of crap shows at that.

11. theevilaires

LMAO @7 you hit the nail on the head buddy :D Although I was never too fond of Pereira.

12. spiderLAW

@11 Neither was i but i can admit that i have had a few chuckles at his expense. I think Chris Hardwick is funnier, just too bad he is an Apple fanboy that sold his soul to Steve Jobs

13. AlmightyDogbert

KARMA.
    They spawned Olivia Munn, therefore the channel must be destroyed.
    She gets on the daily show? There is so many great comedians that are grinding the comedy circuit and Jon and many of the others did before any sort of break, and she is just the “hot chick” of a pretty poor gaming channel that she didn’t care about at all.

14. XxT_I_K_IxX_PR